• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: The World's Biggest Visual Novels with Visual Art's

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
It feels strange how Key is going full force with their VN translations. Almost every major visual novel they've made is being translated except for Kanon, Air, and some Little Busters side material. Rewrite seems to be getting released much sooner than I expected with the Harvest Festa material to boot.

This speed probably has to do with them working with several different translators at once. Fruitbat is doing Little Busters, Amaterasu translations is working on Rewrite, and their in-house translation team (I assume) is doing Tomoyo After and Angel Beats. Harmonia is probably already done.

This seems overly complicated, but as long as they make a lot of money, it's probably fine.
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm all positive to the things happening in the VN world right now, but still, I didn't quite get the title Confused

In fact, I thought they would start talking about Umineko, until I saw Visual Art's, and then thought they were producing an even bigger VN (Umineko as a whole has 160+ hours of reading, without repeating any text, like branched VNs normally do, so, I would find that to be one hell of an achievement).
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see Visual Art's bring out some titles from their non-Key brands. Considering how Key is pretty much tapped out for new licenses, we might actually see something now.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I'd like to see Visual Art's bring out some titles from their non-Key brands. Considering how Key is pretty much tapped out for new licenses, we might actually see something now.

Honest question: like what? I bought the Visual Art's 20th anniversary book that's packed with info about the company and all their games and the first 150 of 225 pages are exclusively Key stuff. There's a character on the cover getting equal billing with Nagisa from Clannad and I had to dig like hell through the last part of the book (mostly just a list of releases with a few capsule summaries) to figure out who she was (she's from something called Kiseraki GoldStar). So, sure, there's technically other brands within VA, but I think it's fair to say they're utterly dwarfed by Key.
c933103

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
It feels strange how Key is going full force with their VN translations. Almost every major visual novel they've made is being translated except for Kanon, Air, and some Little Busters side material. Rewrite seems to be getting released much sooner than I expected with the Harvest Festa material to boot.

This speed probably has to do with them working with several different translators at once. Fruitbat is doing Little Busters, Amaterasu translations is working on Rewrite, and their in-house translation team (I assume) is doing Tomoyo After and Angel Beats. Harmonia is probably already done.

This seems overly complicated, but as long as they make a lot of money, it's probably fine.

You can't gt people pay for your product if they're only available as fans translation
Niyari

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
thanks for the interview, i always enjoy reading them.

personally i would love for them to consider bringing over Saga Planets titles. outside of Key it is their biggest brand. something like Hatsuyuki Sakura i feel would do good as an all-ages title
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Honest question: like what? I bought the Visual Art's 20th anniversary book that's packed with info about the company and all their games and the first 150 of 225 pages are exclusively Key stuff. There's a character on the cover getting equal billing with Nagisa from Clannad and I had to dig like hell through the last part of the book (mostly just a list of releases with a few capsule summaries) to figure out who she was (she's from something called Kiseraki GoldStar). So, sure, there's technically other brands within VA, but I think it's fair to say they're utterly dwarfed by Key.

My first choice is SAGA PLANETS' Hatsuyuki Sakura, and the second would be tone work's Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai. Both titles are highly-rated, absolutely gorgeous, and pretty new ('12 & '14).
FiveOVER

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Baba also explained that that while they may make some tweaks in upcoming projects to make them more accessible to non-Japanese audiences, they are not anticipating specifically catering to Western audiences in the near future.

With all this talk about visual novel creators noticing the west, I was worried that the content itself would be change to suit western tastes and sensibilities. Thank goodness that is not the case. Visual novel creators catering to western audiences will be the last thing I want to happen. Hopefully, the Japan market remain their first priority.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
^
One thing they did say that they would endeavor to work into the VNs/KNs a bit more were explanations of certain items or concepts that non-Japanese might not be familiar with. Based on the examples they cited, though (do school uniforms really need to be explained?), I question whether or not they had a good sense of what those things would be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm still really sad that they're changing Rewrite story. I mean, I had no hope the anime would be any good when I saw that Studio 8-Bit was doing it, so I have no hype for it despite it being my favorite Visual Novel....but I would like it to be good so it doesn't harm the franchise name. Really happy almost all their VNs are finally legitly coming over.

spoiler[I thought it was fairly obvious in Rewrite since they seemed to hint that Kotarou had some memory of the alternative worlds in TERRA, that it wasn't a "Continuous" story, but rather that they happened parallel. ]
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

spoiler[I thought it was fairly obvious in Rewrite since they seemed to hint that Kotarou had some memory of the alternative worlds in TERRA, that it wasn't a "Continuous" story, but rather that they happened parallel. ]

Same. I also thought that it was pretty obvious that the game's main theme was along the the lines of spoiler[ while humans are the children of the Earth, they aren't supposed to preserve it at all costs. Rather, they should move onto the future, even if it means sacrificing their home and themselves to some extent].
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I'm still really sad that they're changing Rewrite story. I mean, I had no hope the anime would be any good when I saw that Studio 8-Bit was doing it, so I have no hype for it despite it being my favorite Visual Novel....but I would like it to be good so it doesn't harm the franchise name. Really happy almost all their VNs are finally legitly coming over.

encrypted12345 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Same. I also thought that it was pretty obvious that the game's main theme was along the the lines of spoiler[ while humans are the children of the Earth, they aren't supposed to preserve it at all costs. Rather, they should move onto the future, even if it means sacrificing their home and themselves to some extent].

Instead of throwing a tantrum and not adding anything to the discussion, as well as reinforcing misconception and spreading misinformation, I'll just say this:

They're not changing the ENTIRETY of the story, they're changing the middle of the common route in order to allow clarity of the full story (which Kougerou partially got right).

@Kougeru, this has been said before but please do not allow your blanket judgement of studio 8-bit itself affect your anticipation/enjoyment towards the anime. They're just the construction crew given orders from the higher-ups on what to make. As has been stated before, Tanaka Romeo and some of Key's staff are working closely and showing up at the meetings with the entire production committee.

There's also been interviews with the people involved to which they talk about what they have been doing, what they want to do, things they needed to cut or change for the anime. Tweets from the director himself and another of Key's staff have talked about it. All this information has been available since the Rewrite anime has been green-lit here (The person who even translated the interviews compiled the list for easy access with other links to sources for the information to answer your needs):

EDIT: This link also includes spoilers if you have not played the VN.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1482310&show=800#msg45658634
Aspirety

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:51 am Reply with quote
To the author: Can you comment on what is meant by 'Mainstream Title'? It seems like a pretty vague term to use here.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
^
Anything in quotes is word-for-word what the speaker said (albeit through a translator). I can only speculate that he probably meant "not an ero game."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1