• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Director Jordan Peele Explains Why He Isn't Directing Live-Action Akira

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
That makes sense. Who doesn`t want to make their own art?
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I like when books/anime/video games get the chance to be on the big screen, but a lot of times they turn out to be trash.

I wish that directors would :
1. stick with the original content; at least at first (if they want to do original ideas after that fine, but at least make the first movie original)

It doesn't have to be cut and paste from its original source, but there's a reason it was popular enough in the first place to be a book/anime/video game and not just an idea.

2. Focus on the quality of the movie rather than how much money it can make by just slapping a popular title on it.

3. Preferably be a fan of the original material, but if not, have the decency to do thorough research to make it the best it can be.

4. Not assume that because it isn't mainstream that it won't do well.

5. Care more about the storyline than how good the graphics can be to attract people

6. Get their audience's views and opinions Not to the point where nothing gets done, but I mean, they are the people who will ultimately see the movie so...

7. Along with #6, work with the author or at least get feedback. Again, not to the point where nothing gets done.

8. Directors should definitely get a bit of freedom, but don't make unnecessary changes (random cosmetic changes [hair, eyes, etc.], overall story line, etc.)

It should be an adaptation, not a creation. And for goodness' sake, if you're adapting an anime into a live action movie, let them keep their anime hair!!

Well that's just my humble opinion, here's hoping more adaptations will not end up in the trash. Maybe I can even hope that one day adaptations will be good and actually impress the fandoms and strangers to the original material.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I am ok wiht them not respecitn gmost of these rules as long as they keep the spirit of the work, which , while more abstract , gives them more freedom; something liek all you need is kill, even while changing the mc and the title, it got the spirit right; unlike other adpatations that copy scenes verbatim, yet manage to do a few things that compeltely break the idea.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
SailorPluto1313 wrote:
2. Focus on the quality of the movie rather than how much money it can make by just slapping a popular title on it.
The problem there is that the people funding it are concerned about how much money it makes, and the creative staff sadly have to appease them.
Not_Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
SailorPluto1313 wrote:
The problem there is that the people funding it are concerned about how much money it makes, and the creative staff sadly have to appease them.

You need money to make a quality movie, and to make money you need people to see it. It's sucks that's the way it is.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
So he's not interested in adapting anything? Because he could make a very different movie if he looks at the whole original manga and not just the anime adaptation...too bad...
manapear

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
That's fair. Of many of the directors we have, he's one of very few that I think could handle the race and political issues well, but this would be a great opportunity to give space and opportunity to an Asian (preferably Japanese-American) director.

I certainly hope Peele gets to work on more original content~.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why the hell they keep this in limbo. They should give up. It's not going anywhere at this rate.
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Not_Nitsugalego wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
SailorPluto1313 wrote:

You need money to make a quality movie, and to make money you need people to see it. It's sucks that's the way it is.

I understand completely what you're saying; it really does stink that it has to be like that. I just hate when people say oh I'll just do whatever I want and then slap the name of a popular franchise on it and then are surprised when it bombs.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
My question is how would they do the part where spoiler[Tetsuo turns into a giant flesh monster] justice in live action
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Nightster: They'd probably do it in the vein of a CG version of Riki-Oh, or that scene in Big Trouble in Little China. Cool
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I have no issue with the idea of a live action Akira film assuming the script and casting is done well and it has the necessary budget.

The main thing is that they don't need to just remake the anime. The manga is dramatically different and would make for an excellent film trilogy if adapted faithfully.
Justy93

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Good for him. For these type of movies "creative control" was gonna be compromised with all the money put on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough, but it's a shame to see yet another talented director turning down this project, after George Miller, Justin Lin, and Christopher Nolan. Hopefully they get someone proven, and someone great. I think Jon Favreau could work.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
SailorPluto1313 wrote:
4. Not assume that because it isn't mainstream that it won't do well.

If you're taking a relatively obscure work and adapting it into another medium that's a pretty realistic mindset to have though.

SailorPluto1313 wrote:
5. Care more about the storyline than how good the graphics can be to attract people

...you mean visuals?

SailorPluto1313 wrote:
6. Get their audience's views and opinions Not to the point where nothing gets done, but I mean, they are the people who will ultimately see the movie so...

Focus groups are a thing. But realistically speaking getting opinions isn't really a recipe for success since people tend to have differing opinions on the same thing and those opinions don't tend to be well thought out.

The video game FUSE is what happens when you make the mistake of listening to opinions and in turn turn out an inferior product as a result.

SailorPluto1313 wrote:
It should be an adaptation, not a creation. And for goodness' sake, if you're adapting an anime into a live action movie, let them keep their anime hair!!

Yeah.....that not going to work though so it's going to either A. Be impractical or B. Simply look silly.

You can get away (sometimes) with the cast running around with tacky looking wigs or dyed hair but not the outlandish looking hair styles synonymous with anime or manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2