• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dance with Devils: Fortuna Theatrical Film to Have 6 Different Endings

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Well played. From a business perspective this is genius. I belive PriPara did the same for its movie. This way nobody goes away sad. You want a Rem ending? Buy the Rem ticket. You want the elusive Cerberus to win? Buy his ticket.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that strategy is diabolically smart. I am not sure if I would call Dance with Devils good but it was entertaining.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Great move!

Whenever ending you see, is your canon.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I prefer ending C, where spoiler[Wadsworth the Butler did it.]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:55 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro, from a business perspective, this is also kind of a headache. When it goes onto DVD, will there be 1 DVD with all 6 endings or 1 DVD for each ending? From reading about Japanese business practices here, I go with the latter part of the previous sentence.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
pretty cool idea, I gotta say.
definitely good for the fans who want a certain boy to win. I wonder which version of the film gets the most sales (probably rem or lindo?)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:02 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
DmonHiro, from a business perspective, this is also kind of a headache. When it goes onto DVD, will there be 1 DVD with all 6 endings or 1 DVD for each ending?

Allowing the viewer to select the desired ending before the DVD's main feature plays would strike the majority of people as the most straightforward option. Alternative collectors' editions could be produced for those who lust for a product with a single designated 'winner' meeting their preference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
DmonHiro, from a business perspective, this is also kind of a headache. When it goes onto DVD, will there be 1 DVD with all 6 endings or 1 DVD for each ending?

Allowing the viewer to select the desired ending before the DVD's main feature plays would strike the majority of people as the most straightforward option. Alternative collectors' editions could be produced for those who lust for a product with a single designated 'winner' meeting their preference.

Reusing the same earlier joke, that's how the "Clue: the Movie"'s DVD handled its multiple endings--being able to select one branching ending from the menu or take one at random--since DwD can't use what Clue did for its TV/cable cut and put all the endings together. ("Here's how it could have happened...But here's how it really happened...")

Also, since the idea is apparently that we're SUPPOSED to choose our favorite character ending, like collector cereal boxes, and not be surprised by pot luck.
Wahappen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
I love how they treat the movie like the otome game itself, but it's just ridiculous. They can just put all endings in 1 movie. I dont want to pay just to see a 5-min difference ending with the same 1-hour story tbh. This kinda reminds me of Exo's 12 different repackaged albums that came with a Mandarin and Korean version and you have to buy them all simply because you cant be satisfied by just buying 1, tactics! They want to pull out your money 12 times
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Well played. From a business perspective this is genius. I belive PriPara did the same for its movie. This way nobody goes away sad. You want a Rem ending? Buy the Rem ticket. You want the elusive Cerberus to win? Buy his ticket.

First, third and fourth movies. The sections of the movie were released week-by-week, not concurrently.
Kadmos1 wrote:
DmonHiro, from a business perspective, this is also kind of a headache. When it goes onto DVD, will there be 1 DVD with all 6 endings or 1 DVD for each ending? From reading about Japanese business practices here, I go with the latter part of the previous sentence.

In DmonHiro's PriPara example, the first and third movie's Blu-ray releases had the routes selectable through the menus. Because the third movie had all three sections of route-particular material in the same story, there's an option to just view everything in sequence. Fansubs for the first movie used ordered chapters to make each route playable: the third movie just used the option you could choose to have everything in a row (the Ajimi andf Fuwari, Hibiki and FC Club routes in order).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1