• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon Games' New Trailer Introduces More Pokémon, Battle Royal Feature

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
OMG, that bird pokemon looks just like Pearl from Steven Universe! That is hilarious!!!

Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Or, you know, a woodpecker...
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
The Battle Royal might be fun until three people gang up on you.
JDude042

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Looks good and even more polished than the previous 3DS games. Just as long as they stick to how they did it with X & Y and only introduce less than 20 new Pokemon, I'm down with that. We don't need over a hundred new Pokemon like they did with Black & White, especially considering how many of them are far from being practical for battle or are just bad rejects of previous Pokemon. As the Angry Video Game Nerd said in the Tiger Handheld games AVGN episode, "Quality over quantity! That's our lesson here."

I also thought it was supposed to be "Battle Royale" not "Royal."
Savion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Idk if its still to early to say this but most of the pokemon introduced so far haven't had a very "tropical" theme and thats disappointing to me. The pokemon themselves are cute but I want to see some reptiles, birds of paradise, jaguars and anacondas. I do like the new 'mons but I want something that looks like it came out of Guam, the Amazon or New Guinea lol.
Hoenn had that.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh my gosh, Yungoos is ADORABLE! Very Happy I wonder if they are gong to make it the pre-evolution to Zangoose.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
With its Ability Stakeout, Yungoos is particularly threatening towards Pokémon trying to switch in.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
Looks good and even more polished than the previous 3DS games. Just as long as they stick to how they did it with X & Y and only introduce less than 20 new Pokemon, I'm down with that. We don't need over a hundred new Pokemon like they did with Black & White, especially considering how many of them are far from being practical for battle or are just bad rejects of previous Pokemon. As the Angry Video Game Nerd said in the Tiger Handheld games AVGN episode, "Quality over quantity! That's our lesson here."

I also thought it was supposed to be "Battle Royale" not "Royal."

X and Y introduced 69 new pokemon.

Savion wrote:
Idk if its still to early to say this but most of the pokemon introduced so far haven't had a very "tropical" theme and thats disappointing to me. The pokemon themselves are cute but I want to see some reptiles, birds of paradise, jaguars and anacondas. I do like the new 'mons but I want something that looks like it came out of Guam, the Amazon or New Guinea lol.
Hoenn had that.

With tons of vibrant colours.
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
Just as long as they stick to how they did it with X & Y and only introduce less than 20 new Pokemon, I'm down with that. We don't need over a hundred new Pokemon like they did with Black & White, especially considering how many of them are far from being practical for battle or are just bad rejects of previous Pokemon.

But what's the point of a new game if they only introduce a dozen new Pokemon? At that point you can just play the older games. XY had like 60 new Pokemon though, which actually is the lowest, though they did add a lot of Mega forms which could fill the "quota" for new Pokemon (most gens had at least 100 new, except V which had a record of 150). XY also had the 3D switch, which was probably half the reason they added less new Pokemon. But now that they already have models (doesn't seem they updated any), they might just add hundreds of new.
JDude042

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:

I was thinking just in terms of dex number entries (like how Bulbasaur is #1 in the National Dex) back from when I was completing the National Dex on Alpha Sapphire, but I completely forgot Mega Evolutions counting as new Pokemon, so my mistake.

ZetaZaku wrote:
But what's the point of a new game if they only introduce a dozen new Pokemon? At that point you can just play the older games. XY had like 60 new Pokemon though, which actually is the lowest, though they did add a lot of Mega forms which could fill the "quota" for new Pokemon (most gens had at least 100 new, except V which had a record of 150). XY also had the 3D switch, which was probably half the reason they added less new Pokemon. But now that they already have models (doesn't seem they updated any), they might just add hundreds of new.

Again, I was thinking more in terms of dex entries and the whole theme of completing the Pokedex or "Gotta Catch'em All!" I understand totally that each new generation obviously is gonna need new Pokemon added, but I just think it's a bit off putting for people to want to complete the National Dex, when more and more Pokemon keep getting added. Obviously no one is forcing anyone to, but I am a bit of a completionist, and by that point it becomes more a chore compared back to when there were far less Pokemon. At least these days you only need to "see" the Pokemon and not actually have caught it to have it count towards your dex completion. I'm not sure if it's always been that way or if it was different in any of the previous installments.

It just goes back to my previous statement of "quality over quantity." We really don't need so many reject wannabees of old favorites, like I've always thought Muk was cool since back in the day. Was there really a demand for Pokemon like Trubbish and Garbador, or Deerling and Sawsbuck, or Luvdisc for that matter? I doubt it. Don't get me wrong, there are Pokemon in Gen 5 that I like a lot like Bisharp and Ferrothorn for example. I'm just saying I'd rather have less Pokemon if it brings in more well-designed and original Pokemon that actually bring some merit and value to the game, and not just the seventh generic copy of a previous generation Pokemon with some minor alterations.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
SnowWarren wrote:

I was thinking just in terms of dex number entries (like how Bulbasaur is #1 in the National Dex) back from when I was completing the National Dex on Alpha Sapphire, but I completely forgot Mega Evolutions counting as new Pokemon, so my mistake.

I wasn't counting Mega Evolutions. There are 69 brand new pokemon in X and Y.
99 if you count Mega Evolutions.

See for yourself.
http://serebii.net/xy/pokemon.shtml
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
The Battle Royal might be fun until three people gang up on you.

Shiny Legendary gang fight
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Yungoos looks like trump to me tbh Laughing
And it was so funny when nintendo treehouse got all exited when they found a wild pokemon in the grass thinking it would be a new one, and then it was Ledyba. I love E3.
JDude042

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
I wasn't counting Mega Evolutions. There are 69 brand new pokemon in X and Y.
99 if you count Mega Evolutions.

See for yourself.
http://serebii.net/xy/pokemon.shtml

Well I guess I need to own up to my mistake. Laughing Guess I'm pretty absent minded about the series since I haven't touched Alpha Sapphire in almost a year now.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I like Yungoos and Pikipek. I never was a fan of bug Pokémon. I wonder what Eevee evolution we'll get with this generation?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2