• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal Anime's 4th Season Revealed as 2-Part Film Project

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
Over the moon (heh) Chiaki Kon is returning.

But I'm not sure how I feel about the movie format. It being split into two movies does make me feel more optimistic, but I hope it doesn't result in too much content getting cut.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
Split on this in that I hated the Super S season, so less of that is better. Then again, I want to know more of the manga version of this arc, so hopefully they expand more on the manga side.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
They won't be able to fit the entire Dream arc into two movies!
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
Oh man. SMC has been a really problematic production. First a crappy two season web-only series that got delayed a year. Then a decent third season that aired on TV and now two movies. Nothing has been consistent with this remake. Does someone high up at Toei really hate the Sailor Moon franchise?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
The Dead Moon arc in the manga has one major advantage over the anime, and that's that the Amazon Quartet appears at the very beginning, so no 997 episodes of watching [expletive] Tiger's Eye do the same bit over and over again.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
Fallenmessiahx wrote:
Oh man. SMC has been a really problematic production. First a crappy two season web-only series that got delayed a year. Then a decent third season that aired on TV and now two movies. Nothing has been consistent with this remake. Does someone high up at Toei really hate the Sailor Moon franchise?

Seriously, I feel like Sailor Moon Crystal is becoming one of the biggest wasted potential of an IP revival I've seen. And to think when this was first announced, I remember huge amount of hype surrounding it even outside anime circles. But this time, barely a blip.

Even the Dragon Ball Z franchise gets a continuing storyline (for better or worse), new merchandising, and a new, sleek fighting game from Arc System Works. What does Crystal have to show for it to bring in new fans?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Well that a shame 2 movie hopefuly they will be at less 2 hours each
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
I hated the SuperS anime season, but the manga is supposed to be much better, since it focuses less on Chibi-Usa, and the Outers remain main characters. Hopefully this is still just as faithful as the other episodes. It's also cool that the "good" Crystal director is returning.

It's also possible it might be cut up into TV episodes later like Gundam Unicorn.

Also praying that they get one more season. That's another arc that was much better in the manga.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
If this isn't proof that Toei really only cares about the merchandise, I don't know what is. I mean, it was obvious from the start we were only getting this remake to sell overpriced makeup and purses, but it's gotten SO BAD over the last two years or so.

And thus, I am done. Goodbye fandom, goodbye Bandai and other merchandise creators, goodbye Sailor Moon. I'm so sorry they brought you back from the dead only to treat you the way they have.
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
If each movie is 2 hours long then the full runtime would a bit longer than a twelve episode season. When you take out commercials and opening/ending themes, each episode would be around 20-25 minutes long.
Hopefully since its a movie format the production quality would be much nicer. But it's Toei so I won't hold my breath on that.
Ethe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested to see how these movies will turn out.

In my opinion, the main problem with SMC so far is (ironically) the fact that it closely follows the source material, and since the source material is decent at best, so is the anime.

I've never read past the Inifinity arc though, so who knows, maybe the next arcs will surprise me.
Taifood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Fallenmessiahx wrote:
If each movie is 2 hours long then the full runtime would a bit longer than a twelve episode season. When you take out commercials and opening/ending themes, each episode would be around 20-25 minutes long.
Hopefully since its a movie format the production quality would be much nicer. But it's Toei so I won't hold my breath on that.
Yep. Considering that each season of Crystal has been around 13 episodes so far, nothing is really changing here. I'm hoping that they're a bit longer than 2 hours to keep up with the length of previous seasons.

My concern is if this move is going to be too convoluted to gain enough profit. If the movies don't do well, then Sailor Stars might never be rebooted.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm divided. I don't know whether I should be crazy happy or super pissed. I mean yeah, I wanted more Crystal but not like this. The dream arc is kinda long, longer than the Infinity Arc, and I'm not sure if they can fit everything in movies. But you know, I'm not gonna complain too much just yet. For now I'll just be happy Crystal is even getting a continuation.

Haterater wrote:
Split on this in that I hated the Super S season, so less of that is better. Then again, I want to know more of the manga version of this arc, so hopefully they expand more on the manga side.

SuperS was indeed trash (its actually considered to be the worst of the 5 seasons) but it was much MUCH better in the manga, so no worries. SuperS may have adapted the Dream Arc, but they're as different as night and day.

Last edited by SailorNaruto on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely disappointed with this news.
I imagine the first movie will be about spoiler[the sailors getting their powers up, fighing againt the Amazon Trio and finishing on the Outer coming back.]
And the second movie should be about spoiler[the fight against the Amazon Quartet and Nehelenia.]

Now I'm scared how they will adapt the Stars arc, I hope it'd be at least a 3 movies adaptation.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Fallenmessiahx wrote:

Each TV episode is about 24 minutes without commercials, each OP/ED is about 1:30 each, so an episode without commercials or OP/ED would be about 21 minutes, so a 120 minutes movie would be the equivalent of 5.71 episodes (less when we take into account that part of those two hours will have the closing credits). So two 2 hour movies are about the equivalent to a 11 episodes TV series and even less if the movies are shorter than that.

IMO this is the classical cash grab "look, all the cool franchises are making movies, lets make one, no, two movies too". The only good thing I can see in this is that we will get a pretty good approximation of how many Sailor Moon fans are left in japan after the Crystal fiasco, that is supposing the movies makes it into the top 10 movies of the week.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4