• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jurassic World Co-Writer Derek Connolly Works on Pacific Rim 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Nice!
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to have a go with both Jurassic World 2 and Pacific Rim 2.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Wasn't Pacific Rim one of those movies that underperformed domestically but did really well internationally? I wonder if they're going to put that in mind in the writing.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I dunno about this sequel, the more hands it goes through the higher the chance that the script will be effectively incomprehensible which ends up being a mess on the big screen.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
yeah, I'm not too keen on the project being overhandled. All the best giant robot fare has a simple solid core. Also what are this guy's credentials on the genre? I am downright cynical about every western director until otherwise proven. We keep screwing up Godzilla, so Japan looks to revive it properly and brings in Super Otaku Anno who dedicates his life to his art. Over here we make a sequel to a giant robot movies and...the 2nd-string writer for an okay movie....eh. Well, its not getting my hype up. The Director's okay, I guess.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:52 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:

We keep screwing up Godzilla, so Japan looks to revive it properly

It had to be revived in the first place because the Japanese were screwing it up (Godzilla was a declining franchise), and the Japanese gave credit if not for the Hollywood version, there wouldn't be the Godzilla hype that's pushed them to make more Godzilla.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It had to be revived in the first place because the Japanese were screwing it up (Godzilla was a declining franchise), and the Japanese gave credit if not for the Hollywood version, there wouldn't be the Godzilla hype that's pushed them to make more Godzilla.

Aw, I really, really liked "Final Wars."

The Hollywood movie may have renewed interest at this time, but I think Toho would've eventually gotten around to making more anyway... Godzilla will go dormant for awhile and then come back again. It's always been that way.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:29 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Aw, I really, really liked "Final Wars."

The Hollywood movie may have renewed interest at this time, but I think Toho would've eventually gotten around to making more anyway... Godzilla will go dormant for awhile and then come back again. It's always been that way.

Oh definitely but who knows when that would had been. But it was definitely the success of the Hollywood Godzilla that pushed them:

• TOHO is producing a new work of its iconic film monster Godzilla for release throughout Japan in 2016. It will be the first Godzilla film by TOHO since 2004's Godzilla Final Wars. According to the Cinema Today website, the "legendary" Japanese franchise is undergoing a revival, in response to the heightened fan support after Gareth Edwards and Legendary Pictures' Hollywood Godzilla film became a worldwide hit.

Ever since Hollywood announced that Godzilla was to be resurrected, the expectation for another Japanese Godzilla grew. “We have received earnest requests for the revival from fans. We want to begin production as early as next summer,” a Toho official said.

The head of the new Godzilla project, veteran producer Taichi Ueda, told the press that, though Toho will not spend the $200 million reportedly lavished on the American “Godzilla,” “The time has come for Japan to make a film that will not lose to Hollywood.”

Over the years, Godzilla movies fell out of favor even among Japanese fans. Toho last produced a Godzilla film back in 2004, Godzilla: Final Wars, resulting in a dismal $12 million box office return.

But the latest Hollywood Godzilla, complete with spikes down its back and a terrifying roar, received relatively favorable reviews in Japan, unlike the 1998 Hollywood movie directed by Roland Emmerich, which purists hated.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
We keep screwing up Godzilla

The only screwup we ever did was Zilla/GINO (though even that spawned a TV series which was drastically superior). Even then, that ancient turd is a moot point by now. Final Wars wasn't complete suckage for that matter.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Just like the actual character, huh?

Just-another-face wrote:
The only screwup we ever did was Zilla/GINO (though even that spawned a TV series which was drastically superior). Even then, that ancient turd is a moot point by now. Final Wars wasn't complete suckage for that matter.

From what I hear, the American Godzilla in the 90's, even though Tohoand Godzilla fans hated it, was actually pretty popular in countries that never had an official Godzilla release prior. So even that has its fans.

I don't remember a TV series based on it though...the only Godzilla TV series I know about is the Hanna-Barbera cartoon, which I liked. Not sure what Godzilla fans thought of it though.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't remember a TV series based on it though...the only Godzilla TV series I know about is the Hanna-Barbera cartoon, which I liked.

There was an animated TV series on Fox Kids starring the only surviving (and fully male) offspring of the movie lizard mutant (basically it was a sequel to the events that happened). He worked with Nick and his science team, H.E.A.T., to stop mutation outbreaks. It was overall much better received in the U.S. than the movie (some of the voice cast from Gargoyles were in it, which helped) and it was a more modern take on the whole "humans calling Godzilla for help" thing that the H-B cartoon did, except the TV series GINO instinctually came to Nick's aid.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I remember that now. I didn't see any of it though.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Oh yeah, I remember that now. I didn't see any of it though.

If you have the time, I recommend checking it out. It's quite good, and it's aged better than most 90s cartoon series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1