• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Pirate Captain Harlock Manga's Live-Action Rights Acquired by Film World Studios

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:58 am Reply with quote
A live action Captain Harlock, huh? I hope it's better than that Space Battleship Yamato movie (which was okay, but nothing special). Maybe having more than one good set would help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
Not a lawyer, but I'm not sure how you can adapt one without having the rights to the other. It's like when Harmony Gold thinks it can do a live-action Robotech without having the Asian rights to Macross, or when Uni tried to get the live-action Pluto rights separately from Astro Boy.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
So will this capture the true Leiji by casting like 12 people to play a cast of 60?
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Is it going to be American or Japanese live action?
catbot158

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
Is it going to be American or Japanese live action?

I think it's American? The studio is, anyway.

I have no idea who these guys are. Are they new? Now I'm wondering if this is gonna be one of those low-budget adaptations they made back in the day. If so, at least we'll be able to riff on it!
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like some sort of Chinese/Hong Kong production, "Film World Studios" that is something a non (western) English speaker would come up with as it sounds like a disingenuous name for a company to a native speaker.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
You could actually make this pretty cool (like Guardians of the Galaxy but reduce the humor down to Winter Soldier levels) but I doubt it will turn out good.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
This better not suck, if it's anywhere near as good as Ghost in the Shell visually but not as bad as its script then I'm sold. I really want these anime live-action films to be great and successful and hopefully we'll get to see that in the future with "Alita: Battle Angel," "Lone Wolf & Cub," "Akira," the Korean "Jin-Roh" film, and now this movie. Please don't suck.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
If it is a American film, I wonder if people will be upset over the casting or not? I feel like Harlock could be play by anyone.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
If it is a American film, I wonder if people will be upset over the casting or not? I feel like Harlock could be play by anyone.

Technically, Harlock ancestor are german and english, if I remember well. It would be logical for him to be portrayed by a caucasian.

Anyway, I saw that a few days ago, I thought it was a fake. The teaser are so cheap, a kid could have done it. The police is pixelated.
lazydude500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
Pros and cons to studios you probably haven't heard of licensing the film rights.

Pros:
Maybe TPTB actually care about good casting and a faithful adaptation

Cons:
Struggle to get investors = lower budget --> movie not as great as it could be
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1