• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Several Handshaking Events Cancelled After Idol Attack

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Dude this is something else. This to me only solidifies the importance of mental health in individuals who clearly have something wrong with them. Prayers go up to the young girl I hope the survives this. This only provides more stigma to the otaku / hikkomori association with the idol industry.

Last edited by itachi06103570 on Sun May 22, 2016 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
This is insane. (Like everything what's happening this year.)

My hopes go to her recover, she's too young.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm a girl who loves idol animes, games, the music, the outfits, the whole idol theme in general but I'm speechless and disgusted at this article.... this guy isn't the only one who takes it to this extreme. I admit I buy CD's, tons of merch, figures etc... of Love Live, own the animes etc... probably a lot more then many but what is it about these crazies who treat idols and the culture to this extreme? Can't people just enjoy the music/performances/animes etc... and treat the idols as people and not a "possession"? Embarrassing... I don't know who the idol in this article is but I really hope she can make a full recovery.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
This is terrifying. It's even worse when seeing this sort of sentiment toward an idol is unsurprising.

My thoughts go out to Mayu Tomita and every other idol in the industry.
Niyari

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
yikes that is horrible. pretty soon these "events" are gonna have airport security
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man... The hikkikomori problem has really gotten out of control... Sad
I hope Ms. Tomita-san makes it through this alive--she's way too young to depart from this earth.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Niyari wrote:
yikes that is horrible. pretty soon these "events" are gonna have airport security

They already do to an extent. In 2014 2 AKB48 girls and a staffer got stabbed during a handshake event. Now all AKB48 events have you going through metal detectors and your bags searched. I don't know how much this applies to other idol groups.

This might make things worse though. :/
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
The type of otaku who likes 2D girls is often mocked by "real" idol fans. But I still find it's better to sleep with dakimakura at night rather than being obsessed to real person and ended up like this.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
The guy looks like he has some version of erotomania but that's only me speculating at this point. But overall it is definitely manic in nature I'm sure of that at least. Regardless mental health in Japan needs to be at the forefront in my opinion from this point forward.
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
This is terrible, and only makes it harder for normal otaku to enjoy the fandom. I hope she recovers from this ordeal, and I wish her a speedy recovery.
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
brucepuppy wrote:
The type of otaku who likes 2D girls is often mocked by "real" idol fans. But I still find it's better to sleep with dakimakura at night rather than being obsessed to real person and ended up like this.

But the 2D girl is voiced by a real person. Just ask Aya Hirano.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Wow. The guy is frankly obsessed. My heart goes out to the idol and her family during this difficult time.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Niyari wrote:

From what is reported here it looks like he was waiting for her at a train station and that's where the incident occurred. Looks like he had been stalking her and knew her movements and what train she caught! Scary stuff.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, please let her survive this horrible event. Just horrible. [/list]
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
She hasn't regained consciousness yet? Dear lord don't let this be the first fatality. The managers and everyone else in these agencies need to get their house in order, with the first order of business being the reigning in the deranged fans, it's time to tell them to knock it off. Second, hire bodyguards for the idols. If those aren't what they want, then they'll need to push the industry in a different direction (gear it towards kids and teens for example). These obsessed fans are becoming a threat to public safety.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5