• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
I just wanted to say bye to everyone here, well, for now anyway. I'm leaving for Japan tonight, and I'm not sure how soon and frequently I'll be coming back. Hopefully, when I am settled in, I'll be more of a regular again! Razz

This is definitely my favorite thread with all my favorite people. Embarassed

Have a safe flight! You'll be missed until you return to us!
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Good luck with your trip and I hope to see you posting again very soon! Let us know how you're enjoying Japan.

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
I just wanted to say bye to everyone here, well, for now anyway. I'm leaving for Japan tonight, and I'm not sure how soon and frequently I'll be coming back. Hopefully, when I am settled in, I'll be more of a regular again! Razz

This is definitely my favorite thread with all my favorite people. Embarassed

Be back soon! And keep reading Wink
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I will join all the people here and wish you the best of luck! Very Happy Hope will see you soon! Smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
On another note, I weighed 159lb. after practice today, despite having to go home early yesterday due to dehydration. Over the course of this month I've lost 13lb..
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Okay, another Friday is here...and it took FOREVER to arrive, too! Now is the time for all good readers to discuss Vol. 10!

It's summer vacation and the gang has gone to a Sohma Beach House. Once again, Haru is manipulating Kyo into enjoying himself. And back home Kisa is sweetly manipulating Hiro into going with her to the beach as well. And, Shigure is manipulating Akito into going as well...to spoiler[ "teach the others a lesson."]

And when Hiro and Kisa arrive at the house, pretty much instantly Hiro is grumpy. spoiler[And when he says that he doesn't want to share a room with anyone, Haru replies that Hiro would only share a room with Kisa..."How precocious."]

What is really difficult is that it is obvious that, like other members of the Zodiac, Hiro spoiler[doesn't like himself either.
Quote:
Why did it have to turn out this way?! I thought that coming here would make Kisa happy...That's why. But then I go and make her cry. I'm so stupid. I really am losing points. I'm a no-good hopless little brat, brat, brat...I haven't grown up at all. When ever I'm faced with something I don't like...I take it out on other people.
]
It's hard for me to remember being that young Rolling Eyes but I do understand how he wants to be grown up enough to spoiler[protect Kisa] and is continually reminded that he isn't spoiler[old enough or strong enough to do so yet.]

And while the kids are at the beach, Shigure goes to bother Mayu at her parents bookstore. And we see a flashback of when Mayu met Hatori spoiler[and her feelings about him.] It's very intersting on how she and Shigure actually got together. spoiler[Rather coldly actually.] Mayu also witnessed spoiler[Kana's breakdown when Hatori was injured by Akito and her shock that Kana did not remember her relationship with Hatori.] While she didn't really understand ALL of went on, she did somehow get Shigure to tell her about spoiler[the Sohma memory supression but not the other Sohma Secrets.] Can you imagine how hard it was for her to listen to her best friend spoiler[suggest that Mayu get together with Hatori and know that Kana didn't remember anything.] And, later, Hatori shows up at the bookstore. That tricky Shigure! Watching Mayu and Hatori together is really rather wonderful. They are going to be terrific together, I think.

And after, we get to see Hiro freak out over spoiler[his mother being pregnant. And his statement that she's a klutz. It's extrememly obvious that he loves his mother very much and that she loves him. A "normal' parent, albeit flaky, of a Zodiac child.]

But everything is not all Fun in the Sun...spoiler[Akito arrives.] And the Sun goes dark for Yuki and for the others because they have to spoiler[visit Akito.]

Another good volume but what I liked the best was the storyline with Mayu and Hatori.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, once again it is Friday and time to discuss vol. 11.

The gang is still at the Summer Home and are dealing with Akito being nearby.

I liked how Yuki warned Kyo not to lose it if Kyo came across Akito because Yuki spoiler[didn't want Tohru getting hurt.]

In this volume, Tohru finally meets Izuzu aka Rin. I have to say, I really don't like Rin. I realize that she has issues (other than being a member of the Zodiac) but she really is not all that nice a person.

I can see Tohru's point of view when Kyo spoiler[is "invited" to see Akito but I also know that she really hasn't gotten all of the picture quite yet. So I can see why Kyo understands why she is happy but doesn't tell her his uneasiness over the invitation.

And we discover the "bet" Kyo made with Akito. Damn, do I hate Akito! What a horrible, horrible person! But it was interesting to see Akito's reaction when Kyo tried to say that Tohru was able to love him even in the "monster" form. Very interesting to see Akito cover his ears and scream...And what a heck of a way to admit to yourself that you really love someone else.]

The end of chapter 64 to me illustrates how...sick...Akito is. Saying that spoiler[He will have everyone with him and only with him for the rest of their lives. And it will be a happy and endless banquet.] It will be interesting to see how Akito developed this mindset.

