• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
First Impressions: Netflix's Voltron Legendary Defender

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captokita

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
Errr... why is the first picture in an article about Voltron Gaogaigar???? Confused

After the last release trailer, I find myself looking forward to this. I go in expecting it to be meh, so anything above that will be a bonus.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Because this is trying to channel the King of Braves? Which is a great thing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Because I left the wrong image inside the HTML image tag! It's been fixed now, thanks.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Huh, I was never super into Voltron or anything, so this held no nostalgia value. I was figuring I would give it a pass.

However, I heard who was animating it, and that certainly piqued my interest (I'm a big fan of the animation in the Avatar series). And now you talk of fun character dynamics? Good characters can get me to like pretty much ANYthing, so I think I'll check this out now Very Happy
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
Never saw the original Voltron. I grew up on the Third Dimension instead and I remember liking it. Up until they started using that ugly ass Stealth Voltron, anyways. I might give this show a look.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering. Is Hunk's VA, Tyler Labine, living in Vancouver?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What made Voltron, the original Voltron, the TV series bowdlerization of Toei's Golion, work?

We were children and this had robot tigers, big human fighting robots, and swords. I can watch a lot of stuff from when I was a kid (Saber Rider immediately comes to mind as it was of that time period) and see that it isn't great, but there's still something to like. They released a movie version (or gathered the first few episodes as a movie) when I was a kid and I rented it like at least 5 mes in a row before my Mom banned it because Blockbuster wouldn't sell her a copy of it and she was done renting that same thing over and over. Voltron sucks though. I don't find it watchable at all. Tiny Toons is still good, Rescue Rangers is still enjoyable, Duck Tales is win... Voltron is balls. You can not recapture what made it popular because it was actually bad and I don't know anyone that's going to risk purposely making a bad cartoon to see if that somehow works again.

Zack Snyder it and be like, "all attention goes into making it look cool." If anything, that's probably what sold Voltron the most back in the day.
Sprocket

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I think there were definitely some serviceable visuals in the original GoLion, and the robot had a design sense you don't see too much in giant robots, especially ones made out of animals, but thank god for Toonami re-airing it when I was in high school, or I'd be too dense to realize just how atrocious the dub was. Woof, was it bad.

Avatar and Korra did absolutely nothing for me, but I can't say this looks poor by any stretch, it's just not really what I'm looking for in my entertainment. More power to WEP if this takes off though!
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Since it's from two of the writers/directors of Korra, I really hope they'll took advantage of using the freedom Netflix gives to make this the first kids show ever to have an OPENLY GAY lead (again, "openly gay" so Korra's hints that Korra and Asami ends up together dosn't count).

There are like, what, five main boys? You could have two of them getting together.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
...Why?

Besides, it's everyone except the two leads who wrote that in. I just want a good show.
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
...Why?

Besides, it's everyone except the two leads who wrote that in. I just want a good show.

Why not?

But if you really want a reason it's really simple, because that would be, well, revolutionary. Will open the door for other kids shows to do the same, and do I really need to tell you why it's so important for kids to grow on shows with gay leads in them? It will make gay kids grow up realizing there's nothing worng with them and to non-gay kids to see there's nothing wrong with those other kids who are gay.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Sure, just don't make it token. I feel like making Lance for instance, who is pretty much Sokka as a super robot pilot, wouldn't work. Hunk? Maybe. Pidge? That might explain his introversion. I'm just saying give us some head's up.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
the stereotypical lack of women though....

hard pass.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Already the shipping begins.

I don't know though. Not sure if I can take this serious without an over-exaggerating Swedish character in the mix.
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
the stereotypical lack of women though....

hard pass.

I agree, it's very weird, especially considering one of the two showrunners is a female...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5