• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Japan Streams Kuromukuro Anime With English Subtitles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RacistPenguin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
That's... a strange thing to do.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:34 am Reply with quote
Netflix needs to change. I get that the whole binge-watching thing is their claim to fame, but if they want to get serious about anime, they can't keep doing that. A few other countries get shows on Netflix after a new episode airs, much the same way Hulu works. Yet for some reason they don't do this in America. If they're going to continue worldwide licensing anime each season, they need to do what the other legal sites do and release it each week.

If Amazon were to go the Netflix route with their Noitamina deal, people would be furious. Having to wait who knows how long for a show to be released is dumb, especially if it's a show with a lot of hype.

I guess with fansub groups growing lazy in recent years, and pretty much only editing crunchyroll and funimation subs, instead of doing their own translations, Netflix can get away with waiting months to release their shows.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:51 am Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
I guess with fansub groups growing lazy in recent years, and pretty much only editing crunchyroll and funimation subs, instead of doing their own translations, Netflix can get away with waiting months to release their shows.

Yeah, considering all Netflix shows I know of (Sidonia, Nanatsu and now this) have weakly fansubs, you are wrong. We've never had to wait for Nexflix to release anime in order to watch it.
FtKaru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:

While that is definitely true to some extent, Kuromukuro has fansubs.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
All things considered, I do agree that fansubs have definitely dropped in quality now that their usefulness has been greatly diminished by the ready availability of higher quality legally produced subtitles. I mean, by the time Expelled from Paradise got good fansubs the English dub had already come out on Blu-ray. And don't get me started on the long wait for the Mourestu Pirates movie.

That being said, a 4 day gap is plenty of time for someone to make decent quality fansubs. So yes, Netflix do need to step up their game a bit.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote
Ummmm... thanks for the big fat middle finger, Netflix, it was quite delicious.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote
Well, ain't that fun...
chito895

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
If only I could use my proxy connection again...
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
I am going to assume it has something to due with how the contract went out for the international distribution, possibly something about the product in a "complete form" so that Netflix can release it on a regular schedule for the North American region, the reason for this is that Netflix can higher whoever is Officially translating the series and hit the whole series in one go thus limiting labor time to the most efficient time table.

Aside from releasing the series on Netflix with an official dub, that would be the only "logical" reason for the delay, the other reason would be boardroom madness.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
Netflix needs to change. I get that the whole binge-watching thing is their claim to fame, but if they want to get serious about anime,

that's just the thing,they aren't,its just another thing in their list of genres of shows they acquire,and i don't expect for this to change in the immediate future either. i will say this though,i do remember at least one televisionshow that was simulcasted (not anime perse) and shown after television airing,and not at all at once,which they love to do here.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Netflix needs to get out of anime! It's just that simple!
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
despite the mediocre ratings

this series wasn't so bad. not many mechs with swords series out there
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1