Boy, was Tohru brave when she spoiler[tried to keep Akito from hurting Momiji more. Momiji was very brave too! I think he realized that Akito was out of control and shouldn't see Tohru because Akito might treat her the way he treats the other Zodiac members.]

And Tohru learns that Akito is the Zodiac spoiler[God.] But despite the fact that in a way their Summer Vacation was ruined by Akito, the gang managed to end it on a good note.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of you have to say about this volume.
Veggie-Trunks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
If you haven't seen the anime and manga both, don't read this Razz

spoiler[I LOVE the anime of Fruits Basket. It is definitely on my top 10, and a brilliant piece of work. It was the 2nd series I saw after Dragon Ball Z and really showed me how truly wonderful anime can be.

But I cannot tell you how much I hate the manga. I totally thought she was going to be with Yuki because of the anime, which definitely points towards him! But I heard that they were both being made at the same time so the directors of the anime didn't know the outcome. The manga just went absolutely wild!

That would explain a lot of things, like why Akito is DEFINITELY a man in the anime meaning Shigure did not sleep with him and a bunch of other stuff is different.

I love Kyo, but I just don't see him wanting to have sex with Tohru. Ever. From what I got from the anime, she simply was the first person outside of the family to ever accept him for who he really was. And just because she always felt sorry for the cat and loved cats did not mean she wants to sleep with Kyo because he ended up being the cat!

If anything, that further proves my point of her just accepting him because she felt sorry for the cat. And that crap about Yuki seeing her as a mother? I'm sorry, but I would not confess my love to someone I thought of as a mother.]

I get pissed everytime I think about it. -.- lol!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
A lot of things did reveal themselves through this volume of the series. This volume does give us an indication though of how there is a sort of connection building between Kyo and Tohru, because spoiler[they spend quite a bit of more time with each other than Tohru does with the rest of the Zodiac members. ]

What Kyo spoiler[fears most about himself is what he discovers when he is talking to Akito. I couldn't understand it at first of whether it truly was love that he felt for her, but suredly enough it was true. And then for Akito to catch onto that and force him to say that he didn't love her was utterly disgusting. But Yuki reassures the reader that that is not the case when Akito is boasting to Yuki that Kyo hates Tohru.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

What Kyo spoiler[fears most about himself is what he discovers when he is talking to Akito. I couldn't understand it at first of whether it truly was love that he felt for her, but suredly enough it was true. And then for Akito to catch onto that and force him to say that he didn't love her was utterly disgusting. But Yuki reassures the reader that that is not the case when Akito is boasting to Yuki that Kyo hates Tohru.]

Yeah, Kyo isn't stupid. He's seen what Akito can do - spoiler[Kisa, Rin, Yuki...] and he know that the only way he can protect spoiler[Tohru from Akito is to lie to Akito and, in a way, to himself.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Yeah, Kyo isn't stupid. He's seen what Akito can do - spoiler[Kisa, Rin, Yuki...] and he know that the only way he can protect spoiler[Tohru from Akito is to lie to Akito and, in a way, to himself.]

Which is why you would get upset when spoiler[you see him having to deal with Akito who seems to love having his own way with the Zodiac.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Once again Friday has arrived...one day left until I start vaction! Very Happy ...and it is time for Volume #12!

Well, the gang is back from the Summer House and back in school. Kyo and Arisa are their normal bickering selves but Hana points out spoiler[that Arisa has the "back of a woman in love." Not that you can really prove it by Arisa comments on the next page.] Shocked

We get to meet two new members of Yuki's pain in the butt The Student Council: Kimi Toudou (who seems to always speak in the 3rd person) and Naohito Sakuragi (Yuki's chief rival for an unwanted love). And of course there is Yuki's delightful new nickname spoiler[Yun-Yun!] Laughing Laughing Laughing

But, to turn things to darker thoughts, Tohru goes to Kazuma to spoiler[confirm what Akito told her about Kyo's upcoming confinement and the rest of the Zodiac living with Akito for the rest of their lives. Which he confirms but also gives Tohru hope and strength that she can break the curse.]

Also Kyo wants tell Kagura spoiler[how he really feels about Tohru. It's obvious that Kagura knows what he is going to say but forces him to take her out on a "date" so that she can hold onto her dream for just a while longer. We learn why she fell "in love" with Kyo and her reasons for wanting to be with him. Poor Kagura. But, what strength she has to be able to confess to Kyo what and why. And what strength Kyo has to say "looking down on me, using me, it doesn't matter. There's nothing for you to apoligize for." And then to thank her for loving him! WOW! Kyo really is growing up! And he doesn't actually tell her about his feelings for Tohru!]

