• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise to Co-Produce Live-Action Cowboy Bebop TV Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
Thor: The Dark World was bad though.

... that was actually the movie that made me lose faith in movies. I haven't seen anything live-action since then, since that was so bad.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
Uuuh I dont know about this...
nagpo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
Here comes another live action anime abomination...it's almost as if Ghost in the shell and dragon ball weren't enough.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Um, wouldn't a live-action Bebop series be Firefly? Rolling Eyes
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
Yost is the guy who created X-23, so be prepared for Spike to encounter a younger, boobier version of himself on the field of battle! Clone, robot, or long-lost twin? Taking all bets spoiler[I also offer video poker]!
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Why?
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
Like Leia said: I have a bad feeling about this
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Yost is the guy who created X-23, so be prepared for Spike to encounter a younger, boobier version of himself on the field of battle! Clone, robot, or long-lost twin? Taking all bets spoiler[I also offer video poker]!

X-23 is dope though.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
I'll believe it when I see it. And then I probably still won't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
I think it's pretty clear that Cowboy Bebop was lightning in a bottle. The specific, eclectic mix of creators and visions guided by Shinichiro Watanabe is the kind of thing that you really can't replicate without those same people involved. I really don't think this is going to pan out well.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
Going from a movie to now a TV series? I'll believe it when I actually see it happen. With that in mind, I wonder which channel would be lucky or unlucky to get this if it actually happens at all.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I think it's pretty clear that Cowboy Bebop was lightning in a bottle. The specific, eclectic mix of creators and visions guided by Shinichiro Watanabe is the kind of thing that you really can't replicate without those same people involved. I really don't think this is going to pan out well.

The Japanese liked it because it was noir and jazz-stylish, the US liked it because it caught the sudden 90's attention for anime by showing for free on Cartoon Network where everyone could watch it.
(Thus replacing Pokemon and DBZ as "the" anime show to watch if you wanted to claim you watched Anime.)

Pierrot. wrote:
Why?

If it was Japan, it would be the same two reasons ANY Japanese live-action version of manga/anime:
1) A story with adult appeal, for Japanese adults who like the manga story but don't want the public stigma of being accused of watching the anime (no, really, I like girls, I have a job!),
or
2) 20th-anniversary nostalgia that didn't want to, or couldn't, do another Sailor Moon Crystal reboot, and decided to go for the "Pretty Soldier" live-action nostalgia tribute instead.

But it's a US production (Sunrise gave their blessing), which means it's pretty much the same as Netflix's Death Note:
Old-fogey execs trying to capitalize on the Young Kids' New Anime Thing by picking the common trendy new-fan default title from fifteen or twenty years ago. The '13 Keanu movie died in limbo, so it may have just eventually washed up on cable's beaches just like any other shipwrecked project.
(I say "cable" even though there's no word in the article of where it's going to syndicate, meaning it'll probably show up on streaming. Just like Death Note.)

And now that we've finally had the Ghost in the Shell movie completed, that only leaves that Akira movie...
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Yeah..... TV shows usually have more to them than movies, and Sunrise is involved... but those comments for Watanabe and Keanu Reeves (of all people) don't sound promising, even if that is for a different adaptation.

#861208 wrote:
Thor: The Dark World was bad though.

... that was actually the movie that made me lose faith in movies. I haven't seen anything live-action since then, since that was so bad.

Uh... it's no one's favorite Marvel movie but... that's a little - extreme. And besides, Yost barely wrote that movie; he was basically just the script consultant who writes comic books and therefore could contribute to the movie.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
Whose in charge of the music? That's kinda the biggest of the deal.

You know, Keanu Reeves would make an awesome Vicious.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
Here comes another live action anime abomination...it's almost as if Ghost in the shell and dragon ball weren't enough.

They never really stopped Japan has been making loads of bad live-action anime adaptions for years now but they seem to be cranking it up at the moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5