• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Go Developer Removes Legendaries Out of Fairness

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:18 am Reply with quote
Considering the team leaders have emblems resembling Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres, I figured these three would be reserved for them. No idea what they intend to do with Mewtwo or Mew though.

Restriction of Legendary Pokémon may become more problematic as the generations go on though, as each successive generation has had a greater proportion of Legendaries. For better or worse, they're also very popular.

In the main series video games though, there are a lot of Legendary Pokemon considered fair game for battling against normal Pokémon though. The Frontier Brains, most notably, each carry at least one Legendary Pokémon on their second teams (except for the Battle Factory Brains). Trio Pokémon (like Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres; Entei, Raikou, and Suicune, etc.) have base stat totals of 580 (compare with the likes of Dragonite, Tyranitar, Metagross, Salamence, and so forth, who have totals of 600) and are always considered tournament-legal, both official and unofficial.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:29 am Reply with quote
All of these people obviously hacked the game because Niantic confirmed that there will only be legendary events and nothing else was confirmed.

Good job Niantic. Now if they Ban all hackers the game will become better I stopped playing a week ago because the gyms in my area have Pokémon of insane cp and I don't see anyone of the people I know having such high levels so I can only assume someone's doing that from a computer at home which is Bullshit
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah there's some gyms in the area with Pokemon they couldn't have possibly gotten legitimately. CP 4000 Dragonite? Please tell me where you got those 40+ extremely rare dratinis please.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
Dratini is rare? I've only played the game a bit, but I've caught a few Dratini. I didn't think they were rare at all since they were the first form of a triple evolution. Though I think location has a lot to with it as well.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
I knew right from the start that Articuno's unexpected appearance in Pokémon GO was too good to be true...

Perhaps one day Niantic will hold special events allowing players a chance to capture Legendary Pokémon...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Dratini is rare? I've only played the game a bit, but I've caught a few Dratini. I didn't think they were rare at all since they were the first form of a triple evolution. Though I think location has a lot to with it as well.

Agree with this, I've only caught a couple, but I've seen dratini on my radar nearly every day while coming or going from the office, so people with more time on their hands likely could have caught them. On a related note, when I visited friends in a city an hour away, we saw a TON of Growlithes, prior to that (and outside of that city) I've only seen 1.

I'm still looking for a "nest" of squirtles or any of the starter Pokemon really. I see Bulbasaurs sometimes, but almost none of the rest.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
People didn't necessarily hack to get the legendaries. People had previously reported a bug where you'd catch a pokemon, but right after the pokemon you just caught would transform into something completely different. Seen videos of people catching one thing only for the screen after the pokeball capture to show it as a pidgey.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I knew right from the start that Articuno's unexpected appearance in Pokémon GO was too good to be true...

Perhaps one day Niantic will hold special events allowing players a chance to capture Legendary Pokémon...

Most likely. Kinda like how event Pokemon work. Free distributions for certain periods, or go to some local store chain to catch it for a limited amount of time. Stuff like that.
Yume-Onata

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I understand that Niantic is a small company, but the way they've been handling this game has been a mess. I really wanted to like it, and I understand games don't work out all their kinks overnight, but the company's lack of communication with its user base has just been poor.

Hopefully a move like this is a step in the right direction.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Yeah there's some gyms in the area with Pokemon they couldn't have possibly gotten legitimately. CP 4000 Dragonite? Please tell me where you got those 40+ extremely rare dratinis please.

Some Pokemon have reliable spawn points (or used to?), called "nests". Some people live by or found those nests, other people may have gotten lucky in hatching good Dragonites.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
Yume-Onata wrote:
I understand that Niantic is a small company, but the way they've been handling this game has been a mess. I really wanted to like it, and I understand games don't work out all their kinks overnight, but the company's lack of communication with its user base has just been poor.

Hopefully a move like this is a step in the right direction.

Well, I mean, you said it: they're a small company, and they can either work to make sure the game runs smoothly, or offer platitudes to their players.

The latter isn't going to make the game run smoothly, and gamers have a nasty habit of throwing your words back at you because you scratched your nose funny. (This is why most anime studios are so close-gated: it's just not worth it).
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:

My friend too saw a gym with Dragonite of over 3000. There's a place not too far that spawn Dratinis all the time though. I can understand if some people just don't have lives but it completely ruins the game for others if you use a bot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1