• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dallas Reid, Justin Pate Star in Funimation's Cheer Boys! English Broadcast Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Hrmm, I don't recognize any of them except for Clifford (Bakugo/My Hero Academia and Mahiru/Servamp). That might be a good thing. I'm hoping we get a trailer showcasing the dub soon.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Just got done finishing the first episode of the dub, and besides some lines in the script (one of Wataru's lines is "totes") it's pretty great.

Lot's of new faces in the dub, which is always welcome. Aaron Dismuke seems to be the go-to guy for directing new-ish VAs (he did Shomin Sample last year). Also, I'm glad Dallas Reid finally gets a leading role that's not a harem show!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
slightly disappointed. I was hoping Tatum would be cast as Mizoguchi. Would have been perfect for the role. Jarrod Greene is a good choice as well though
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
This is a fairly unimpressive looking cast in itself. I'm familiar with the whole cast including the rookie voice actors. This is simply another standard run of the mill Dallas dub. We've been getting an overload of run of the mill casting/broadcast dubs of late. I'm still hoping a worthwhile show with a truly unique cast with solid voice direction comes around eventually for one of these broadcast dubs.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Just got done finishing the first episode of the dub, and besides some lines in the script (one of Wataru's lines is "totes") it's pretty great.

I liked that, actually. It's clearly emphasizing his complete social awkwardness.

I'm curious how liberal the scriptwriters will be with the team's cheers, given all the Engrish they got to match to flaps.
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
This is a fairly unimpressive looking cast in itself. I'm familiar with the whole cast including the rookie voice actors. This is simply another standard run of the mill Dallas dub. We've been getting an overload of run of the mill casting/broadcast dubs of late. I'm still hoping a worthwhile show with a truly unique cast with solid voice direction comes around eventually for one of these broadcast dubs.

It's Cheer Boys. Not every show can have, and certainly not every show even warrants, a "truly unique cast with solid voice direction," whatever that means.
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:

Have you even heard all of them voice the characters yet?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why Funimation are the only company bothering to jump on the fujoshi sport bandwagon? If you ask me, Sentai deciding to release Haikyuu in barebones sub only sets was a big misfire. Kind of a shame Funimation have only managed to pick up the less popular shows in that genre.

So they're allowed to announce the director of Love Live Sunshine... but not the actors? And this is in spite of the fact that this information is readily available online for anyone who wants to know? That's odd. I was thinking Funi were just apathetic about the series but now I'm starting to realise there might be something else going on behind the scenes.
JRPictures

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
So they're allowed to announce the director of Love Live Sunshine... but not the actors? And this is in spite of the fact that this information is readily available online for anyone who wants to know? That's odd. I was thinking Funi were just apathetic about the series but now I'm starting to realise there might be something else going on behind the scenes.

Definitely something going on behind the scenes. Godswill Ugwa (one of Funimation's social media folks who generally posts on Funi's blog) noted on Twitter how he can't officially post the Love Live Sunshine Dub Cast due to 'Japanese rules'

And apparently they just aren't allowed to confirm the cast officially and can't give a reason why either.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I replied to you on the other thread about this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1