• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Seven Deadly Sins: Season 1 BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy564

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Love this series. One of the best newer shonen titles. And it gets even better after the contents of the anime so I'm very excited to see the series to come back next year.

This series, like BNHA, does a great job at genuinely subverting cliches and making its characters compelling by captailizing on the lore they are based on. It also helps that the main cast of Sins are all very memorable and bring something to the interpersonal dynamics.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I loved the show but couldn't help thinking that Ed from FMA had just transported himself to an alternate reality and started calling himself Meliodas Wink
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
other than my hero academia, this series definitely deserves an adult swim broadcast as the latest shonen type series to be broadcasted on that block. it cant depend on dragonball forever. and its only a matter of time before naruto shippuden gets phased out just like one piece. not to mention that it cant depend on reruns of attack of titan until 2018 for season three.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I loved the show but couldn't help thinking that Ed from FMA had just transported himself to an alternate reality and started calling himself Meliodas Wink

Winry would've crucified Ed with her wrenches if he'd tried to do to her even a tenth of what Meliodas did to Elizabeth. They are similar to a degree though, so I'll give you that.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's also worth mentioning that despite Meliodas' hands-on approach to Elizabeth's body (which she's not totally uncomfortable with, but is still highly questionable), the series does pass the Bedchel Test, and for the most part, Meliodas' actions are really the limit of the sexualization.

That's what makes me find the groping so off-putting and out of place: it occurs really early on in the series (first episode, I think?), happens infrequently, is restricted to the interactions between two specific characters (and, by extension, is generally hand-waved / unaddressed by everyone else in the story), and that's it. It isn't present in any other part of the narrative, so when it happens, it's even more noticeable and disruptive to the overall story, not to mention the way Melodias is characterized everywhere else.

The most disappointing thing about it, though, is that since it happens so early on in the series, and since - being a "Netflix original series" or whatever - the show has such high visibility with casual viewers, it perpetuates the Western belief that Japan is some kind of perverted foreign land, where you can't go two feet without seeing someone get groped on the subway... and what kind of benefit is the show getting in exchange for something that, at the end of the day, takes up an extremely small amount of screentime? It would be one thing if it was being done for the purpose of fanservice, but rather than feeling "sexy" or "naughty", it feels like it's just there to fulfill the checklist of the things shonen shows inexplicably need to include in order to become popular.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Quote:
It's also worth mentioning that despite Meliodas' hands-on approach to Elizabeth's body (which she's not totally uncomfortable with, but is still highly questionable), the series does pass the Bedchel Test, and for the most part, Meliodas' actions are really the limit of the sexualization.

That's what makes me find the groping so off-putting and out of place: it occurs really early on in the series (first episode, I think?), happens infrequently, is restricted to the interactions between two specific characters (and, by extension, is generally hand-waved / unaddressed by everyone else in the story), and that's it. It isn't present in any other part of the narrative, so when it happens, it's even more noticeable and disruptive to the overall story, not to mention the way Melodias is characterized everywhere else.

The most disappointing thing about it, though, is that since it happens so early on in the series, and since - being a "Netflix original series" or whatever - the show has such high visibility with casual viewers, it perpetuates the Western belief that Japan is some kind of perverted foreign land, where you can't go two feet without seeing someone get groped on the subway... and what kind of benefit is the show getting in exchange for something that, at the end of the day, takes up an extremely small amount of screentime? It would be one thing if it was being done for the purpose of fanservice, but rather than feeling "sexy" or "naughty", it feels like it's just there to fulfill the checklist of the things shonen shows inexplicably need to include in order to become popular.

Since I'm a girl I'll say right now that the reason people are uncomfortable with it, is because it's played as a comedy gag that just stops being funny and more like, "He's a creepy perv!" I still enjoy the anime a lot. I just found groping as a comedy gag to be really annoying and unfunny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1