• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Girl Raising Project Anime Director: 'Sequel Hasn't Been Decided'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
I don't know if the novels have had a significant boost, but the anime is selling really poorly disk-wise afaik and it doesn't seem to be making ripples in terms of popularity so... unlikely
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
Would love to see another season, really enjoyed it until the end but all thoose sales etc dont look really promising so chances for a sequel are probably quite small...
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:25 am Reply with quote
It'd be nice if it got a sequel, but I can kind of see why it might not. Just based on being able to believe why it might not sell well. Some shows are just best suited to seeing once. Not sure a show with this kind of tone or story has the same rewatch value as others.

Still, hopefully it can get one more season.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
The novels are very good and while sales only got a small boost from the anime, it has been popular enough since 2012 to warrant 10 volumes thus far along with quite a lot of merchandise and such. There's also a concert scheduled for March featuring the anime character songs! Oddly, the first volume that the anime adapted was probably the weakest of all with the series coming into its own only AFTER the part the anime adapted.

The 2nd/3rd volume is a bit of the same sort of concept as the anime with an SAO twist (and a much more memorable cast overall) while the 5th/6th volumes are a bit like Mahou Shoujo meets 24.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:13 am Reply with quote
spoiler[In the end the writing was poor and missed all of the emotional high points opting to instead focus on the killings.]
zeopower6

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
spoiler[In the end the writing was poor and missed all of the emotional high points opting to instead focus on the killings.]

Honestly though, the anime adapted the novel pretty well so there's not much that they could have done with the size of the cast that they did. However, things are handled much better later on in the series due to more experience and more content to digest rather than the pretty condensed book that the anime got its material from.

Looking at sales for this sort of series is really not that good of an indicator since the people that love it REALLY seem to love it and it's sort of a cult favorite I guess without ever really hitting the mainstream as far as the novels go.
Nanaya03

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Would love to see another season, really enjoyed it until the end but all thoose sales etc dont look really promising so chances for a sequel are probably quite small...

The end is fine, people tend to forget this is an ongoing novel series around 10 volumes long thus the ending was more of a beginning. Since Anime only adapted the prologue part.

After the anime, there is Snow White Raising Project, the proper epilogue. It is also the event that set Snow White in her path. After that there is a lot more Restart (2&3), Limited(5&6), Jokers, Aces, Queens as the main stories and three short stories collections. There is also A spin off manga F2P with a civil war scenario and a web novel called Breakdown.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:11 am Reply with quote
I'd love more Magical Girl Raising Project, but I never even held the possibility of it getting a sequel. Just didn't seem like the kind of show that would sell in Japan.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:11 am Reply with quote
"Encourage the fans to read the material" Yeah excpet for the fact that not Every watcher understands Japanese and can access the novels... All we can wait for is a sequel to make the ending make more sense to the next volume.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:15 am Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
The novels are very good and while sales only got a small boost from the anime, it has been popular enough since 2012 to warrant 10 volumes thus far along with quite a lot of merchandise and such. There's also a concert scheduled for March featuring the anime character songs! Oddly, the first volume that the anime adapted was probably the weakest of all with the series coming into its own only AFTER the part the anime adapted.

The 2nd/3rd volume is a bit of the same sort of concept as the anime with an SAO twist (and a much more memorable cast overall) while the 5th/6th volumes are a bit like Mahou Shoujo meets 24.

If the novels are selling good and get a boost in sales, a second season depends how much LN increase the publisher was expecting because BD/DVD sales are pretty much irrelevant in this kind of LN anime.

In really hope for a second season.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
My decades of experience tells me that since the western fans are talking about poor sales numbers and generally poor overall performance are pretty good indicators that the series will likely get a second serial. I suspect there would likely be a announcement in the next year for the next arc.I've seen quite a new series with considerably poorer showings in sales and quality of LN and manga in Japan get multiple series for by far worse reasoning than MGR did in its home market.
Junko666

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote
zeopower6 wrote:
Oddly, the first volume that the anime adapted was probably the weakest of all with the series coming into its own only AFTER the part the anime adapted.

Yeah have to agree with you here. Unmarked is generally considered to be the weakest arc by quite a margin. I'd be so happy if this gets a sequel, since Restart is when the story really begins. What the anime adapted is really nothing more than a prologue to a much bigger story.

Problem I have is that there are bound to be people claiming Restart is a "SAO ripoff".

@HueyLion: You clearly haven't heard that Yen Press have licensed this series , so in the not so distant future, it will be possible to read the LNs.
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
Isn't Crunchyroll involved with this? Their name shows up in the credits so I'm really hoping for a second season.
Swartzdemon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
In my mind I felt the security of a sequel based on the merchandise line already having a "Restart" plush. This was my first anime that I followed in Japan as it was airing and gave it my all. Preordered all kinds of merchandise and will start receiving it this week. I went all out for this show and purchased goodies from the asian mart just for this specific show and it was literally the event of the week for me. This show was as exciting to me as a football fan getting ready to watch their favorite team play in the Super Bowl and those asian goodies were my tailgate. After watching Monster Musume I thought about cancelling my subscription to Crunchyroll but this show made me keep the service. Given the circumstance of waiting for the next Puella Magi Madoka Magica project to start up I latched onto this immediately and I thought it was a good show overall. I'll buy it when/if it releases in English dub and I'll definitely watch it again sub-only. I'm getting upset just thinking about it because I want something that competes directly with Madoka Magica that has a fulfilling ending but is just as heart trending.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
Well no shocker there. The LN isn't getting some big boost and the disc sales are dead in the water. Any sales data on CDs for the show?

I'm still in the middle of the show, but it hasn't been all that good in my opinion. I dunno if I'd watch a sequel considering I can't even finish the first season.

Jonny Mendes wrote:

BD/DVD sales are pretty much irrelevant in this kind of LN anime.

This simply is not true. While they may not be important to the part of the committee that manages the LN, they are important to the part of the committee that puts funds in for BD/DVD discs. Creators have spoken about how disc sales do play a part in meeting the costs and making profits. The guy who directed Bouiebu is one of the creators who have talked about this.

They are not the end all be all, but they do certainly help with a show getting a sequel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2