• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Premiere Report: Violet Evergarden Episodes 1-2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
Yea, this doesn’t look like a show I can simply binge, so I’m gonna pass on waiting for Netflix. I need a week between episodes to take in the depth. Rest assured I’ll stream it again on Netflix to support KyoAni.
Now I’m hoping this will be a 2-cour anime, but given the amount of detail they’re putting into it, it looks more likely to be a single cour.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
Yaargh matey! I be watching this weekly that I will.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
This is going to be a feast for the eyes, and at least it's going to be dubbed once it hits next Spring. It would be nice if this is going to have a UK dub.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
Every new preview and report on VE just makes my anticipation for it grow exponentially. It really is shaping up to be THE anime of next year and KyoAni's magnum opus.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, no way I can wait long when spoilers will be all over the internet. F Netflix.

"Violet Evergarden is not the standard KyoAni show in content"

Well, if I simplify it seems like it is. KyoAni, in simplest form, creates my favorite anime. Out of thousands of anime, most of their shows still stand above the rest to me. Even the shows people seem to hate I found far more enjoyable than most everything else that aired along side them. In content, I imagine it will be the best of it's season and that is very standard of KyoAni for me. When I see KyoAni as Studio, I get excited. But I always expect the masses to dislike a lot of their shows. So when a show from them gets hyped even by the more casual masses, my excitement goes to a new level. Super excited for Winter.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Yeah, no way I can wait long when spoilers will be all over the internet. F Netflix.

"Violet Evergarden is not the standard KyoAni show in content"

Well, if I simplify it seems like it is. KyoAni, in simplest form, creates my favorite anime. Out of thousands of anime, most of their shows still stand above the rest to me. Even the shows people seem to hate I found far more enjoyable than most everything else that aired along side them. In content, I imagine it will be the best of it's season and that is very standard of KyoAni for me. When I see KyoAni as Studio, I get excited. But I always expect the masses to dislike a lot of their shows. So when a show from them gets hyped even by the more casual masses, my excitement goes to a new level. Super excited for Winter.

They mean in the sense of its setting, taking place in 20th century Europe as opposed to present day Japan.

I don't think the masses, in Japan or otherwise, dislike it as you believe. Aside from their red-headed step children so to speak, their work has generally been well received, at home and abroad, both in terms of critical and viewer opinion and sales. There are definitely those who dismiss much of their work, especially in the last several years, as so much moe, and their work aren't broadly watched super-hits like Attack on Titan or My Hero Academia, but I don't think the masses are as against the studio as you believe. Then again this is coming from someone who has put a KyoAni series in their top 5 of the year for two years running, and will likely make that three.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd heard only more and more good things about this show, and personally, saying that it looks to be the anime of the year for next year would be understating how much I am anticipating it.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to watching this in January! While they only showed the first episode at Anime Expo, it truly was magical. Even if the story ends up being awful (which as the grand prize winner, I highly doubt it won't be great) the show will be worth watching for the animation alone.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:39 am Reply with quote
Oh cool, Evan Call doing the music. I really liked his soundtrack for Schwarzesmarken.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
Also have this marked for January...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1