• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Flying Witch Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Good pickup. I'm happy to see Sentai get this one.

Mark Gosdin
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Noooooo D:

EDIT: I totally thought that FUNimation had this?
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Now it wont get a dub for sure..... -deep sigh- Rolling Eyes
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
That's good, because judging by the first episode, this will almost certainly become a must buy for me.

I woulda liked seeing it with a dub too, but what can you do?
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Good pickup from Sentai, from the first episode this show is incredibly relaxing to watch, exactly the type of show I expected / wanted it to be.

Knight-Hart wrote:
Noooooo D:

EDIT: I totally thought that FUNimation had this?

Nah, Crunchyroll are streaming it but that's it. FUNi spent all their money on Academia.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

If you want a dub, make sure to let them know. Hearing requests from fans has caused them to produce dubs for shows, as well as add limited editions of shows (like Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun).
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

If you want a dub, make sure to let them know. Hearing requests from fans has caused them to produce dubs for shows, as well as add limited editions of shows (like Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun).
Uh we are here talking about Sentai my friend. ENOUGH shows that deserve a dub but never got one.

Just a few examples: The Pet Girl of Sakurasou , My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU , Golden Time, To LOVE-Ru +sequels, Blue Spring Ride ,Amagi Brilliant Park, Waiting in the Summer , Amagami SS , The Fruit of Grisaia series, Shirobako and many more....
Barciad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Very promising start. Hope to keep up with it.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Just a few examples: The Pet Girl of Sakurasou , My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU , Golden Time, To LOVE-Ru +sequels, Blue Spring Ride ,Amagi Brilliant Park, Waiting in the Summer , Amagami SS , The Fruit of Grisaia series, Shirobako and many more....

Amagi Brilliant Park hasn't even been solicited yet (that's probably still some time away). We don't know whether it's getting a dub or not.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

Uh we are here talking about Sentai my friend. ENOUGH shows that deserve a dub but never got one.

I don't know about some of those examples. But another way to look at it is this: If it's slice-of-life, it may likely not get a dub.

And speaking of Waiting in the Summer, I'd have only accepted a dub if Bridget Hoffman provided that particular voice at the end of the show Wink

Last edited by Asrialys on Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Booyah! My favorite company picks up my favorite series from Spring. I hope I continue to like it. Sentai's pickups from 2016 have been underwhelming, but Flying Witch is a great get.

TheMorry wrote:

Quote:

Just because you like a particular show does not mean it makes financial sense to dub it. From the stuff you list, I would agree that Sakurasou, Waiting in the Summer and Amagi make sense to dub. But the rest of the titles you mention (even the great Shirobako) are niche.

If Flying Witch becomes at least somewhat popular, there is a high chance that Sentai is going to dub it.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Booyah! My favorite company picks up my favorite series from Spring. I hope I continue to like it. Sentai's pickups from 2016 have been underwhelming, but Flying Witch is a great get.

TheMorry wrote:

Quote:

Just because you like a particular show does not mean it makes financial sense to dub it. From the stuff you list, I would agree that Sakurasou, Waiting in the Summer and Amagi make sense to dub. But the rest of the titles you mention (even the great Shirobako) are niche.

If Flying Witch becomes at least somewhat popular, there is a high chance that Sentai is going to dub it.
I know that , im not stupid. But me as a fan would want those dubbed. I dont buy subbed. Because if they ever go back and dub it I've to buy it twice, I refuse that. But honestly if there is a fanbase for a pure shoujo anime like Skip Beat everything is possible lol.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
TheMorry wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

TheMorry wrote:

Quote:

I know that , im not stupid. But me as a fan would want those dubbed. I dont buy subbed. Because if they ever go back and dub it I've to buy it twice, I refuse that.
But honestly if there is a fanbase for a pure shoujo anime like Skip Beat everything is possible lol.
Quote:

I wish companies like Sentai would at least try to follow Skip Beat, just to see what happens with series like Shirobako. Who knows what the results could be if it is given the chance. I would support a kickstarter to get some series like that a dub.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool hopefuly they will dub it
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

Amagami Brilliant Park is Kyo Ani so that should get a dub eventually... even if they release a sub only version first, again. The rest of the list is a long list of depression for me though.

But these are niche? How many otome dubs have they done? Shining Bread? Levithan? What about those seasons of that absurd puzzle shounen series? They dubbed Maid Sama and Golden Time is a much better complete story, Pet Girl as well, but they just license them, dump them and walk away.

Oh right, the show Flying Witch. Nice catch, hope they do something with it. Start with the title, work your way up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2