• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Life-Size Statue of RX-0 Unicorn Gundam Debuts in Tokyo This Fall

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:31 am Reply with quote
Oh come on! Wing or Wing Zero should have been next.
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:

Or maybe Zeta Gundam or νGundam, honestly anything but Unicorn lol.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
Unicorn would be the easiest gundam that "transforms" to actually implement the transformation in a real life statue though.
The other gundams that have various modes and transformations all require things that would be physically nearly impossible for a life-sized statue.

I wonder what they'll do with the RX-78-2 though?
I can't imagine they'll just leave it in storage somewhere. Hopefully they do a few upgrades and then put it up somewhere else in the country.
Or maybe it can go on tour around the world.

How cool would it be if it showed up at Anime Expo or something, you know? No idea about the shipping or assembly logistics of that... Maybe they could redesign it for "quick" assembly.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
Unicorn is cool because originally Tomino wanted the first Gundam to be all white, since the Gundam was based on Stormtroopers from Star Wars. He was shut down because at the time they felt adding the primary colors blue, red and yellow would sell more toys. The design is an awesome throw back to that. Even if it does have red flowering accents when it transforms. Well it needs something to stand out and sell I suppose.

Was hoping they would go with something Char piloted, but it's all good.

I think Endless Waltz' Wing Zero's giant fairy wings would fall off and take out a school bus. Razz
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
Glad I took the time out to see it again while in Tokyo last weekend for the Yamato 2202 opening day.
ew121

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Unicorn is not nearly half as iconic as the RX-78-2 or the Zeta Gundam(Zeta was pretty much the series that made Gundam truly popular) if they wanted a new statue.

The RX-78-2 statue was good because of what that mecha means, the Unicorn means absolutely nothing and Unicorn as a series is not terrible but it's not that good nor is it a groundbreaking series that changed mecha, it just copypastes plot points from old Gundam series while being a poorly done "sequel" by a guy that wanks imperial japan, something Tomino was always against.

Honestly this is just... wrong.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
Hope the statue wont be a statue made from fiber glass. I saw 3 meter tall display during GBWC and it look horrible looking at near distance.
Give it same quality as previously GFT statue!
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

I would not be surprised if it got repurposed for the Unicorn statue.

What I wanna know is when will they make the rest of that Zaku they had at the exhibit that features a shifting eye.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
The new Gundam Unicorn statue looks awesome AF! Can't wait to see the finish project illuminated at night!
SENPAI--

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
fudge I always wanted to see the GUNDAM
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I find it strange how anybody could find this weird. Unicorn's OVA was an enormous success for Bandai - one of the highest post-2000 points for the franchise, even. It's not at all surprising that it was chosen.

ZetaZaku wrote:

Of course, there are other iconic MS, but Unicorn is an easy choice. Probably in the top 5, and certainly higher than, say, Victory. Maybe only JUST behind a Zaku or Zeta, and more modern than either, which is points in its favor from a mainstream promotional perspective.

ew121 wrote:
The RX-78-2 statue was good because of what that mecha means, the Unicorn means absolutely nothing and Unicorn as a series is not terrible but it's not that good nor is it a groundbreaking series that changed mecha, it just copypastes plot points from old Gundam series while being a poorly done "sequel" by a guy that wanks imperial japan, something Tomino was always against.

Honestly this is just... wrong.

Opinions, opinions. Unicorn - while it has its flaws - stands pretty well on its own thematically, and does more interesting stuff with Newtypes and the whole concept of them than the vast majority of the franchise manages to (even if it kinda drops the ball with all that in the finale). It's a slick, well-produced, mostly-well-written, very-well-liked entry. Unicorn "means" a lot, both in its own series and in real life (Bandai's pocketbook). Nothing about this feels wrong. It makes perfect sense.

And as for the original author, well. The OVA - ie, the version that is actually popular - differs significantly in a huge number of ways from Fukui's novels, and if there was any Imperialistic subtext to those (I think there is?), it's missing in the OVA entirely. There are people who read the OVA as being pro-Zeon, but those people are wrong.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
ZetaZaku wrote:
Topgunguy wrote:

The largest of the 100+ kits I own is a Wing, so I definitely understand the appeal of a giant Wing or Wing Zero, but stop and think about how much of either of those suit's iconic silhouettes depends on their armament, especially their shields. Part of the appeal of the RX-78-2 and the Unicorn is that you can put either of them up in public without any weaponry and people will recognize them.

As for the Zeta... well, I've put together enough Zetas to know that the legs would become an issue at that scale.

ew121 wrote:
The RX-78-2 statue was good because of what that mecha means

It doesn't "mean" anything; it's a giant ad for Gundam models. The Unicorn is a very good choice because it lights up in a really cool way, which will attract crowds at night.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Pretty sure they're making it move. ANN had some articles about that, and it seems like they actually have some funding and had serious proposals submitted by academics.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
The largest of the 100+ kits I own is a Wing, so I definitely understand the appeal of a giant Wing or Wing Zero, but stop and think about how much of either of those suit's iconic silhouettes depends on their armament, especially their shields.

There is also the matter of the wings which is a strike against Freedom and Strike Freedom which are also in the top favorite designs. They would really need to have their wings out and weapons for full effect. Seems like that could potentially add a stability issue, but it definitely would make for a much more tacky statue than Unicorn simply standing there.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... meh, never liked the unicorn all that much (honestly I liked it more in its unicorn form than destroyer mode). If they really had to change, how about a zaku II at least, far more iconic and better looking to boot.

If it has to be from the OVA, pick the Sinanju at least.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Yeah... meh, never liked the unicorn all that much (honestly I liked it more in its unicorn form than destroyer mode). If they really had to change, how about a zaku II at least, far more iconic and better looking to boot.

If it has to be from the OVA, pick the Sinanju at least.

What I want is them to put the rx-78-2 up again with a red zaku ii, in a custom made diorama and then use projection mapping and lasers to do a show battle between them.

Now that would be cool and timeless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2