• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Lists Castlevania Series for This Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
It's strange this came up when there are no new anounced Castlevania games in sight.

I wonder what's Konami's stance in this? They're still taking a lot of heat after Hideo Kojima's departure, right?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Combine this with the upcoming "Mega Man" cartoon, it begs the question why they're adapting dead gaming franchises.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Combine this with the upcoming "Mega Man" cartoon, it begs the question why they're adapting dead gaming franchises.

Makes perfect (monetary) sense to me, the ip must be cheap and there are a ton of viewers that would love a well made castlevania live action or cartoon and they would no doubt introduce their kids to the megaman with the new cartoon (if they hadn't already via emulation or the nes-mini).
nagpo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Was hoping they'd make a Castlevania anime instead
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
What is an anime ova? A miserable pile of genga. But enough talk...
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I suppose this wouldn't be to the Dracula's Curse animated series that was getting a bit of buzz all those years ago but then quietly disappeared?

mangamuscle wrote:
Makes perfect (monetary) sense to me, the ip must be cheap and there are a ton of viewers that would love a well made castlevania live action or cartoon and they would no doubt introduce their kids to the megaman with the new cartoon (if they hadn't already via emulation or the nes-mini).

More than likely. Dead franchises are generally easier to obtain licenses for. I doubt a Mega Man cartoon would have been possible years ago when Capcom was producing the Rockman.exe and Ryuusei no Rockman anime. But it's been years since tnose series ended and they're not doing much at the franchise. As far as Castlevania is concerned I don't even know if they're making games of that anymore. I stopped paying attention and they were farmed out to western studios and became God of War clones.

Speaking of dead franchises, I wonder if we're still getting that Mighty Number 9 animated series or if they're just going to quietly pretend that wasn't announced.

-Stuart Smith
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Speaking of dead franchises, I wonder if we're still getting that Mighty Number 9 animated series or if they're just going to quietly pretend that wasn't announced.

-Stuart Smith

For a franchise to have to be "Dead," it would imply it was alive at some point. I'm sure Inafune is going to wait for the shame to clear out. It shouldn't take too long since "No Man's Sky" came out not long after MN9 and made people forget all about it.

I'm hoping that maybe these adaptations renew interest in the franchise and motivate Capcom and Konami to make more.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I suppose this wouldn't be to the Dracula's Curse animated series that was getting a bit of buzz all those years ago but then quietly disappeared?

From what I've read elsewhere, this is the same project. It languished in production hell for ages, but I guess the Netflix money was enough to get it greenlit again.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

If you don't, you end up losing the copyrights.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
I've been following Frederator Studios' progress on this series for a couple of years and here are a few things I can discern based on what they've disclosed on their site and through Cartoon Brew:

-The show is not kiddie fare. It is supposed to be as gory, dark and violent as one should expect from Castlevania. The staff want to be as faithful to the games as possible.
-No confirmation as to whether Sypha's gender identity will be kept a secret as in the original NES game. (You had to beat the game with Trevor+Sypha in order to reveal her as a woman)
-Based on the character design sketches, Alucard is expected to appear with short black hair, not long white hair
-Grant DaNasty will appear later in the series and may serve as comic relief. He will appear as a scrawny pirate, NOT as a mummy.
-No eyepatch on Trevor.
-Trevor will be called Trevor Christopher Belmont, NOT Ralph (sorry, purists)
-No confirmation on spirit swapping. The story instead looks to involve Trevor, Sypha, Alucard and Grant working as a team to conquer Dracula.

That being said, I am looking forward to this series. Smile Trevor, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated Belmonts in the clan. Castlevania III was a fantastic game for the NES, (albeit incredibly hard!) and Dracula's Curse is an excellent title to make a series from if only for the team aspect.

EDIT: Preliminary character designs can be found here: LINK
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
I can´t believe that the Warren Ellis film kind of lives again and all of this is good news. Especially if i consider that the game series is kind of dead right now... Urgh. Here is more concept art for the former film and now (multi part!) series: http://castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Dracula's_Curse_Animated_Movie
Edit: Copy and paste the link, posting it here makes it bug out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
Interesting. Looks like Alucard may have his white hair after all. Looks like we all have to wait and see what the official character designs will be. Razz I'm still eager for an actual trailer.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
Wait, Adi Shankar? Wasn't he the guy behind that tryhard gritty Power Rangers fan thing with James VanDerbeek that Saban got all butthurt over?
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:20 am Reply with quote
Adi Shankar
wrote on Facebook that the series is being written by comic book writer Warren Ellis, who's apparently been attached to the project for years. Source: usgamer.net
redranger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
If warren ellis is writing then this cartoon will be garbage. Anyone remenber all those shitty Marvel animes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2