• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Extella Action Game for PS Vita/PS4 Unveiled

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
I'm confused, is it a fighting game? An Action-RPG? Does it have any multiplayer at all? He's just calling it an action game, but not Extra 3, so now I have no idea what type of game it is. Those screenshots don't give me a clear idea either.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:37 am Reply with quote
Thank god, this means it isn't another rock, paper scissors game. I mean it could still end up being bad, but I'm definitely interested in following it now.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
I wonder where the sudden interest in this franchise came from. I stumbled upon if by chance but now I'm seeing stuff for this series popping up frequently. Didn't the VN release in 2004?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
I wonder where the sudden interest in this franchise came from. I stumbled upon if by chance but now I'm seeing stuff for this series popping up frequently. Didn't the VN release in 2004?

There's been one new Fate project pretty much every year, if not more often than that. "Re-imagining historical (or even fictional) figures as fighters (and sometimes also cute girls)" is a pretty easy setting.
terminus24

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
It's Marvelous, so I'd bet it'll play like Senran Kagura, which would be pretty cool by me, especially after Extra's really meh gameplay.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:32 am Reply with quote

It isn't sudden. Fate has been incredibly popular since the VN came out. That the VN came out that long ago and it is still such a big deal should be an indicator of how strong the fan base is.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote

There's more to anime, manga and videogames than what you see in sites like ANN, where they cover just what they like or what panders more to the casual western otaku.

Since its release in 2004, there's always been constant Fate content every year in many different forms. The West is just ignorant of this stuff and believe Fate started with Zero in 2012, because the average otaku in the West only watches anime.

Here's the story of TYPE-MOON if you're interested, it's a good read: http://tsukikan.com/history.html

Fate/EXTELLA will be the 3rd installment of the Fate/EXTRA series, originally released for the PSP in 2010.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
Oh no please not that janken-pon gameplay..
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
Awesome, a Fate Musou game.

But why does it have to have Nero? C'mon Nasu, put in better characters like Marie, or Karna, or Astolfo.

Oh well, at least Tamamo's coming back and bringing Attila with her: http://gematsu.com/2016/03/fateextella-announced-ps4-ps-vita
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
plot wise, it seems to be a sequel of fate extra and now we know that nero won.

terminus24 wrote:
It's Marvelous, so I'd bet it'll play like Senran Kagura, which would be pretty cool by me, especially after Extra's really meh gameplay.

yeah, there was a mention of one against a thousand (ikkitousen) so it will most likely be a musou-ish game.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
I'm on the countdown site now and it still says that there are 2 hours left...
xFlintx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Awesome, a Fate Musou game.

But why does it have to have Nero? C'mon Nasu, put in better characters like Marie, or Karna, or Astolfo.

Oh well, at least Tamamo's coming back and bringing Attila with her: http://gematsu.com/2016/03/fateextella-announced-ps4-ps-vita

marie and shitolfo are shit and nero was part of the last 2 games
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
A Fate Musou game can actually be really neat. I hope we get playable servants from across the Fate universe.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Like others have said it's had pretty consistent content since the first VN's release but IMO it never felt quite as omnipresent and like the biggest thing out there like it does in recent years. I keep insisting to people it's currently the most popular and talked about franchise in the online anime scene but for some reason they disagree.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Like others have said it's had pretty consistent content since the first VN's release but IMO it never felt quite as omnipresent and like the biggest thing out there like it does in recent years. I keep insisting to people it's currently the most popular and talked about franchise in the online anime scene but for some reason they disagree.

Because for the western fan, if it doesn't have an anime it doesn't exist. TYPE-MOON is a game company after all.

I like it this way better, the fanbase is big but doesn't stand out. We will always get content in Japan even if TM stuff isn't popular or doesn't get localized in the west. In that regard, maybe Zero did something good as it presented TM/Fate stuff to the casual otaku as something completely different compared to what the whole Fate franchise tries to deliver, so now they'll stay away from any other TM/Fate stuff in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2