• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The 1st Female Kamen Rider Makes a Very Pink Debut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
Actually the first female Kamen Rider was in the Ryuki movie, but if were talking tv shows than there was Kamen Rider Marika in Gaim.
Anpanmon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Actually the first female Kamen Rider was in the Ryuki movie, but if were talking tv shows than there was Kamen Rider Marika in Gaim.

Yup, but Poppi is technically first female protagonist to have her own Rider form in TV series.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
megumi aso wasn't kamen rider kiva-la she shortly transformed into Ixa during the movie but that was it Kamen Rider Kiva-la appeared in the second Kamen Rider Decade movie and was Natsumi Hikari
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I doubt any bad guys are gonna be surprised its a woman behind the mask.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
There was also Nadeshiko in Fourze, Mage in Wizard, and Satonaka was one of the 4 people to use the Birth suit in OOOs. Saying Poppy is the first female rider doesn't make sense.

-Stuart Smith
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
This is big!

Too many other Rider girls have only been movie-only deals, with some very weak excuse as to why they can't keep their power or can't stay with the cast. Kamen Rider Fourze was really stupid, with Nadeshiko spoiler[pulling a "My planet needs me" bit].

As much as I love Kamen Rider, the franchise is awful with women. Drive danced around the reason why the super-competent Kiriko couldn't transform ("She just can't!"), and Faiz basically pulled the same thing with two women trying to use the Faiz belt (which even non-humans wound up using, for crying out loud!). Most other shows don't present the mere possibility of it happening.

I really don't wanna be a wet blanket, because regardless of being first or not, this is the first mainline Kamen Rider woman in four years, with a significant role on the show. I'm excited for this!
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
There was also Nadeshiko in Fourze, Mage in Wizard, and Satonaka was one of the 4 people to use the Birth suit in OOOs. Saying Poppy is the first female rider doesn't make sense.

-Stuart Smith

There was also Kamen Rider Delta, who was a woman at first.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Anpanmon wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Yup, but Poppi is technically first female protagonist to have her own Rider form in TV series.

Protagonist, maybe, but Marika in Gaim still beats her out. And, even then, Marika wasn't necessarily just an antagonist, either, she was fairly neutral after the first arc she was in.
AshlingWaltzes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Marika was before Poppi by three seasons and she was awesome.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
AshlingWaltzes wrote:

That's not the point the source article used by ANN is making. They use the word "heroine" in the way Toei uses it, to describe the leading female actress. In that sense, yes, this is the first heroine Kamen Rider. She's most definitely not the first female Kamen Rider.

Quote:
Somehow I doubt any bad guys are gonna be surprised its a woman behind the mask.

Considering she's recently been swayed to the side of the villains, I don't think that'll be a big deal.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
This article is wrong, she's the 14th Female Rider. The first one would be technically Miho Kirishima or Electro Human Wave Tackle before that if she counts. Confused
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
You can have all your white knights defend you in the comments by arguing semantics all you want. The title of the article itself is still wrong and clickbait.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
This is big!

Too many other Rider girls have only been movie-only deals, with some very weak excuse as to why they can't keep their power or can't stay with the cast. Kamen Rider Fourze was really stupid, with Nadeshiko spoiler[pulling a "My planet needs me" bit].

As much as I love Kamen Rider, the franchise is awful with women. Drive danced around the reason why the super-competent Kiriko couldn't transform ("She just can't!"), and Faiz basically pulled the same thing with two women trying to use the Faiz belt (which even non-humans wound up using, for crying out loud!). Most other shows don't present the mere possibility of it happening.

I really don't wanna be a wet blanket, because regardless of being first or not, this is the first mainline Kamen Rider woman in four years, with a significant role on the show. I'm excited for this!

I got the feeling with the Drive writers that they wanted Kiriko to be a Kamen Rider but couldn't because of the higher ups said no, so they just teased on it.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
#sukkar wrote:
AshlingWaltzes wrote:

That's not the point the source article used by ANN is making. They use the word "heroine" in the way Toei uses it, to describe the leading female actress. In that sense, yes, this is the first heroine Kamen Rider. She's most definitely not the first female Kamen Rider.

[.

Even that is debatable considering Natsumi in Decade becomes one and Koyomi from Wizard.
faboo95

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
This article is wrong, she's the 14th Female Rider. The first one would be technically Miho Kirishima or Electro Human Wave Tackle before that if she counts. Confused

I was just thinking this as well. Sad that as a casual fan even I know that there have already been a handful of heroines/riders in the franchise, in both film and television versions of the series. I wouldn't consider this article "clickbait", but it is definitely completely wrong
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2