• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: X Japan Documentary Opens in U.S. in October

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shouryu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I was not a fan of X Japan and have zero idea what they are besides being a metal band before walking into this documentary. I came out of it wanting to know more about them because it succeeded in making Yoshiki a fascinating figure. It makes me think about the state of rock music, what's like to struggle with death, uncertainty and the trials and tribulations people went through. It is a very good introductory documentary for those who have zero idea on X Japan, it offers cursory glance on their major milestones and events. Enough to pique your interest but not in-depth to be served as a biography.

It's structure around the theme of deaths felt befitting of the history of X Japan. It started off with one, ended with another, and continue again before they had another. This story like structure flows naturally and befits the mythical and mystqiue like nature of X Japan and what I feel like the essence and why people like the band. Yoshiki is basically portrayed as a 50 hears old super hero! It's live action anime in other words. Of course it's all embellish and played out but it's solemn, serious and flashy enough for you buy to into the fantasy.

Critics are critical on how it's too fictionalize and doesn't go in-depth in giving us the human sides but it's the exact anime like portrayal in the narrative that makes me like it as much as I did. That portrayal however, make them feel like it plays up the whole marketing angle considering this film coincides with their latest album. I watched it in some indie film festival sponsored by local art school in a country where X Japan CDs are not readily available so I don't get feel the marketing angle.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Its hide, not Hide who used to be in the band before passing away.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I want to see this! Maybe if it comes to the Drafthouse near me. The influence of X Japan and Yoshiki especially was amazing. They were the beginnings of visual kei. Yoshiki produced Dir en grey and GLAY, for awhile, two of the biggest bands to come out of the late 90's. Pretty much every Japanese band from that time period was influenced by them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Yoshiki still gets emotional watching this film. So try to avoid being snarky at the Q&A.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:57 am Reply with quote
Oh, and he'll also be in New York on Monday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1