• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Jan 29-Feb 4 [2017-02-09]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Yaaay, go Scum's Wish and Dragon Maid! Keep on climbing Very Happy

Showa Rakugo is the other show giving me major feels this season. Glad to see its reign as king.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I wish Gabriel Dropout was higher (anything that brings us closer to a manga license announcement) but I understand why it isn't.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
Yaaay, go Scum's Wish and Dragon Maid! Keep on climbing Very Happy

Seconded Very Happy

Now the top five of the weekly rankings match my personal top five for the season (not necessarily in the same order). If only the cumulative would too.

Nice to see ACCA and Onihei going up too. Those two are at least modestly underrated in my opinion.

I'm thinking about getting into Yowapeda, but its drop in the rankings is a little concerning. Some seems to be from other shows doing better but not all. I'll still check out the first season after I finish the backlog title I'm currently working on, but its ratings doing similarly to some of the more meh sports titles like Days or All Out is not enthusing, not to say those were without merit from what I've heard.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't judge the first two seasons of Yowapeda based on its performance so far this season. There was a radical shift in characters this season as the seniors left the team, and I think people haven't totally gotten on board with that...yet, hopefully. I'm enjoying it as much as the previous seasons, but obviously others aren't.

Also, Grande Road kinda fell into the shounen trap of dragging out the "fights" over too many episodes. But I'd definitely recommend the first season and even the second season if you enjoy shounen sports melodrama. Very Happy There's a lot of fun to be had in it (especially never skip the ending tags after the credits).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah given that this season shares a series composition writer with the other biking show this season, I thought it was possible the currently airing season wasn't necessarily reflective of the franchise's quality. Not that the original series composition writer didn't have a somewhat mixed record and the current one was promoted from script, which they did for some of the first two seasons. It hasn't really deterred me but I'm just not expecting it to be at the same level as, say, Haikyuu.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Omg I've been sitting here for the past five freakin' minutes laughing SO HARD ABOUT THE HAND SHAKERS RANKINGS
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
^Why is that?

This is such a weirdly strong and pleasant season. I thought it'd be barren and empty, and just volume wise, it's light, but man, we've got a lot of strong content. With the exception of Seiren, I haven't really been disappointed with anything, honestly. Good job anime! Very Happy
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
^Yeah I've been thinking this has been an underrated season from the beginning. Maybe it isn't as strong as Fall was for many or what Spring looks to be, but there are some real gems here, and I haven't even seen LWA yet Very Happy
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
If Little Witch Academia were able to be listed here, it would (or at least damn well should) be at the top of the list. Stuff's amazing. That being said, the top ten we have here are nothing the sneer at either. There's a lot of great little "wholesome" anime airing this season. Stuff that isn't necessarily tonally heavy or diverse (aside from Scum's Wish, obviously), but still is just joys to watch. Shows like Dragon Maid and Konosuba never fail to make me smile. Hell, even the more low-brow stuff like Masamune-kun is keeping me thoroughly entertained.
Faeris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
Rakugo's the best so I'm glad to see it at the top at least on this because it definitely deserves more attention.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^Why is that?
Oh, I just hadn't seen any of the rankings for the season yet. I'm well aware HS is being obliterated as far as reviews and overall viewership go. I'm a huge fan of the artistry, which is pretty much everyone's main sticking point with the series (story being a very close second). It was just somehow really funny for me to see a show that I know most people hate, but I really like, sit unmoved at the bottom like it has continued to do so since it's airing....

i'm still laughing lol
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote
^I see. Fair enough. I'm actually sort of enjoying it myself. But I'm watching it for all of the wrong reasons(I can't help but wonder if the consistently rock bottom score is at least partly caused by people hate-watching it for fun, rather than people who are legitimately disappointed by it), and while I can appreciate, to some extent, what the animation is trying to do, I don't think it's really succeeding.

zrnzle500 wrote:
and I haven't even seen LWA yet Very Happy

True that! I almost forgot about LWA, but if it were in the rankings and I was able to watch it, I'm sure this season would be going down as one of the better Winters in quite a while, if not just a generally really strong season even among greats like Fall.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:16 am Reply with quote
Rakugo still reigning supreme makes happy, but I have to say that this Winter is unexpectedly strong, despite the lack of good ol' action series I usually love to watch every season (Spring will remedy to that though, so it's okay Wink ).

Glad to see the sadly underrated ACCA making a comeback after a fall that I can't for the life me explain, as episode 3 was in my opinion one of the show's better episodes along with 4 and 5. LWA continues to make me smile and remind me of the old days where Harry Potter used to be my favorite thing and I really wish I could see how it would fare in the rankings against other series, because I have the sneaking suspicion that it would do extremely well. Scum's Wish, Maid Dragon and Konosuba are also all strong titles in their own right so yeah, good top 10.

I'll also say it's shame that IBO dropped so many places after episode 41, which many branded as an example of lazy writing (unfairly and undeservedly so, in my opinion) when the episode itself was easily one of the best of this second season.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
If Little Witch Academia were able to be listed here, it would (or at least damn well should) be at the top of the list. Stuff's amazing. That being said, the top ten we have here are nothing the sneer at either.

Would it? Maybe it's cause I never really got into Harry Potter, but LWA is good but nothing amazing in my eyes. I really don't get the hype, it's seems like just a dim a dozen anime, the visual are kinda nice but that's about it.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Jayhosh wrote:
If Little Witch Academia were able to be listed here, it would (or at least damn well should) be at the top of the list. Stuff's amazing. That being said, the top ten we have here are nothing the sneer at either.

Would it? Maybe it's cause I never really got into Harry Potter, but LWA is good but nothing amazing in my eyes. I really don't get the hype, it's seems like just a dim a dozen anime, the visual are kinda nice but that's about it.

I have no way of legitimately knowing, but I think it should be. It probably just isn't giving you what you personally require to consider something amazing. There's not too many direct plot points so far and it's intentionally light-hearted and easy viewing, more directly cartoonish than most anime. If you're expecting something that will challenge you to some extreme degree, it won't give you that. And I'm not into Harry Potter either, btw. And the animation is stunning; truly inspired work from Trigger. Saying it's just "kinda nice" almost seems like a massive understatement to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2