• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akira in Color with Steve Oliff

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oliff has released several of his original colored guides from AKIRA, making them available for sale through his art dealer, Felix Comic Art.

The first online sale of over 100 pages sold out within 2 days. But according to Felix Lu from Felix Comic Art, this is only the first wave of pages that will be made available for sale.

RIP my paycheck.

I was given the first 4 issues for free by a friend. I was initially skeptical of the "colored" manga version. I was familiar with manga, and having seen a few beautiful, watercolor, full color manga pages in my time, I figured that generic American comic coloring at the time would be super lame.

But then I looked at the actual coloring for Akira... and it was actually, surprisingly, pretty freaking gorgeous.

So then I bought ALL THE BACKISSUES (including the stupid expensive final issues). And I am really happy that I did so. This article even makes me MORE happy, since I had NO PRIOR IDEA that Akira had a role in transitioning American comics to digital color.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
If this is going to be a thing, I will sell my current copies. The colour keeps all of the Japanese stylings intact.
DrunkAyanami
Get off my lawn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
If this is going to be a thing, I will sell my current copies. The colour keeps all of the Japanese stylings intact.

I still have my 6 oversized Dark Horse volumes, which are really nice in and of themselves. They make for really nice reading copies, and I think they are generally still pretty affordable.

My Epic/Marvel collection though, I will keep bagged and boarded.

Both are flipped to read left-right, but as the article mentions, Otomo would actually redraw panels himself if something didn't fit. The only other manga series I've heard of that did that was the (criminally underrated, at least in the US) Blade of the Immortal.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Akira Club, the big Japanese Akira artbook, actually uses color spreads from the Marvel edition for all the frontispieces and has a short section detailing the process of making the Western version.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Oh, and for the record, yes, fans in Japan do collect the color editions of Akira, too. Especially the rare hardcover books which I wish would make a comeback.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
I wish they'd reprint this color edition. I have only one issue which I must have picked up from some used book store over a decade ago.
Distant Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
I've actually signed up just to mention that there EXISTS a version of Akira in full colors with hardcovers in 195mmx295mm. The 13 volumes are there with the 14th artbook.

It's by the French publisher Glénat.
Felixcomicart

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to Deb Aoki for the interview!

Just to correct something, though, we sold out of over 300 color guides, not 100. The response was insane. Steve is extremely grateful!

We are planning another sale soon, with just as many guides, and even better, we're going to keep the prices in the same range ($40-$500). So if anyone missed the first sale, you'll soon get another chance.

But this will be the last sale of this size we'll be able to do as there won't be enough pieces left to do it again.

As the article states, if anyone's interested in finding out when the next sale will happen, please sign up for the mailing list on my site. Thanks for reading!

Felix
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
This is the best version of the Akira manga. I'd love to own all of it, but much of it is so hard to find now. I refuse to pick up the current editions in-print because it's just so underwhelming in comparison. Also, I'd only consider getting the B&W Japanese version if it was unflipped.

I think the only way to get the whole series in color is to collect via the original individual comics. The later issues weren't collected into graphic novels.
Felixcomicart

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Finally, the news you've been waiting for: The AKIRA color guide sale is happening tomorrow, Wednesday May 25th, at 12PM PST! Set your alarms!

Our last show featured over 300 pieces and was a complete sell-out. We will again have 300+ pieces from all six voumes for this sale, and even better, the prices will remain the same! The range will be from $40 to $500...something for every budget!

For more details, check out the news section:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/NewsDetail.asp?n=168

See you all tomorrow and good luck!

Felix
www.felixcomicart.com
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1