• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yo-Kai Watch: The Movie

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
The dub for Yo-kai Watch really deserves credit where it's due. It's quite entertaining.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
I don't really understand who this release is aimed at. It's a very limited release which suggusts otaku older fans, but it sounds like it's just as censored and altered as the TV series so it's clearly aimed at kids since that kind of dub turns off most of the regular fans, but are kids really going to be focused enough to do a 1 day only release? It seems so bizarre.

-Stuart Smith
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
The dub for Yo-kai Watch really deserves credit where it's due. It's quite entertaining.
It's a VERY good dub, especially when you consider the white-washing.

I can't play the Yo-Kai Watch games, they bore me but I like watching Let's Plays and find the anime very entertaining. I have no desire to watch this in theaters but if it's up on Netfilix, I'll give it a watch.

Solid review.
Dlancy1096

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I don't really understand who this release is aimed at. It's a very limited release which suggusts otaku older fans, but it sounds like it's just as censored and altered as the TV series so it's clearly aimed at kids since that kind of dub turns off most of the regular fans, but are kids really going to be focused enough to do a 1 day only release? It seems so bizarre.

-Stuart Smith

The dub is actually not that censored at all. It actually leaves in a lot more content than say Pokemon or Digimon.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:57 am Reply with quote
Dlancy1096 wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

The dub is actually not that censored at all. It actually leaves in a lot more content than say Pokemon or Digimon.

true, but its still "americanized" at its core. even to changing the original names to the original OP and ED songs.

Quote:
It's no Cowboy Bebop, but it's also nowhere near as bad as an early 90s 4Kids dub either

while its definitely no 4kids dub, that's for sure, but this dub unfortunately is a mess if not mediocre at worst. at least hamtora's dub was entertaining. the same with tenkai knights. but this dub is probably the same as with doreamon. good enough for kids , but for the rest of the anime community will be sticking to the fansubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:11 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

It's not really altered outside of name changes. The name changes are the most irksome thing. This isn't a Saban/4kids dub.
Dlancy1096

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:50 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Dlancy1096 wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

true, but its still "americanized" at its core. even to changing the original names to the original OP and ED songs.

Quote:
It's no Cowboy Bebop, but it's also nowhere near as bad as an early 90s 4Kids dub either

while its definitely no 4kids dub, that's for sure, but this dub unfortunately is a mess if not mediocre at worst. at least hamtora's dub was entertaining. the same with tenkai knights. but this dub is probably the same as with doreamon. good enough for kids , but for the rest of the anime community will be sticking to the fansubs.

Well kids dubs kind of have to be americanized. There's not really a proper time or place in the show for kids to learn about Japanese culture. And if you were an average American kid would you rather sit through a Japanese lesson just to learn the context of the show or would you want to understand it immediately?

The dub is actually trying to keep a consistent tone with the Japanese version. They hit both the comedic and dramatic parts accurately. No kids dub can keep everything exactly the same. And pretty much most of the songs have been translated. How many kids dubs do that?
Dlancy1096

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

It's not really altered outside of name changes. The name changes are the most irksome thing. This isn't a Saban/4kids dub.

Well most of the names are puns so they pretty much needed to be changed. Kid's dubs can't really escape that. Pokemon and Mario changed a lot of the names but no one really complains about that.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
Dlancy1096 wrote:

I've only seen the first few episodes, but there were 2-3 minutes of cut content per episode, and tons of paint edits like sexy magazines/posters/tv shows being replaced and all alcohol and certain bodily fluids removed, along side the dialog to match them. Any sexual or violent situations in general were cut and altered as well. Maybe the edits are clean enough the casual viewer might not notice, but anyone who's seen the original can definately tell.

-Stuart Smith
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Dlancy1096 wrote:

I've only seen the first few episodes, but there were 2-3 minutes of cut content per episode, and tons of paint edits like sexy magazines/posters/tv shows being replaced and all alcohol and certain bodily fluids removed, along side the dialog to match them. Any sexual or violent situations in general were cut and altered as well. Maybe the edits are clean enough the casual viewer might not notice, but anyone who's seen the original can definately tell.

-Stuart Smith

Which is nothing compared to dubs of 20-30 years ago. Saigo's music is fully intact. That would NEVER happen in a kid's dub in 1990. Never. Episodes cut out, inconsistent music and dialogue, heavy edits. It's not heavily edited. You're just going overboard.

Last edited by NearEasternerJ1 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Dlancy1096

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Dlancy1096 wrote:

-Stuart Smith

Well sexual content generally isn't allowed on children's networks. But they actually kept a lot of the violence, innuendo and potty jokes despite the edits. The edits hardly affect the show at all.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
From what I've researched, a lot of the yokai's names are pretty good matches in English. Remember their names are complete puns in Japanese, so the English equivalents are close to or close enough approximations (some of them are even a direct translation of the original names). I doubt the average anime viewer would know what to make of those names if they heard them in Japanese.

Besides, I don't know how anyone can think this scene is even remotely funny in Japanese: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNMwqFs1lKU

It is much more amusing in English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzt_0K7izcY

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
PannenkoekenNL

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

I'm sure it is going to air on Disney X D and coming to DVD, this release is just fanservice for the older fans.
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Dlancy1096 wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Dlancy1096 wrote:

-Stuart Smith

Well sexual content generally isn't allowed on children's networks. But they actually kept a lot of the violence, innuendo and potty jokes despite the edits. The edits hardly affect the show at all.

Speaking of potty jokes, I wonder how many parents just put the TV series as a parental block on their cable box based on the Poofessor short after the film.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I couldn't attend the Yo-kai Watch: The Movie screening today because the nearest theater that screened it was too far away from where I live. I'll definitely check out the movie once it's available on DVD or airs on Disney X-D. Smile

NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Which is nothing compared to dubs of 20-30 years ago. Sango's music is fully intact. That would NEVER happen in a kid's dub in 1990. Never. Episodes cut out, inconsistent music and dialogue, heavy edits. It's not heavily edited. You're just going overboard.

You're exactly right that Kenichiro Saigo's background music is fully intact in the dub! The dub of Doraemon and Hamtaro replaced all the background music. I'm not sure why Hamtaro replaced it, but it was in Doraemon in order to have background music that would better fit the dub's exclusive action-oriented feel, as wells as the localization team's concern that the lighthearted, slow-paced background music of the Japanese version would seem eccentric to American audiences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2