• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Game! Anime's English Dub Cast Revealed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:15 am Reply with quote
I like this cast, certainly wasn't expecting Megan Shipman but I think she can do a great Aoba. Also it should be really interesting to see Michelle Rojas doing an adult character, she normally does kids and teens so her as Yagami should be something to watch.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:32 am Reply with quote
Wonderful news! Cast looks great! Glad to see S1 will be up, dubbed for viewing really soon!

Snakebit1995 wrote:
I like this cast, certainly wasn't expecting Megan Shipman but I think she can do a great Aoba. Also it should be really interesting to see Michelle Rojas doing an adult character, she normally does kids and teens so her as Yagami should be something to watch.

Looking forward to it too! I assume the role will count but I thought she did a great job as Rize Kamishiro from Tokyo Ghoul, with that being one of the rare adult characters like you mentioned.
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:32 am Reply with quote
Knowing recent Funimation dubbing history, New Game girls will be probably forced to fight against Gamergate and violence against women in gaming.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
Knowing recent Funimation dubbing history, New Game girls will be probably forced to fight against Gamergate and violence against women in gaming.

Nice try, but I find that unlikely.

@DuchessBianca
Michelle Rojas didn't voice Rize Kamishiro in Tokyo Ghoul; that was Monica Rial.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:

Can we not bring two year old nonsense into this thread. Funi acknowledged the mistake made there, changed it on the home release and moved on, there's no reason to try and stir it up and derail the thread.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
Tyson isn't attached to this show, so it should be fine
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Can we not bring two year old nonsense into this thread. Funi acknowledged the mistake made there, changed it on the home release and moved on, there's no reason to try and stir it up and derail the thread.

They also did it recently with Dragon Maid.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

They also did it recently with Dragon Maid.

And that was equally blow out of proportion. I'm still of the belief that was an attempt at a witty joke that just fell flat on it's face.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
@Raebo101

Bleh I feel silly, I totally misread "Michelle Rojas" as "Monica Rial" same initials MR and typecasting. That's what I get for trying to read/post first thing after I wake up Anime hyper

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
lycopene

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
which was also written by someone who has a history of changing more than is necessary when writing for a show. thankfully, as far as I can tell, its mostly with comedy shows.

these issues are not wide spread, just localized to two, maybe three people. the rest of the writing staff, at least 17 people, don't have these problems.

Scripting wise, this show is fine.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:

For anyone concerned about possible GamerGate jokes and the like, ADR Director Clifford Chapin lays those concerns to rest: https://www.twitter.com/CliffordChapin/status/885913531148898304
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

And that was equally blow out of proportion. I'm still of the belief that was an attempt at a witty joke that just fell flat on it's face.

For archive sake what was the dragon maid line? I watched the entire series and dont remember anything out of the ordinary.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

For archive sake what was the dragon maid line? I watched the entire series and dont remember anything out of the ordinary.

Basically the whole situation stems from a user on Reddit pointing out that in the episode where Lucoa suddenly changes outfits and Thoru comments on it in the subbed version Lucoa says she did it because she grew tired of people staring at her, in the dubbed she says she did it because "silly patriarchal rules in this society."

That's it, kinda blow out of proportion over a line

Now if you listen you can interpret it as you see fit. To me the context, tone of voice in Marchi's line read, and the shows comedy stylings it feels to me that it was just an attempt at a joke that fell flat, not a deep political statement.

Fortunately this one wasn't as bad as the Prison School debacle where the line made no sense, was clearly political and the writer started insulting fans on Twitter for not liking the line and said they were "condoning rape" by saying it was a nonsense translation that made no sense (frankly I'm almost shocked he didn't get fired for how he acted.) funimation even issued a formal apology over the PS one since it was so blatant and out of line, again the dragon maid issue made the top post of that day on r/anime and The fact Funi never commented makes me think it was just a joke that failed.

Translating isn't easy, not every thing translates well and not everything fits the animation but sometimes changes have to happen.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Without inserting my opinion into the mix, the exchange was:
[Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid Episode 12 Spoilers]
Tohru: "what are you wearing that for?"
Lucoa: "oh those pesky patriarchal societal demands were getting on my nerves, so I changed clothes"
Tohru: "give it a week, they'll be begging you to change back"

vs the sub

Tohru: "what's with that outfit?"
Lucoa: "everyone was always saying something to me, so I tried toning down the exposure. How is it?"
Tohru: "you should try changing your body next."

-------------------------------------------

@Raebo101
Good! Glad to see they worked hard on the adaption. New Game deserves a dub, and a good one, too. Especially considering these SOL comedy shows usually end up with Sentai.[/b]
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Without inserting my opinion into the mix, the exchange was:
[Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid Episode 12 Spoilers]
Tohru: "what are you wearing that for?"
Lucoa: "oh those pesky patriarchal societal demands were getting on my nerves, so I changed clothes"
Tohru: "give it a week, they'll be begging you to change back"

vs the sub

Tohru: "what's with that outfit?"
Lucoa: "everyone was always saying something to me, so I tried toning down the exposure. How is it?"
Tohru: "you should try changing your body next."

-------------------------------------------
[/b]

Really? That's it? I thought it was the "I'm not into girls or dragons" line from episode 1 or the "Get weird and get fired" line from the beach episode that multiple people totally misheard and thought Kobayashi said "touch me and you're fired."

Man people will do anything for retweets these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2