And Yuki figured out why Rin spoiler[ would suddenly stand and say that she was leaving when she and Haru visited Yuki when Akito had him confined. Naturally, Rin turned bitchy about that realization and retaliated by telling Yuki how he was able to live with Shigure - because Haru begged Shigure to take Yuki in.]

And we learn that the torture of Parent/Student conferences are coming up! Laughing The opportunities that this will provide for certain Sohmas! Which Shigure does - just to get a disgusted look from Mayu! The "banter" between Mayu and Shigure is just hilarious. And Tohru's reaction is just priceless as well. She knows that something is wrong (Ice Crystals!) but since she doesn't know their past, she has no clue as to why.

And the volume ends on an Intersting Note! spoiler[Hana likes Kazuma!] Shocked
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
Shigure spoiler[only went as Tohru's guardian for the pleasure of seeing the look on Mayu's face, that was definetly for sure Laughing It was also great seeing as how the conversation was going practically without Tohru, and if she did get in there then Shigure would have something to say about it.]

We do see that spoiler[Kyo has matured more so in a way, because of the flashbacks we see from Kagura's point of view. The fact of the matter is, he can't bring himself to love her, he never did. Kagura realized that but like was mentioned she just had to have that time to herself before letting the reality of it kick in. It was brave of her to admit that she was using him, though to him it didn't really seem that way. In the end Kagura found that she truly does love Kyo, and he will always have her heart.]
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Hi all,

Sorry to have been a stranger for so long. Too many projects at work and at home.

I really love the scene between Kyo and Kagura in this volume. I think spoiler[it shows tremendous growth in both of them. For Kyo, he doesn't lose his cool and snap at Kagura, like he would in the earlier volumes. And on Kagura's part, she sees the changes in Kyo and knows it's the result of Tohru. I think Kagura matures when she realizes she can't bully Kyo into loving her.]

After that scene though, it seems that spoiler[Kagura grows colder towards Tohru. It seems to me Kagura is angry that Tohru got the results from Kyo she couldn't. But, maybe that's just me.]

Anyhow, I hope to be around a little more frequently now. I'll add more as I think of it.

-Murph
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Once again Friday has arrived...one day left until I start vaction! Very Happy ...and it is time for Volume #12!

Hi, I hope you don't mind me joining in the FB discussion. I just read the manga for the first time and I love it to pieces and had to read up to this volume to have something to say.

LydiaDianne wrote:
And of course there is Yuki's delightful new nickname spoiler[Yun-Yun!] Laughing Laughing Laughing

spoiler[Manabe] is an idiot. If I had to put up with him, I would strangle him every time. But he's a fun character, nevertheless. Very Happy

LydiaDianne wrote:
Also Kyo wants tell Kagura spoiler[how he really feels about Tohru. It's obvious that Kagura knows what he is going to say but forces him to take her out on a "date" so that she can hold onto her dream for just a while longer. We learn why she fell "in love" with Kyo and her reasons for wanting to be with him. Poor Kagura. But, what strength she has to be able to confess to Kyo what and why. And what strength Kyo has to say "looking down on me, using me, it doesn't matter. There's nothing for you to apoligize for." And then to thank her for loving him! WOW! Kyo really is growing up! And he doesn't actually tell her about his feelings for Tohru!]

I really love this chapter, but I have a different take on it. spoiler[I was really surprised why Kagura "loved" Kyo. You already had a hint that she didn't have feelings for her because of Rin earlier saying so, but still the actual reason why, Whoa, I didn't have a clue.

But anyway, IMO, it's really, really cruel to tell someone you used them. You appeased your guilt for doing so, but you terribly hurt the person for now making them aware of this fact. This is why the old saying, If you can't say anything nice about a person, then don't say it at all, is so meaningful.

But Kyo showed tremendous inner strength to not let that knowledge hurt him. It helps of course that he never had feelings for Kagura in all that time, but still, to finally find out that someone was pretending to like you to make herself feel superior to you is really, really hurtful. And Kyo did need Kagura's friendship so desperately and did value it until she abandoned him when she saw his true form. Of course, it backfired for Kagura because in pretending to love Kyo, she actually did fall in love with him.]

LydiaDianne wrote:
And the volume ends on an Intersting Note! spoiler[Hana likes Kazuma!] Shocked

That was fun, especially spoiler[when at the very end the gang was talking about it as they were having that somen eating party and Kyo not liking at all Hana as possibly his stepmother. Very Happy ]

I so loved FB after borrowing Vol 1 from the library that I borrowed the remaining 16 volumes! I have read up to vol 17 and am buying them 3 books at a time every time I go to the bookstore. I am anxiously awaiting buying the new one that comes out in November.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 93 of 170