• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gamers! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote

Gamers! (TV)

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 12 volumes written by Sekina Aoi, illustrated by Saboten)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Pine Jam

Genres: comedy, romance

Themes: club, games, love triangle, school, video games

Plot Summary: Keita Amano is a lonely young man who loves video games; Karen Tendō is the beautiful president of the video game club; Chiaki Hoshinomori constantly fights with Keita; and Tasuku Uehara puts on a facade of being satisfied with his life in the real world, but he in truth loves video games.

Air Date & Platform:
July 13, 2017 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I consider myself gamer first, anime fan second so I'll probably check this out. It might be a decent light hearted rom com that might be a bit relatable as well.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Looks cute. :3 I'm in.

(I've been gaming a lot myself lately. Anime hyper)
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I'll admit, this was fun even though the characters are a bit generic with the school setting.

I felt kinda bad for Tendou since it did seem like she got rejected by Amano when asked to join the Gamer's Club. Hopefully this show will develop their relationship more. Visually, it looked alright although there are some QUALITY scenes. Seems like a fun show so far.

Oh I want to know more about that girl playing the fighting video game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
As much as I wish the Gal show's internal monologues went far longer than they needed to to make their point, its existence makes watching a show like this the next day a bit questionable in how it sweeps under the rug a lot of unpleasant ideas about this kind of thing. So I was pleasantly surprised that, after the initial setup with the hot chick liking the nerd for no good reason, the show has the comedic chops to deliver a more absurd take on the wish-fulfillment model through excellent timing and visual portrayal of awkwardness.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm not completely against the school's hottest girl falling for the loser main character kind of story or anything but I'm happy that this show turned out to be something else. So it's more like a bunch of oddballs becoming friends through video games. And it's also not just the main character being surrounded by a bunch of cute girls, there are actually other dudes in there. So for me this show started off really strong.

And: "Another headshot!"

*adjusts glasses*

It wasn't a headshot according to the killfeed.

Razz

Well, ok. Maybe COS doesn't show headshots in the killfeed.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
FWIW, I think she *does* like him, and wanted him to be in her club for reasons beyond him liking games. She pretty much says that at their confrontation at the end of the episode. I almost think she created the club specifically to get him to join it with her, though that might be a bit far-fetched.

I did find the expressions of his classmates during the two times they were talking in his classroom to be priceless. The show framing it all as a love confession was pretty genius, too.

This show has a pretty good mix of things going for it, so I think I'll stick around and see what happens. It looks pretty fun.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I really like this one, more than I thought it would. Went in expecting something like Never A Girl Online, but thankfully it wasn't anything like that lol I like the aesthetic of it, a good amount of the jokes, and most of the characters we were shown (even those outside the club). And I'm appreciating the directing so far.

My only complaint would be those little pieces of text that were constantly popping up, spoiling parts of the story. Really wish they could have just let us come across that when the story actually got there.

But, yeah, this seems like my kind of show. I'll keep up with it.
animecosplayer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
It's a slice of life as it talks about romance, comedy, and school. I am loving the title and the cover photo. Looks like I found a new anime to watch and hopefully it is worth it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, those twists of him actually turning the invitation down were great, especially because I think they are actually good reasons. I am pretty into gaming, it is my oldest geek, and through my time it has existed in various times, I can be a bit competitive, I have tended to be among the best Halo and Smash Bros players in my immediate circle. But enjoyment goes beyond just trying to win, as of now I think it is largely about community, one way I actually can enjoy gaming is by not even playing it myself, I watch plenty of Let's Plays, and watch a lot on theories, lore, discussions on various game mechanics, and on various game mechanics. The biggest recent one has been in table top games of D&D, where a game can actively be used as a vehicle to create and tell a story, and it is not at all about a single person aiming for victory, but everyone can win if they enjoyed themselves.

It might embrace gaming's competitive side going forward, but as of now it feels like it might even be going for the not everything is about winning, which I think is an important part of the gamer community. The casual gaming of mobile phones is even something ever more relevant in the community as certain elitist gamers try to denounce it as something to make a "true gamer".

There were other parts in the episode too, like I really liked the bit that we learned that the one guy plays puzzle games because of something as over the top of losing his memory. It was so silly, and this was after him happening to quickly become a pretty expert FPS player after just trying. I am wondering if it will continue a sort of mocking of the most important thing being so perfect that some shows put attention on. Appreciated with the basic setting with the school idol thing being so cliché at first.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
This was a title I had no intention of even checking out because I thought it might be about high school kids making their own game and I haven't really dug shows with that premise. The reactions of posters/previewers convinced me to try it and I'm glad I did. Definitely some funny stuff here.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha that was fun. The comedy was well-timed, mostly for the MC himself but the couple with the crane game thing was cute too. Character animation is a little funky but this type of show can get away with it. Reminds me of Konosuba's style (I like this better though).
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Well, this episode made me really like this Uehara dude. Though I'm totally shipping Uehara x pink-haired girl and Amano x Tendou, I hope Uehara and Amano become good buddies. I dunno, it's somehow so refreshing to have a simple friendship between two dudes in a show like this. The show is just sort of low on typical LN adaption wish-fulfillment despite being a light novel adaption. Yeah I know Tendou, the hottest girl in the school, has a crush on the nerdy, socially awkward male lead but it seems to played as kind of ironically funny and not just simple LN adaption wish-fulfillment.

The opening was really cool. The music wasn't particularly great but I can appreciate an opening that is so true to its show's content.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Second episode totally sold me on the rest of the show. I like how it actually spent quite a bit of time setting up these interactions between two male characters, that this setting does not just have to be all these girls around one guy. The revelation between Uehara and Aguri was really precious, it was kind of setting up by saying the relationship was a little shallow, which was his worry, before showing that she liked him before that.

To talk aesthetics, have to mention the OP, which is that I love a proper addition of fairly accurate game style references. A lot of standard 8-bit old RPG (Dragon Quest) things is pretty common, even Yona of the Dawn had something, I also look to Magic of Stella for some of its pixel art, but from the OP alone you can see a really good variety of references, this show actually seems to know games. There was something bothering me during the arcade that there was a sound effect I was familiar with but had trouble placing, but I think that it was Donkey Kong, the sound of the springs thrown, and there might have been a bit of the accompanying music.

Right now, the series I am being reminded of is Netoge and a touch of The Art Club Has a Problem. But perhaps better in how this feels thought out.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
Forget the two main leads, I'm way more interested in Tasuku and Aguri! That revelation at the end was really touching, and opens avenues of Aguri for the series to explore. Very likely she's hiding something troubling, judging by the angle we were given when she said all she needs is Tasuku in order to be happy, as well as her reflection during the crane game. Really hope they stay together though.

Amano was good too this episode. Was preemptively rolling my eyes when his outburst on the bridge began, expecting him to "stand up for the girls honor", but it was cool to see he stood up for himself, and Tendo was more of an afterthought.

That post credit scene! Gonna get some fun tension next week Anime hyper But, honestly, it's bothering me how we're just supposed to believe the most popular girl in school is head over heels for the school nerd. Can we please get a good reason for this soon? It feels so hollow right now.

But yeah, loving this series so far!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6