• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What Makes The Ancient Magus' Bride's World So Magical?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
That final punchline is on point.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but it doesn't have the ostentatious or attention-grabbing visual direction we usually get with big, anticipated anime adaptations of beloved works.

I kinda disagree. I feel like all the "big magic" moments so far are exactly that kind of "ostentatious or attention-grabbing" visual I expect from anticipated anime adaptations of beloved works. Exactly what I expect, really.

Quote:
"Not gonna say anything"

But then you literally say something... "licking is only the tip of the iceberg". That's saying SOMETHING. -_-

Anyway, the world building is excellent and not forced and I think that's what makes it "so magical". It's never thrown in your face with long exposition or anything potentially confusing like that.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And Atsumi Tanezaki's performance as Chise is also wonderfully subdued and evocative. Getting her character right was essential to making the anime work, and they nailed that.

So far, FUNimation's English dub has managed to get this right as well. Despite being new to anime, Dani Chambers seems to understand Chise's character, and plays her in a very similar way to the seiyuu; quiet, demure, subtle, but still very capable of emotion when the scene calls for it (her outburst in episode 1 was very well done). How successful she is at getting the character across may vary from person to person, but in my opinion, she's doing a very good job so far.

Dani Chambers and Brian Mathis' Elias Ainsworth are the primary reasons why I'm keeping up with the dub. Brian Mathis' voice is silk to the ears! Anime hyper
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I kinda disagree. I feel like all the "big magic" moments so far are exactly that kind of "ostentatious or attention-grabbing" visual I expect from anticipated anime adaptations of beloved works. Exactly what I expect, really.

From what I can tell from a number of manga readers, even just among the reviewers, they wanted those scenes, at least from the first three episodes, to be even more attention-grabbing and inspired. I think Steve characterized that sentiment correctly. I also agree that anime-only viewers (like ourselves) generally won't have those issues.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
While I don't think I like this show as much as others, I'm going to stick it out and see where it goes as the anime is currently still establishing the status quo.

I also agree that the dub is really well done.
Ronie Peter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
This question of "something more in the direction", I would say that is not properly the director, but the direction of the animation. Adaptations have episode directors, and episodes have animation directors. So it probably would not just depend on the director. Perhaps the protagonist's going to a much more alive world will cause the director to double his efforts and put his creativity to work. But as I said: several factors precede this.
Niello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but it doesn't have the ostentatious or attention-grabbing visual direction we usually get with big, anticipated anime adaptations of beloved works. But at the same time, I find a lot of interesting details and choices in the show's more subdued style.

Couldn't disagree more, with this comment I have to wonder if we are even watching the same show? It's one of the thing that turns me off the most about the adaptation, in fact. It tries too hard to be flashy, and failed most times.

Kougeru wrote:
It's never thrown in your face with long exposition or anything potentially confusing like that.

It does throw out expositions, however, it doesn't have to try as hard as other fantasy series because most of the stuff are based on real world folklores.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
Quote:
but it doesn't have the ostentatious or attention-grabbing visual direction we usually get with big, anticipated anime adaptations of beloved works. But at the same time, I find a lot of interesting details and choices in the show's more subdued style.

Couldn't disagree more, with this comment I have to wonder if we are even watching the same show? It's one of the thing that turns me off the most about the adaptation, in fact. It tries too hard to be flashy, and failed most times.

Kougeru wrote:
It's never thrown in your face with long exposition or anything potentially confusing like that.

It does throw out expositions, however, it doesn't have to try as hard as other fantasy series because most of the stuff are based on real world folklores.

Yea, I don't think I would exactly call this show "subdued" as far as the visual direction, and we've had multiple scenes that put heavy focus on grandiose visuals with similarly grandiose music. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, since it's been mostly pretty stuff, but this show has definitely taken a more hamfisted approach in many areas from my view.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many caught that Ulthar was not just some RNG name for the town.
Niello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
this show has definitely taken a more hamfisted approach in many areas from my view.

That is very nicely put. It's been a while since I have experienced a show where it got me so aware of how much it's trying to manipulate me as a viewer into feeling something during certain scenes, and that just doesn't work. Episode 3 is by far the biggest offender and when it was clear to me why I'm just not enjoying the show. Overall, It's very similar to how over-exaggerated comedies are bland to me. When it's just obvious it's trying to make me laugh, it stops being funny.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
No. Romance! I can't wait until Chise's self assured enough to get away from Bone Daddy! Razz spoiler[She can keep her loyal dog-boy, he can keep his silky-maid, but they don't have to stay together. I also want to see Alice get away from Renfred. I don't trust either guy to treat their apprentice girls as "brides"].

Nick D wrote:
I've read some of the manga-ka's other works.

What other works? Kore Yamazaki's only had one other work released in English, Frau Faust, and its second volume isn't coming out for a week, so The Ancient Magus Bride has been her only manga available in America for years.

The anime is gorgeous. It is best watched in a completely dark room to better appreciate all the lovely glowing colors. It doesn't need to change its visual presentation one bit!
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

What other works? Kore Yamazaki's only had one other work released in English, Frau Faust, and its second volume isn't coming out for a week, so The Ancient Magus Bride has been her only manga available in America for years.

She actually has 3 and a one-shot listed on external sources. Not linking due to the nature of the website. The oldest one, not listed on ANN is a slice-of-life romance comedy that spanned 2 volumes, apparently; came out in 2012, a year before Ancient Magus' Bride in 2013.
Gonbawa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
I find this anime serie more creepy than magical : almost every episode so far is about death, death, and death again. This and the Little Match Girl approach of the first OAVs where nothing good ever happened to the heroine, before she tried to kill herself. Then, she escapes death only to be trade as a slave...
Great magical show, indeed !
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1