• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's RIN-NE Manga Gets 3rd Anime Season in Spring 2017

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dayblack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
Where are those who said Brain's Base not more than one season?
Korogoro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
Why? I've never heard of anyone liking this anime/manga. I'm not saying it's bad (only boring maybe) but as far as I know, Rinne is not as popular as Inuyasha or Ranma so why would it get a THIRD season? Confused
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:42 am Reply with quote
Takahashi knows some pretty generous people. to get three seasons out of a series where the disc sales are horrible is nothing beyond amazing.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
Korogoro wrote:
Why? I've never heard of anyone liking this anime/manga. I'm not saying it's bad (only boring maybe) but as far as I know, Rinne is not as popular as Inuyasha or Ranma so why would it get a THIRD season? Confused

Your circle isn't the entire world. It's does fairly well streaming and on viewership apparently. Everyone I know that's seen it in my circle, likes it.

I'm super happy
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
Hooray for more dull and boring mediocrity. Inuyasha is a roller-coaster compared to this, at least it's got Sesshomaru, Sango, and Miroku's lecherous deeds. This series doesn't even have that one character that could make this series bearable and the comedy just makes me want to sleep. Zzz
Hugh Mungus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Korogoro wrote:

Your circle isn't the entire world. It's does fairly well streaming and on viewership apparently. Everyone I know that's seen it in my circle, likes it.

I'm super happy

It did make the Top 10 at least once sometime in the last month. Sure, a 3.0, but still a Top 10.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote
While I'm those who like the show, too, I do wonder: if the show is popular enough to warrant a 3rd season (and probably with another 25 episodes), why not go long-running at this point?
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:58 am Reply with quote
Excellent news.
This show may not be an otaku darling, but it was recently in the top ten animated shows on Japanese TV (source) so they're clearly doing something right.

I'm looking forward to it!
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:43 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Takahashi knows some pretty generous people. to get three seasons out of a series where the disc sales are horrible is nothing beyond amazing.

It gets good ratings, enough to even break the top ten once, so I assume it's usually in the top twenty. That alone would keep it pretty regularly renewed.

It airs in the afternoon on a non-cable network and is considered a family anime. Disc scales are not what is relevant to it (some family anime don't even get disc releases). It's not an otaku show. There are a lot of anime like this, and people seem to get this generally, but Rinne is confusing to people for some... odd reason.

As long as people are watching Rinne in Japan, which they are, it will be renewed.

If this were just Takahashi knowing some pretty generous people, maybe she could get us a proper One Pound Gospel anime. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
valoon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
OMG YES! I ALWAYS LOVE MORE FROM THIS!
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:

Rin-ne isn't a late night anime. It's an afternoon anime (5:30pm) so disc sales are a bonus not the thing that makes the money.

Rin-ne's ratings are also just out of the top ten most weeks animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-08/japan-animation-tv-ranking-august-29-september-4/.106258
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile Spice and Wolf gets no third final season. Surprise that this series made it this far, usually when disc sales aren't great but still gets more seasons is because the manga sales increase enough for it to justify it, but in this case the manga sales aren't that great either, kinda bad actually for a manga that's gotten an anime adaptation going on for multiple seasons.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-04-28/japanese-comic-ranking-april-18-24/.101524

Still it's good news for the fans of the show getting more of it.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Hooray for more dull and boring mediocrity. Inuyasha is a roller-coaster compared to this, at least it's got Sesshomaru, Sango, and Miroku's lecherous deeds. This series doesn't even have that one character that could make this series bearable and the comedy just makes me want to sleep. Zzz

I don't know if you noted but Takahashi wrote for this series more quiet and less understanding characters. It takes a lot for Rinne and Sakura to know they are interested in one another. In another scene where Rinne and his "friend" Tsubasa are controlled by someone else to hug each other, it takes like a minute to Sakura to say ".....hot." Apparently this style grabbed people's attention.
Nayrael

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Meanwhile Spice and Wolf gets no third final season. Surprise that this series made it this far, usually when disc sales aren't great but still gets more seasons is because the manga sales increase enough for it to justify it, but in this case the manga sales aren't that great either, kinda bad actually for a manga that's gotten an anime adaptation going on for multiple seasons.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-04-28/japanese-comic-ranking-april-18-24/.101524

Still it's good news for the fans of the show getting more of it.

One thing that people tend to forget is that most adaptations are ads for the source material. LN publishers especially like to order one to two seasons to show that an LN exists and then intentionally don't order any more so that they make (or force if you will) the fans buy the Light Novels. Manga publishers are less stingy as people are more open to reading Manga than novels so they don't waste as man potential readers.

In other words, the publisher of Spice and Wolf clearly doesn't see it in their interest to order another season. Maybe after a few more years they will, to make the younger generations but the Light Novels, but not while the franchise is still relatively well known.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
Very happy about this. I hope it's a 2-cours season like the first two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3