• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Dub Casts for Planetarian, Handa-kun, Saiki K., Show By Rock!! Short!!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
And still no cast for Love Live! Sunshine!!?

At least I already know one of the people in it... or at least I think I do.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
And still no cast for Love Live! Sunshine!!?

At least I already know one of the people in it... or at least I think I do.

Here ya go:

http://www.fandompost.com/2016/07/30/love-live-sunshine-anime-dub-cast-revealed/

For some reason Funimation wasn't allowed to post it, but Fandompost was. It's.... weird. Neutral
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:47 am Reply with quote
Somehow, I thought Sanrio USA would handle the English dub of Show by Rock!! themselves.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
For some reason Funimation wasn't allowed to post it, but Fandompost was. It's.... weird. Neutral
Apparently they initially got the info from Behind the Voice Actors. Question is, who posted it there? It must have been someone directly involved with the production if they managed to correctly guess every single voice actor. Fortunately it's looking to be on the higher end of the broadcast dub quality spectrum (Where Death Parade is the gold standard and Ultimate Otaku Teacher lies at the bottom).
Even if this is a sign that the higher ups are apathetic about the show (And I'm not saying that they are) that feeling definitely hasn't extended to the people directly involved with the dub's production.

Glad to see the Show by Rock cast return as well. Oddly enough, even though I'm not hugely in love with the series itself, I think Show by Rock is probably one of the best broadcast dubs yet. Both the cute girls and the buff bishonen are absolutely spot on. I might even buy the Blu-ray just to hear the English songs.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
Sigh. I just hate it when the anime I pick to watch for whichever season almost never get a Broadcast Dub.

I'm not watching any of these! Sad
RANGIT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Apparently they initially got the info from Behind the Voice Actors. Question is, who posted it there? It must have been someone directly involved with the production if they managed to correctly guess every single voice actor.

I thought of the same thing. I mean, even if you were able to watch the dub itself and correctly guess all of the voice actors, I highly doubt you'd find out who the assistant ADR director is. (The ADR director on the other hand is expected.)
I can't even see where the assistant ADR director is written on BTVA, so I'm sure that someone directly involved with the production sent the info out to TFP while also filling up the info on BTVA.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Even if this is a sign that the higher ups are apathetic about the show (And I'm not saying that they are) that feeling definitely hasn't extended to the people directly involved with the dub's production.

I'm sure they'd have posted the cast list before it was up if they were allowed to. They were even able to post about the a "new simulcast episode" release on time. It was quite sneaky even. While they didn't mention the English version dub specifically, clicking on their link will lead you straight to the episode selection (where you can see all the episodes including the English dub of course) and not the latest subtitled episode. If I have to take a guess, I think the Japanese just don't want a dub for the time being as I'm sure they want to keep the characters associated with their seiyuu. Maybe they'll be fine once the Japanese broadcast is over or at least a little more ahead than it is now.

Also there's this:
Godswill Ugwa wrote:

Since the Japanese and English episodes have been airing at the same time and day, FUNimation doesn't need to specifically say what version is up and can just continue advertising both as a new simulcast episode on Twitter. I don't know when they started scheduling their broadcast dubs to air at the same day and time as their Japanese episodes, but back when I've been actively watching, they weren't.
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
Haha, yes! David Matranga for the Junker in planetarian is exactly who I thought would get the role. Very suitable.

He's got pretty much the same personality as Tomoya from Clannad, so he won't need to deviate much from that role I'd imagine.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
robertbaldie wrote:
Haha, yes! David Matranga for the Junker in planetarian is exactly who I thought would get the role. Very suitable.

He's got pretty much the same personality as Tomoya from Clannad, so he won't need to deviate much from that role I'd imagine.

Matranga is great at warm and thoughtful (Tomoya in Clannad and Hinata in Angel Beats!), but the Junker also needs a gruff, blunt exterior at first, and that's a wait-and-see aspect of the character for me. His Sandek in Total Eclipse never really got to the character's authoritarian amorailty, but I think he was flat-out miscast in that show, and early Tomoya has the same emotionally broken feel as the Junker so… could work.

Also, man that's a lot of characters listed for a show where the Junker and Yumeni are like 99% of the dialogue. Are some of these characters the scientists in Yumeni's opening flashback, meaning they have like 1-2 lines each?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Also, man that's a lot of characters listed for a show where the Junker and Yumeni are like 99% of the dialogue. Are some of these characters the scientists in Yumeni's opening flashback, meaning they have like 1-2 lines each?

yeah, Bevins, George and Clinkenbeard are the the scientists
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
RANGIT wrote:
I don't know when they started scheduling their broadcast dubs to air at the same day and time as their Japanese episodes, but back when I've been actively watching, they weren't.

I'm pretty sure this is the way they've (at least mostly) done it since the second season they did broadcast dubs. The big exceptions are the three shows they pick each season for DubbleTalk, which are scheduled back-to-back on Wednesday. But most everything else has come at the same time as new subtitled simulcast episodes.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I see. I guess I've only been noticing their DubbleTalk schedules and whatever isn't airing alongside their subtitled simulcast.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
The two dubs I'm most excited for on this list are Planetarium and Show By Rock!! I'm especially excited for Planetarium since it's been fantastic so far and is one of my favorites this season. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1