• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Anime-Gataris

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
This show is hilarious with a wide variety of jokes about anime and light novels. The second episode sped through cliches at a ridicolous rate including the recruitment drive for club members, the break up of the club due to dissenting opinions, the completion of the club, and of course the dissolution of the club by the student council. I have to say that like Gamers this feels like a show that was made by someone that knew the subject matter and that really does make a world of difference.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
About the recruitment for club members scene, when they wore the bunny girl outfits, I thought it could have actually been an anime reference that I may know about. I was thinking to myself that I could have simply been stretching what anime it could be referencing until the background music started playing. I hope that I was not the only one thinking of Haruhi Suzumiya at that moment. Anyone else?

Also, these were solid first two episodes and a nice show so far to watch on Sundays.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
I didn't have huge hopes for this show but it is turning out to be more entertaining than I thought it might. And despite its discussion and use of anime tropes, I was pleased to see it is avoiding some. For example, I like that although Kamiigusa is clearly an "oujo-sama" character, she makes no effort to hide her anime love which would have been the more typical way to deal with a character like her.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I almost didn't even start this show, but figured I'd give it a shot after a couple of the first episode previews, and boy, I'm glad I did. What a fun little thing. I doubt it'll amount to much for a lot of people, but it just makes me happy. Maybe it's because it is pandering to me pretty directly as one of those nerds, but regardless, there's a lot for me to enjoy. The myriad references in basically every scene, the already pretty outstanding rapport between each character, and the over-the-top silliness, all just make it exceptionally charming. It's filling a pretty similar space for me as MMO Junkie right now, to be honest. Both are just sweet, charming shows.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Before I turned off my brain for Anime-Gataris, I had to ponder exactly one thing: what is a “gatari?” I can only guess the title means something like “Anime Stories,” where “gatari” is short for “monogatari,” making this a potpourri of connected tales about anime.
The word element -gatari is probably most recognizable as part of the word for "story", monogatari, but the basic meaning of the verb it's derived from, kataru, is "to talk about (something)". In fact the original series of animated shorts the TV show is based on, called "Anime-Gatari" without the -s, had a theme song called Anime wo Katare! ~Anime-Gatari Dōkōkai no Tēma~ ("Talk about Anime! ~Anime-Gatari Association Theme Song~"), and it showed the members of a university anime research society discussing anime. While the form -gatari normally refers to the act of talking rather than the person doing the talking (for that there are words like katarite, "speaker/narrator", or kataribe, "storyteller"), the title of the second episode "Anime-Gataris, Assemble!" and its focus on gathering the members of the club seems to imply that the title may also be referring to the club members themselves, as the people who talk about anime.

Anyway, I'm liking this so far. I can see how making the viewpoint character an anime rookie who listens in on the discussions with a mixture of awe and confusion can be seen as a way of patting the audience on the back. At the same time, it reminds me of myself before I became an active anime watcher, as I had spent a year prior to that hanging out with anime club members, slowly getting sucked into their discussions (I only actually started watching anime myself some time after I ended up moving away from them to another country). Heck, one of the first anime series I watched was Lucky Star, where I could actively feel tons of references flying way over my head, and yet I just found my curiosity growing more and more. In fact, some of the references may be flying over my head in this show as well, since I haven't watched Re:Zero and have only a superficial familiarity with the character dynamics there. I could definitely relate to both the issues with adaptation they were discussing and to Minoa's mild bewilderment.

The introduction of the supernatural elements at the end of the first episode did catch me off guard though, and the second episode hasn't really done much to make them organically fit the story. Apparently the talking cat was also present in the original shorts, so I guess that's was an inevitable continuity nod, but so far I don't really see what he adds to the story.

Joshua Zarate wrote:
About the recruitment for club members scene, when they wore the bunny girl outfits, I thought it could have actually been an anime reference that I may know about. I was thinking to myself that I could have simply been stretching what anime it could be referencing until the background music started playing. I hope that I was not the only one thinking of Haruhi Suzumiya at that moment. Anyone else?
Yeah, that's very obviously what the scene was referring to (at least, I'm not aware of an earlier anime example of this exact setup). Incidentally, Haruhi Suzumiya was either the first or the second TV anime I watched in its entirety, so that also took me back.

