• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo to End Production of Current Wii U Sets in Japan Soon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Not surprising. You know, unlike the f***ing election.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
"The Nintendo Switch will not replace the Wii U."

It's that rock solid "third pillar" business model working it's magic again. Never change, Nintendo.

EDIT: @Gemnist: Not the place for that, buddy.

Last edited by Jayhosh on Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
"The Nintendo Switch will not replace the Wii U."

It's that rock solid "third pillar" business model working it's magic again. Never change, Nintendo.
No one should be believing Nintendo when it comes to that. The Switch is the replacement for both the Wii U and 3DS. They only call it a third pillar initially so that it doesn't hurt sales quite as bad.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
I can't say I'm at all surprised. By all accounts, the Wii U under performed, so I'm sure Nintendo would gain more from moving on.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
No one should be believing Nintendo when it comes to that. The Switch is the replacement for both the Wii U and 3DS. They only call it a third pillar initially so that it doesn't hurt sales quite as bad.

The 3DS isn't going anywhere despite the NS's debut, at least for a long while.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Good thing that my husband and I are seriously debating about buying a Wii U this year for Christmas, especially since it's extremely likely we can as well. Unless we find a deal on an Xbox One for him that he just can't resist.
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Nyren wrote:

The 3DS isn't going anywhere despite the NS's debut, at least for a long while.
The 3DS might not be getting discontinued, doesn't mean it isn't being replaced by the Switch. The Wii U is being discontinued because it's a failure and doesn't make sense to continue producing it now that it's successor is on the horizon. The 3DS is still making money and they likely still have a few 3DS games in the pipeline. Need to keep the cash flowing. But make no mistake, developers will cross from the 3DS to the Switch and it will be discontinued in the near future. I wager 2018 or 2019 at the latest. I've seen people adamantly claim the 3DS will get its own successor, but that makes zero sense because the Switch is both a console and a handheld, it was created by merging their two departments together, it is the successor to both and I imagine it won't split again going forward.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to Switch.

C'mon guys... Switch is the model aimed at replacing both Nintendo's console & handheld areas with one fixed system. The third-pillar PR will go the way of the Gameboy. Unless Switch fails forcing Nintendo to go back to the old brand.

This was the only road they could've taken, though I'm still surprised it's a hybrid and figured they'd just make two SKUs with different specs that share the same game cartridge.

But perhaps by having one target hardware might make development easier alongside manufacturing and not have to worry about convincing retailers to carry more Nintendo hardware in store as the danger might've been that outside of launch, retailers might drop the console in favor of the handheld sku and Nintendo would be stuck with inventory like the WiiU. So considering their handheld business is still relatively popular, they might as well go with a hybrid and make the portability the focus.

Gemnist wrote:
Not surprising. You know, unlike the f***ing election.

The election outcome wasn't surprising at all.

Unless you still believe everything the mainstream media and its rigged polls and manufactured outrage and Wikileaks-proven Clinton-shilling have been telling you within their bubble echo-chamber universe; and haven't heard of this thing called the internet and alternative media.

You'd think people would've learnt that lesson since the Iraq War (which is still a warzone by the way). Razz

Time to cut the cord on mainstream news channels folks. The net is vast and infinite. Don't allow those same dopes to control it.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Nyren"][quote="Mr. Oshawott"][quote="Nyren"]No one should be believing Nintendo when it comes to that. The Switch is the replacement for both the Wii U and [b]3DS[/b]. They only call it a third pillar initially so that it doesn't hurt sales quite as bad.[/quote]
[url=http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a812608/nintendo-bosses-say-3ds-is-going-nowhere/]The 3DS isn't going anywhere despite the NS's debut[/url], at least for a long while.[/quote] The 3DS might not be getting discontinued, doesn't mean it isn't being replaced by the Switch. The Wii U is being discontinued because it's a failure and doesn't make sense to continue producing it now that it's successor is on the horizon. The 3DS is still making money and they likely still have a few 3DS games in the pipeline. Need to keep the cash flowing. But make no mistake, developers will cross from the 3DS to the Switch and it will be discontinued in the near future. I wager 2018 or 2019 at the latest. I've seen people adamantly claim the 3DS will get its own successor, but that makes zero sense because the Switch is both a console and a handheld, it was created by merging their two departments together, it is the successor to both and I imagine it won't split again going forward.[/quote]

We don't know enough about the Switch's potential as a handheld, though. If it has a short battery life it'd be hard to sell it as a true replacement for the 3DS.
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:

We don't know enough about the Switch's potential as a handheld, though. If it has a short battery life it'd be hard to sell it as a true replacement for the 3DS.
Considering the vastly more powerful hardware in the Switch(Compared toe the 3DS mind you.), it's understandable if the battery life is, say, 3 hours. Now, that does mean 3 hours is good? No. But I can believe the rumor that it's 3 hours. That being said, I'm sure there will be an accessory that will improve the battery life, making it more feasible to take on the go for longer stretches of time. Though, with the USB-C port for charging, I imagine the charge time will be shorter than before.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, we've(the people who follow sales) known this for months since the Wii U's been selling like...due to.... Yeah.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Awwww. What a shame. A lot of the games it has on the Virtual Console are really good, like Earthbound, Harvest Moon SNES, Pokemon Stadium, etc. If production is discontinued, will people still be able to buy games on the VC with it?
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Out with the old, in with the new.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Awwww. What a shame. A lot of the games it has on the Virtual Console are really good, like Earthbound, Harvest Moon SNES, Pokemon Stadium, etc. If production is discontinued, will people still be able to buy games on the VC with it?

It sounds like certain games are going to be ported. So expect Switch versions of select WiiU titles.

I expect Nintendo will have fixed it's online system to a singular account that can be carried over to other systems and not locked to hardware and that VC titles will be available for it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
I expect Nintendo will have fixed it's online system to a singular account that can be carried over to other systems and not locked to hardware and that VC titles will be available for it.

I'm hoping that will really be the case--it gets financially draining having to rebuy the same titles over and over every time one has to buy a new console or handheld.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2