• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ultimate Otaku Teacher

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
I initially liked Ultimate Otaku Teacher, but it definitely ran out of steam after the first ten episodes. The fact that it ran for fourteen more soon after didn't help, either. (Should've just been 12, but apparently this is a rather popular manga over there.)
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
yeah, the elephant in the room here is why is this manga/anime so damn popular, it even made it to the most watched show lists here, along with stuff like assclass and dragon ball.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
If your going to watch UOT, and you really shouldn't waste the time trust me I did, save your ears the pain and just watch it dubbed. The Japanese Actor for the little sister is almost painful to listen to, I rarely am this critical of an actor but dear god her voice is like nails on a chalkboard grating, at least the dub has Mikaela Krantz who at least makes the character listenable. The other dub actors are all fine, nothing to write home about, although Anthony Bowling as the MC is an interesting choice since he usual plays supporting characters, he hams it up as best he can, but frankly this show doesn't deserve his effort.

There is one odd casting choice and that's Colleen Clinkenbeard as the Sweedish Scientist that comes in the latter half of the show, it's just her rich lady voice but with a really bad accent on it.

The show is alright, it's a 4.5/10 at best for me, maybe 5/10 if you listen with the dub. Oh and if you do opt to watch this, be warned it's actually a 24 episode time sink for some reason.

This show would have worked had it tried to be more of a parody of the Teacher Genre with Junichirou just being a quirky bullyish dick but it tries to be genuine and that makes it fall flat. The only redeeming thing about this show is the opening theme which are at least a little bit catchy, but even then, they're not great.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
well, it did nor need to be a parodyof the genre, it "only" neeeded to be good; gokusen drama adaptation changes from barely being part of the genre to following all the staples an it was stilla good show.

now, it as fun rading that magic knight rayearth review, one of the first isekai shows before isekai was evena thing at all, and it was alreayd subverting the genre with all of those midseries revelations.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Ultimate Otaku Teacher was just pure agony for me. The visuals were like an ugly low end show from 2004. The characters were either incredibly generic, incredibly unlikeable or both. The show's sense of humour just felt so dull and sanitised to the point where I don't think I laughed once watching the show. Legend has it that there are actual real people who watched all 24 episodes. And honestly, I have absolutely no idea how they did it.

Funimation made a really bad call dubbing this one. Then again, Funi dubbing crap shows that probably won't even break even has become something of a tradition.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
yeah, the elephant in the room here is why is this manga/anime so damn popular, it even made it to the most watched show lists here, along with stuff like assclass and dragon ball.

It's because of it's timeslot. It has nothing to do with popularity. Even Mars of Destruction would end up in the top most viewed series, if it were placed there.
As far as I recall, Denpa Kyoushi was so bad and so disliked, that it managed to hurt Detective Conan ratings, which isn't an easy feat to achieve.

Last edited by KutovoiAnton on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Funimation made a really bad call dubbing this one. Then again, Funi dubbing crap shows that probably won't even break even has become something of a tradition.

This was done during that first season they went full on with all the Broadcast dubs, so likely what happened, and what continues to happen with them Broadcast dubbing poor shows, is that they negotiate for the broadcast dub rights before the show even airs, so they have no way of knowing what will and won't end up being bad, but they have the rights so they still have to dub it week to week.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

It's because of it's timeslot. It has nothing to do with popularity. Even Mars of Destruction would end up in the most top most viewed series, if it were placed there.
As far as I recall, Denpa Kyoushi was so bad and so disliked, that it managed to hurt Detective Conan ratings, which isn't an easy feat to achieve.

oh boy, what were they smoking to air this during the day.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote
2 weeks in a row without a Shelf Obsessed? Are you people going to make me find a damn camera for my pitiful, little collection, or are you hardcore collectors going to step up and start sending some more pics in? I'm sure some of you who have been featured in the past have bulked up since then. We'd be happy for updated shots.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Despite the fact that Kamiya voices the lead, I couldn't watch more than two episodes of this, mainly because of the idol who voices the lead's sister. Wow, talk about a horrible performance! She was just reading the lines and raising her voice where necessary. No emotion behind it at all. I don't know why they felt the need to cast an idol with no acting experience. The series wasn't very compelling from the beginning, but this one vocal performance (if you can call it that) was the gaping hole in the hull that brought the ship down in my opinion.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Wait, 2wei Herz was dubbed?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:13 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
I don't know why they felt the need to cast an idol with no acting experience. The series wasn't very compelling from the beginning, but this one vocal performance (if you can call it that) was the gaping hole in the hull that brought the ship down in my opinion.

Well, being an idol is acting in the sense you are putting on a personality that isn't what your true "self". Also, the training classes/courses they take for being a musician does have crossover with those for being an actress. That said, because of the high-pitched girly voices in subbed shows, I watch most of my subbed muted.
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
UOT is one of the extremely few series I have ever gotten about halfway through and just....faded away from. I have never finished it despite having it on hand for I don't know how long now, because I just cannot bring myself to continue. If it were a true train wreck I could get into completing it just for that factor, but for me it didn't even manage that. It suffers from the worst critiques I know of for entertainment, it was cheap, cliched, predictable, and worst of all, boring, in both characters and world.

I really wanted to enjoy it too, I'm always up for stories with weird characters, being one myself, but it has to have some humanity to it, some heart, and that, that this lacks in its entirety for me. With no heart, no good storytelling in my view, whatever the genre/medium.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Wait, 2wei Herz was dubbed?

Yes.quite a while actually though mainly for paying / premium anime network members.

also UOT isnt that much of a crapshoot as the reviewer stated. is it perfect? Hell no. of course not. but its pretty decent if you dont take it seriously. unfortunately cause of series like GTO , AC and Gokusen, the standards for genres like these have been bumped to levels that the directors were clearly not pursuing since this series was clearly aimed for the japaneese audience and not outside of that meta which in my opinion is kinda not fair for the schoolteacher /slice of life series like UOT considering that its manga version is very popular over there.

its basically what the fanservice/harem genre suffering now since most of the current series have been pretty much not liked cause western fans are expecting those series be in the same standards as HSDxD & strike witches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
I asked because ANN and a few other sites don't have any English dub names credited for it. I assumed it was going to be released subbed only.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2