• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, February 20-26

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote
WTF! I waited weeks for this week and GANTZ: O only sold 3k? WTF! Japan failed me. At least planetarian did as expected.
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:43 am Reply with quote
I hope Fate/kaleid can get some more sales as well next week. If I recall correctly the second week it usually gets an additional 500 or so.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:12 am Reply with quote
Wow, quite a strong week compared to what we've seen over the last several months. The top 20 almost entirely above 3k for the week. Great showing from YOI halfway through it's release and Kubikiri Cycle too. Just finished Gantz:0 literally 10 minutes ago, and not too surprised to see it get a respectable, but somewhat underwhelming 3.5k. I wonder if that's profitable at all. And what it cost to make. The CG was really fantastic, for sure.
Animepokegirl89

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
Dang! Yuri On Ice is destroying Love Live Sunshine. xD I honestly (despite loving it) thought that Yuri On Ice wouldn't be doing as well as it is. Beating a popular Idol franchise like Love Live? And Love Live Sunshine was confirmed for a season 2. So that should guarantee a season 2 of Yuri On Ice as well. They would be stupid not to. Especially after all of these sales. xD (PS: I can't wait for season 2 of Love Live Sunshine. Chika x Riko hype!)
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see that there wasn't a significant dip in quantities sold for YOI between vols 2 and 3. Volume 1 and 2 included an event application so they would of course outsell any volumes that didn't include that bonus, but there's "only" about a 3000 disc dip each for both BD and DVD. It would've been very telling had there been like a 10,000 disc decline.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:09 am Reply with quote
[quote="crosswithyou"]It's nice to see that there wasn't a significant dip in quantities sold for YOI between vols 2 and 3. Volume 1 and 2 included an event application so they would of course outsell any volumes that didn't include that bonus, but there's "only" about a 3000 disc dip each for both BD and DVD. [quote]
For better or worst, good to know the whole export ban or lack of event tickets didn't harshly affect BD sales. Still YOI selling 10k more than Love Live Sunshine is fantastic news; a new best selling franchise for the anime industry. Wouldn't be surprised if a season 2 announcement came later this year or early 2018. Wonder if the Zaregoto OVA has any chance of getting released to the US since Aniplex is involved?
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
It's nice to see that there wasn't a significant dip in quantities sold for YOI between vols 2 and 3. Volume 1 and 2 included an event application so they would of course outsell any volumes that didn't include that bonus, but there's "only" about a 3000 disc dip each for both BD and DVD. It would've been very telling had there been like a 10,000 disc decline.

A 10k drop would have been an average to good hold actually for a series of its size. (For comparison, LLSS dropped 22k and had a 5k lower vol2 wk1) A 4k drop is actually incredible.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
4600 for Brave Witches, not bad.

EDIT: just saw the Strike Witches complete BR set almost sell 4600 as well...that's even more impressive considering the insane price!
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:05 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
4600 for Brave Witches, not bad.

And almost 4600 for strike witches. It was a good week for the witches.
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:12 am Reply with quote
I'm very glad to see that YOI didn't get a significant drop, outselling Love Live and getting the 1st spot again. And wow, Touken Ranbu Hanamaru sold more than ReZero, and it wasn't a very good anime even for Tourabu fans like me... Makes me wonder how much the ufotable anime will sell then. Laughing
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
These kinds of charts are always a little confusing to me. Is there any sort of chart that compiles the total sales of a series over all volumes?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
These kinds of charts are always a little confusing to me. Is there any sort of chart that compiles the total sales of a series over all volumes?

someanithing compiles averages
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
Actually, good to see the YuYuShiki OAV did pretty well, maybe that'd spark demand for a second series.

Yeah. Wishful thinking, I know.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Well Brave Witches all most made it to 5k but Yuyushiki OAV did really well
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

someanithing compiles averages

http://www.someanithing.com/table-of-contents

You'll want to scroll down to "Per Volume Sales By Year" It is alphabetical so you just need to know the Japanese title of whatever you are looking for. You can also search "Average Sales By Year" which ranks them according to the average sales per volume.(Note: if you do use this method, please remember it is NOT the total sales, but the average, so the total number of volumes sold is going to be a multiple of that number + the number of volumes)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2