• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'your name.' Anime Film Earns US$4.5 Million in N. America

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epicwizard

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
This must be a pretty popular anime movie here. It can't stop making money. Smile
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Good for Shinkai. Regardless of whether the story is common, or not [I am yet to see it properly], I am happy for someone who has put effort [and money] to succeed in their work.
Animepokegirl89

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I fell in love with this movie. I went to go see it on April 23rd. I went with my mom and niece. I'm glad it did pretty good here as well. :3
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Had plans to see this movie dubbed in theaters and was so excited, pre-purchased tickets and everything but ride cancelled on me last minute and I never got to go, was super sad Sad Guess I'll just have to wait a super long time until the bluray is released to finally be able to see this movie/dub -sadness-
Kidkidd

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:02 am Reply with quote
Its still showing near me. That's impresdive. I might go again this week.
Xavon

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Good movie. I'd rather Ordinal Scale had a real run, rather than two one shots.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
hmm how is this on big screen? i forget the last time i saw an anime on the big screen but wouldn't the resolution be kinda weird? and i tend to want to enjoy intimate/emotional scenes by myself.. those are the reasons i haven't gone

edit: actually i saw a couple miyazaki films on big screen, but his films have a lot of complexities because of the hand drawn nature. but shinkai's cg is also pretty slick and unique.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Update: on the weekend of May 5th to 7th, 2017, Your Name, ranked #32 and added $89,864 more to its North American box office cume at 74 theatres, It lost 49 venues compared to last weekend and had a per-theater average of $1,214, ranking at #36 on the PTA chart. Your Name's total North American box office cume as of Sunday, May 7th is $4,676,810.

jtstellar wrote:
hmm how is this on big screen? i forget the last time i saw an anime on the big screen but wouldn't the resolution be kinda weird?

Resolution as in "the number of lines in the picture" or resolution as in "wrapping up the main story"? Your Name was animated for theatres and, while I don't know what the exact resolution is, it certainly looked better than regular 1080p Blu-Ray resolution. I presume the digitial file for Your Name that movie theatres get to display on the big screen is either equivalent to or better than UltraHD 4K resolution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCTakato

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm still disappointed my city didn't play this movie anywhere at all as it was the one movie I was most looking forward to seeing in theaters this year. I was kind of surprised since my city has usually been pretty good about getting anime. We got The Boy and the Beast last year and we got The Wind Rises too. We even got the Sailor Moon R movie earlier this year which I was really lucky to get to see in theaters but we oddly didn't get Your Name at all even though it played in all the other major cities in my state.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1