• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Flip Flappers Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Very good show. Don't know how much the Japanese loved it, but it is disappointing that I didn't see any merchandise for the show in Akihabara this weekend. Izetta, Drifters, Yuri on Ice all had displays with some merchandise for sale, and even Magical Girl Raising Project had a smattering of stuff, if you looked for it. Nothing for Flip Flappers.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
With all said and done Flip Flappers was one hell of a dark horse and a great way to end the year. I'm definitely buying this when it becomes available.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
I didn't watch it while it was airing, have Sentai said anything about a dub? If so i may just wait until I buy it before watching it.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Its a shame that this great show did so terrible in sales over in Japan. The Japanese show once again that they have shit taste.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Its a shame that this great show did so terrible in sales over in Japan. The Japanese show once again that they have shit taste.
Just because they didn't buy a show you like? If there is a show out there that I like and you don't like, would that mean that you have shit tastes?
Edl01

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
The review reflects my opinions quite well, Flip Flappers was my favorite show in what was an incredibly strong season of anime.

Flip Flappers is so great. Fantastic visual storytelling aside(a rarity for the anime medium) it was just a brilliant show from beginning to end. I went into the show with expectations that it's ambition would eventually lead fantastically failing, but it completely surprised me each and every week by delivering consistently great episode! While the finale certainly doesn't reach the highs of some of the earlier vignettes, overall Flip Flappers is a shining example of the kind of unique creativity that this medium can achieve.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
For me, the Pure Love for animation floated, permeated and oozed from every scene in this series. Of all the anime I watched last year, Flip Flappers and Sound Euphonium were my favs when it came down to just watching wonderfully animated shows. I'm looking forward to the Blu-ray release from Sentai so I can watch it again on my HDTV and I hope they'll come out with a premium edition because I have that addiction. Really hoping!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
It saddens me greatly that this show didn't even break 1000 units sold. A damn shame, it was one of my favorites.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Good review! I really loved the show. I can't wait to add it to my collection when Sentai puts it out on disc.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Solid A for story? As much as I enjoyed this, that was probably the weakest part of the series. It took way too long to surface, and the plot developments were mediocre at best.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Radrappy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Solid A for story? As much as I enjoyed this, that was probably the weakest part of the series. It took way too long surface, and the plot developments were mediocre at best.

Yeah I'd definitely lean more B+ or A- myself. Just like the animation, the show starts to slip story wise immediately after episode 9(which was fantastic). I think though that the solid A is rewarding FliFla not for it's story exactly, but how it was told in its first 3/4. I've never seen a show so confident about 'show don't tell" for 9 straight episodes before. The emotions it bottles for those eps is also very impressive.

The expository episodes are the pits though.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Earlier this week, I decided that it was finally time to put together a Top Ten list for the "Top Ten/Bottom Five" thread, and to my surprise Flip Flappers easily made the cut. I don't think I've seen a show in years that I've enjoyed more. At the same time, it's no surprise to me that it hasn't been selling well in Japan, as it is a textbook example of a show that's "not for everyone".
Yours_Truly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Nice review, but I didn't like it that much. From the start the show felt very Space Dandy-esque, only to find out that the director had actually worked on an episode of it, which was a pleasant surprise! Ultimately though my biggest problem with the show was the characters. I just didn't care for them. Cocona and Papika aren't two characters who carry a show through the kind of artistic story it was trying to tell. Maybe a larger central cast would've helped?
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I liked Flip Flappers, but I really wanted to like this show more than I did. While I enjoyed the first episodes, there was a lingering feeling that something was missing that never really went away. This show just didn't truly click with me, I guess. I still think it's a good show, and I had a lot of fun with it, and it had several standout episodes, but the answers given in the final act were cliche, the visuals degraded, the villain was poorly written and uninspired, and the Evangelion references got a little too distracting and tacked-on. Also, one of my biggest issues is that I don't think Cocona needed to go on those adventures. The foundation the series is built on is Cocona's character progression and dealing with her adolescence. However, I never really got the sense that she was unhappy or unfulfilled in life, so the idea that she was, and thus needed to go on these adventures, rang a bit hollow.

In spite of all these negatives though, I did quite enjoy the first 3/4 of the show, and the actual finale was pretty good. So, I'd give it like a B overall.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I was really shocked when the writer left the series and the subsequent commentary was about "how bad" this wonderful gem of a show was. Between this series and Kaiba having really poor DVD sales (I have one of the 500 copies of Kaiba that was sold), I really do think that my taste and the taste of Japanese fans is pretty different.

I hadn't heard that Sentai had licensed this. Great! I was worried that it might fall by the wayside.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3