• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Masaaki Yuasa Directs New Devilman Anime for Netflix

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
This is actually a really pleasant surprise, looking forward to this!
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I love Masaaki Yuasa and Devilman, very excited.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry... "Devilman crybaby"? What the... why the fudge? I'm actually speechless right now.

I mean, Masaaki Yuasa + Devilman is really cool, but I can't get over how ridiculous that name is.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I'm sorry... "Devilman crybaby"? What the... why the fudge? I'm actually speechless right now.

I mean, Masaaki Yuasa + Devilman is really cool, but I can't get over how ridiculous that name is.

Lol so you haven't noticed the other 90,000 ridiculous anime titles??? Lmao
AnimeBoy16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I did not see this coming at all. I've seen how violent and messed up the Devilman franchise can be, so seeing that Yuasa is directing this shocked me.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I was one of the first people to talk shit on this because I thought it was gonna be CG dumpster fire like the Cyborg 009 Netflix show. I stand corrected. Atleast I hope it isn't. It appears to be 2d animation. One hell of a director too.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Violent and messed up, sounds like Kemonozume, so this should be well within Yuasa's capabilities.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
I was one of the first people to talk shit on this because I thought it was gonna be CG dumpster fire like the Cyborg 009 Netflix show. I stand corrected. Atleast I hope it isn't. It appears to be 2d animation. One hell of a director too.
it looks a bit like those pre-Xerox Disney films, where there is no viable line art.

I hope being on Netflix means they can make it as violent as possible.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Except it is a very clever title as it is a reference to the English phrase "Devil may care (attitude)" (which the phrase was already turned into the Capcom series Devil May Cry, a pun on how much demon killing the protagonist does in that series)

The point of the title "Crybaby" means that our titled hero cares so much over the deaths of innocents he would be willing to become a demon to take the fight to them.

This is far from the worst Engrish turn of a title, and is straight to the point when you have light novels having an arms race over how many words they can title there work.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Please don't censorship the gore and nudity. This looks like a new faithful adaption of the manga. I've been waiting for a new Devilman anime for so long. I can't not wait to see this anime! Sure the OVA's will have more faithful art of the manga, but I wanted a compete anime adaption of the Devilman manga for ages.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:

Except it is a very clever title as it is a reference to the English phrase "Devil may care (attitude)" (which the phrase was already turned into the Capcom series Devil May Cry, a pun on how much demon killing the protagonist does in that series)

The point of the title "Crybaby" means that our titled hero cares so much over the deaths of innocents he would be willing to become a demon to take the fight to them.

This is far from the worst Engrish turn of a title, and is straight to the point when you have light novels having an arms race over how many words they can title there work.

Wow, the fact that people are actually defending this name baffles me almost as much as the name itself. The connotation of crybaby is so far and away from Devilman that it's actually kind of impressive. This isn't on the same level as other dumb anime titles, either. Those are either excessively wordy or have nothing to do with the subject matter, rather than being directly antithetical to the franchise it's attached to. Also, most of those titles aren't attached to such long-running, revered franchises. This is, point blank, a pants-on-head-stupid name.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Would be real nice if Netflix would pick up that live action"monster" adaptation that HBO passed on.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Please be an adaption of the manga, please be an adaption of the manga.

FenixFiesta wrote:

Akira was kind but he was also a giant coward and emotionally volatile. If I remember the original manga right, he really only cared about his friends and family spoiler[post Amon-fusion] which is why spoiler[the death of Miki] broke him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:

FenixFiesta wrote:

Akira was kind but he was also a giant coward and emotionally volatile. If I remember the original manga right, he really only cared about his friends and family spoiler[post Amon-fusion] which is why spoiler[the death of Miki] broke him.

Sorry,it's an original story not adaptation
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
#866345 wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:

FenixFiesta wrote:

Sorry,it's an original story not adaptation

Article here says it's an adaption: http://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1489572609
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3