• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nadesico Turns 20 with New Ruri Hugging Pillow Cover

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
This daki does her more justice than the movie ever did.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, the thing about the movie is that we never got to see the story that took place after the TV series but before the movie. It was only told through a SEGA saturn game.
slau783

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Since others mentioned the movie, totally would not mind if they actually did one side as young Ruri and the other as the older Ruri from the movie. That way you have a choice every night. Wink
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Well, the thing about the movie is that we never got to see the story that took place after the TV series but before the movie. It was only told through a SEGA saturn game.

*sigh* Still bitter about that, too. That movie was so confusing to me as a budding anime fan with no frame of reference post-TV series. I didn't even find out about the game's existence until yeeeeaaars later. I just assumed I was missing a volume or OVA or something at the time.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
My first thought was that it's not Gotoh art. If I read the Hobbystock page right it is Shinichi Yamaoka.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Nadesico is 20 years old?

Damn, I'm old. Sad

For the record, Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Nadesico are my top two favorite animes of the 1990s.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:34 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
This daki does her more justice than the movie ever did.

Out of interest, is it for the best that the Nadesico theatrical film is no longer in print? I say this as someone yet to watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
My computer is named Ruri and to this day i she's my desktop keeper.

Nadesico is sadly underrated, and it's sister show Stellvia even more so.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:19 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Out of interest, is it for the best that the Nadesico theatrical film is no longer in print? I say this as someone yet to watch it.

Depends who you talk to. Personally, I think it's a good movie that you should watch, even if it is a bit jarring going from the TV series to it.

And if you think the Nadesico movie is confusing without playing the games, I first saw it before even seeing the TV series.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:58 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Is there a trasnlation of the game anywhere, i tried looking for English Walkthroughs of the game but to no avail.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
It's really funny because Martian Successor Nadesico--the show--had the pretty blatant thoroughline that the sort of nerd that would obsess over Ruri (or otaku fandom--the show was downright scathing to otaku culture) was kinda a creep.

Like that "Mr Enema" guy that wanted Ruri to be the captain.

Buncha fools Laughing

Snark aside, cool that Nadesico is getting some props. That was the first box set I ever got. The dub has aged surprisingly gracefully.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Is there a trasnlation of the game anywhere, i tried looking for English Walkthroughs of the game but to no avail.

Quick summary (thanks to animesuki forums) Spelling and cleanup by me.

Here's what happened during the 3 year period between the TV series and the movie:

-Peace is declared between the Earth and the Jovians. Both nations exchange populations.

-Yurika and Minato enter into a custaty battle over Ruri. Prospector asked for a contest to decide. Both Yurika and Minato will pull on opposite sides of Ruri's arm, and when Ruri cried out in pain, Minato let her go. Yurika won the contest, and Ruri was adopted by Yurika.

-Minato adopts Yukina.

-Megumi changes her name and hides her past with the Nadesico and became a pop star.

-The mess hall girls became an idol group.

-Hikaru became a doujinshi writer/drawer.

-Akito became a cook and opened his own ramen restaurant.

-During the 3 year period, Nergal's influence diminishes due to a merge between the Earth and Jovian military.

-Akito and Yurika became a couple and the two (including Ruri) lives together, but her father refused to acknowledge their relationship. Akito and Yurika's father agreed to a ramen competition. If Akito can make ramen that he thinks is delicious, then he can marry Yurika. Akito made plain ramen and won.

-Akito and Yurika got married, adopted Ruri. Lived in a 'happy-comfy life'. All three worked at Akito's restraunt.

-During this time, a group called the Martian Successors attempt to control/perfect Boston Jump, and started kidnapping Class-A jumpers, especially the most powerful Class-A jumpers, Yurika and Akito.

-On their flight to their honeymoon, the shuttle carrying Yurika and Akito explodes. While it seems like they were killed, they were in fact kidnapped by the Martian Successors. Ines faked her own death shortly after they realized they were kidnapping Class-A jumpers.

-While the Martian Successors were trying to figure out how to use Yurika to control the box, they performed experiments on Akito, completely destroying his senses.

-Akito was saved by Nergal, whom discovered the location where Akito and Yurika was held captive. However, Yurika couldn't be saved in time. To become stronger and save Yurika, Tsukiomi Genichirou trains Akito to become a better pilot. Akito refuses to join Nergal, so the two come up with a deal. Nergal will provide information about the Martian Successors, and Akito will steal boson jump data from them. Akito agrees, and Nagare gives him Nergal's newest Aestivallis Prototype-Frame: Black Selena. During one of his missions, Akito rescues Lapis, a genetically engineered child whom Nergal tried to recreate to gain the same level as Ruri. Seeing Ruri in Lapis, Akito takes her in as his partner.

-With no where left to go, Ruri lives with Minato. Eventually, she leaves to rejoin the military, and was given command of the Nadesico-B.

-Ruri meets Harry, a genetic child just like her, whom Nergal created in hopes of surpassing her. Finding companionship, they start living together.

-The events from the movie occurs.

-Events from Nadesico: The Mission for the Dreamcast occurs. Taking place after Prince of Darkness, the game concludes the story, as Yurika and Ruri searches for Akito.

/\/\

The above is mostly spot on with some tidbits left out.

I would have to say that I was more disappointed that the series never got a sequel as both the movie and the games that came after prince of darkness both never wrapped up the series.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it's 20 years old!!! Shocked

one of the first titles I borrowed from one of the first college friends....
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Damn! Hard to believe that Nadesico is already 20 years old. Time really does fly fast especially with all of the new Anime series coming out one can really lose track of time. Cool
Kyosuke_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
If there's any series that deserves a reboot, it's this. I remember that they were going to finish the story after the movie with 2 more movies but that was impossible to do for unspecified reasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2