• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Apr 22-28

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Once again I will question the big mysteries of math and ask how is it that Flying Witch went up in the week to week ranking but went down in the cumulative ranking. But the biggest math mystery is how Kabaneri kept its spot in the cumulative ranking after dropping 9 positions in week to week ranking.
crx07

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
@angelmcazares There's no wonder here.
1.) In the case of Flying Witch:
If we concentrate only on Flying Witch and Assassination Classroom and disregard everything else, it would be easier to understand and it would make more sense.
In episode 1, Flying Witch > AssClass. So we should expect Flying Witch to be higher in the cumulative rankings.
In episode 2, Ass Class overtook Flying Witch in weekly rankings but AssClass failed to overtake in the cumulative. I will not post most of my speculations here because it's too long.
In episode 3, Ass Class is still preferred over Flying Witch in the weekly rankings. AssClass even took the top spot. And the cumulative ranking switch finally happened.
2.) In the case of Koutetsujou no Kabaneri:
Only JoJo, Boku no Hero, Ushio, Flying Witch, Kiznaiver, Re:Zero, and One Piece have a shot at overtaking KnK. KnK unanimously won the preference ranking in all episodes of all other anime that are not listed above, so it would make sense for them not to overtake KnK in the cumulative ranking. Only JoJo has a real shot in overtaking KnK since the other anime listed just got dominated in the earlier weeks and JoJo stuck near KnK. But JoJo cannot overtake.
I wish I can get the copy of the data of the stats.

Last edited by crx07 on Tue May 03, 2016 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Shame Tanaka isn't being reviewed. That show has started coming on in the last two episodes.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
TheTsunami wrote:
Shame Tanaka isn't being reviewed. That show has started coming on in the last two episodes.

This. I think it has really worked when it is not solely focused on Tanaka. The side characters focused on have more interesting personalities than Tanaka. I especially liked last week's Shiraishi episode. I actually prefer Shiraishi's more plain look.

On another note, I briefly posted a response to Angel's query but got ninja'd by #844903. I will add that the cumulative is slower and less noisy by design, which is why it took till this week for Assassination Classroom to overtake Flying Witch and why Kabaneri is still on top.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I guess the past arc on Assasination Classroom is something a lot of people wanted to see
+ 光

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
About the episode rankings: I think all the shows more or less deserve their placings this week. So, even if my personal #1 dropped, I agree that every show above it really did have a better episode.

Also, if I feel that I like everything up to number 21, minus the 5 shows I don't watch, then I'd say it is a pretty nice season so far!
jiecut

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote

Yeah Schulze method is interesting.

One thing that could be modified could be the choice of winning votes or margins for defeat strength definition.

I've searched online and a lot of sources recommend winning votes. But that's mostly to do with elections and choosing the first place. I think margins could be better suited for this use case.
TeaOfTheBrits

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
TheTsunami wrote:

WHY IN THE HOLY HELL IS TANAKA NOT BEING REVIEWED??
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Assassination Classroom S2 is ranking very high. Kabaneri Fortress seems to be going well. I have yet to watch this show. I'm wondering if it will make my hair stand on end for sheer eeriness like the way AoT did (despite it's hits and misses).

Does anyone have an idea how long Assassination Classroom is going to go as far as the manga goes. Surprising that we got another season based on what's been released so far.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
^ The manga ended and the anime will adapt the ending.
xyz

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Can't understand the math but anyways, I'm more interested in their TV ratings in Japan.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
^ The manga ended and the anime will adapt the ending.

Oh good. I was trying to find this info on the wiki but you know that sometimes when they have an entry unless it's "finished" it will still be listed as ongoing. So I try to check as many sources as I can. We're buy the book so I need to get an idea of how many more issues are in the pipeline.

Thanks for the info. Wink
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
TeaOfTheBrits wrote:
TheTsunami wrote:

WHY IN THE HOLY HELL IS TANAKA NOT BEING REVIEWED??

It polled very poorly based on the first episode. Later episodes have been a big improvement and more people are talking about the show now, so we'll start covering it this upcoming weekend. Smile
LightYapper

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
In that case, I hope there will also be a weekly ranking for Tanaka starting next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1