Blood- wrote:
For example, I like that although Kamiigusa is clearly an "oujo-sama" character, she makes no effort to hide her anime love which would have been the more typical way to deal with a character like her.
Yeah, I found this relatable as well. I loved how it seems like the primary reason why she was reluctant to share her love of anime with others in the beginning wasn't a fear of any social stigma, but simply the fact that most people around her likely aren't enough into anime to share her frame of reference. That's certainly more true of my experience as an anime fan than any efforts to "hide my power level" out of a fear of getting nerd-bashed. Though it probably helps that I started watching anime in my 20s, long after any possible high school drama. The closest I ever came to regretting being casually open about my hobbies was when an ex-colleague of mine asked "So what's the difference between anime and hentai?" Rolling Eyes

Last edited by vonPeterhof on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Millhi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:

Also, these were solid first two episodes and a nice show so far to watch on Sundays.

You aren't the only one, the moment the bunny girl outfit came i was reminded of Haruhi and the ost only cemented that. Twas a pretty clear reference imo.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I caught the Haruhi Suzumiya reference too, I posted about it in the series discussion area. I paused it when the bunny outfit was revealed and it was said that bunny girl outfit is needed for getting club members, and that is what happened in Haruhi, with the music being very similar to some of the music in that series, which was cool for actually being subtle. What is kind of cool is that it could arguably be pretty meta as it seemed implied that Alice chose it specific as a reference, mentioning the series later on, and even within Haruhi Suzumiya Haruhi chose to do it because such a thing happens in anime and like.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote
There was also the delightful shout-out to the series, with "Melancholy of a Happy Vuvuzela"! Very Happy

This is fun so far, but the series titles are the best thing, along with Musashisakai...Kai's name. That and how they're milking it almost seems like an homage to Gintama's "Zura janai, Katsura da!"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
This week's best titles: An Uncertain Magical Index next to A Certain Report on the Irresponsible and Depressing Chronicles of Me and a Certain Eccentric Childhood Friend.

I was really hoping to hear the "I Am Human" speech reworked to evangelize the anime club. Alas.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Maoyu didn't pass my three episode test*, so I've apparenlty been completely unaware of one of this decade's most memorable anime speeches Embarassed

The only overlap in the production committees of Akiba's Trip and this show seems to be DMM.com, this time operating under the label "DMM pictures", so I'm guessing they were the ones who got the approval to use AT's OP here, since the music labels are different between the two shows. Oh, and that song's lyricist apparently also wrote the lyrics for the ED of Anime-Gataris, so there's that.

*Okay, according to MAL it technically passed the test, but then I dropped it after episode 4 for some reason Razz
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Maoyu didn't pass my three episode test*, so I've apparenlty been completely unaware of one of this decade's most memorable anime speeches Embarassed

Have you remedied that? Smile If not, it's in episode 9 (or on YouTube).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not Minoa who finds the inner strength to save the anime club (and neither a viewing of MAOYU

Are you sure? Because Kai speech actually seemed pretty clearly to be a reference to the famous speech from that show. The beats were right along the same, with "Do you want to be a background character or a main character?" replacing spoiler["Do you want to be an insect or a human?"]. Even being helped standing afterwards.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:

Have you remedied that? Smile
Well, now I have. It's good, I guess. Kinda mean to insects though Very Happy

I have actually been thinking about picking that one back up anyway, so now I guess I have one more argument in favour of doing that. Thanks, Anime-Gataris!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Quote:
It's not Minoa who finds the inner strength to save the anime club (and neither a viewing of MAOYU

Are you sure? Because Kai speech actually seemed pretty clearly to be a reference to the famous speech from that show. The beats were right along the same, with "Do you want to be a background character or a main character?" replacing spoiler["Do you want to be an insect or a human?"]. Even being helped standing afterwards.

Huh. You're probably right. My flashback when he said that was to the "Townsperson B" episode of the second season of Haikyuu!!, but I guess that's a slightly different message. Very Happy
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
So, Answerman columns should now all just link to this anime. Laughing

And what is the deal with the athletic friend of Minoa? Based on the credits she's never joining the Anime Club (and doesn't need to) so why do they keep going to shots of her? Question
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6