• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Baby Steps Tennis Manga Gets Live-Action Drama Adaptation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KamikazeJawa

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
Dream Status: Crushed

Crunchyroll better at least pick this up when it airs....
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
Bleh....knew the odds were low. Still sucks.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:12 am Reply with quote
For the record, I haven't watched Baby Steps, so I'm indifferent towards the announcement with this series. But seeing announcements such as this makes me wonder who is the audience for live-action drama adaptations of a given manga title since the anime adaptation seems to have its own separate audience who generally wouldn't care as much for a live-action adaptation (or at least that's what I'm assuming).
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:12 am Reply with quote
Previous article already had a spoiler, so... saw it coming by miles...
Gotta wait patiently for S3. Cool
#Hgeronimo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:42 am Reply with quote
Oh Woooooow, big Thank you ... not!

who cares about a live action when you left the Anime at the most exciting moments?!

So disappointed ...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:10 am Reply with quote
A bit disappointed, but not all that surprised. Well, at least who prefer live-action get to enjoy this.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
But seeing announcements such as this makes me wonder who is the audience for live-action drama adaptations of a given manga title since the anime adaptation seems to have its own separate audience who generally wouldn't care as much for a live-action adaptation (or at least that's what I'm assuming).
*holds up hand* People like me who, especially for non-fantastical stories, would just as soon watch a live action version of the story, preferably starring some actor I enjoy seeing. And I'd wager that even in Japan there is a larger audience of potential viewers who have never heard of this manga and don't really watch anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Noooooooo

How would a live action even work? Most of the dialogue is in Ei-chan's head. Inner monologues work fine in manga and anime, but come off very corny in live action, makes me think of bad soaps.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
*holds up hand* People like me who, especially for non-fantastical stories, would just as soon watch a live action version of the story, preferably starring some actor I enjoy seeing. And I'd wager that even in Japan there is a larger audience of potential viewers who have never heard of this manga and don't really watch anime.

Ah, I see. That does helps explain what live-action drama fans would likely find interesting about the medium. Every time I see an announcement like this, I don't think I see the anime and J-drama fandoms overlap much in terms of being excited for a live-action adaptation. The only exception I've seen is the fans of Sailor Moon also having seen the musicals somehow. Anyway, thank you for the helpful response.
Miss Hachiko

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Noooooooo

How would a live action even work? Most of the dialogue is in Ei-chan's head. Inner monologues work fine in manga and anime, but come off very corny in live action, makes me think of bad soaps.

Nah. It'll work if it's directed right, and the actor could pull it off.
Here's one from the live-action version of Hanazakari no Kimitachi e/Hana Kimi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1