• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Police Reaches Dead End in Belgian 'Manga Murder' Case

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaosbladeuk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:07 am Reply with quote
Wow, first Axe murdering people in Japan and now a Death Note murderer on the loose. I hope they catch the killer soon; Death Note's popularity of an anti-hero who kills has obviously affected alot of people >>
R_Amythest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
Surgical precision, eh? Kind of like the deal with Jack the Ripper.

Anyway, I don't think they should rule out the possibility of a new psychopath on the loose, though precise mutilation is ... unusual. All the same, it's not exactly something you'd rule out.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
I am sickened by the thought that people might actually comit murders based on this manga. XP Although it wouldn't be the first case of murders based on entertainment...
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
...Creepy. And there aren't any matching missing persons alerts, yet the victim died 48 hours before being discovered? What on earth could it be...

I'm almost inclined to go the med students route... some college kids have a terrible sense of humor... =_=;
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:19 am Reply with quote
It's one of the police... I'm sure of it...

But it doesnt help that their serial killer died in a car accident years ago either... He could be back from the dead...
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The police also initially hypothesized that this could be a prank by medical students

A sad possibility, but if this was the case, this prank sucks. Imagine if these students were to get certified. Not cool... Evil or Very Mad
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Ooo, follow-up. We so rarely see this in news stories.

I'm opting for the med students. If they managed it will, they might have been able to fudge the inventory lists so it doesn't look as though anything's missing. Beginning of school, things are a tad disorganized usually...

That serial killer mentioned targeted females. Why switch to males? And wouldn't we have seen another body by now?
eloyabun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I vote for the "medical students prank" clue. By the way, if they have to relate that prank to a tv series, I think Dexter would fit better (after all, there are no mutilated body parts in Death Note murders). Rolling Eyes
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I vote that there actually is an insane murderer out there. And that the victims are illegal immigrants with no records or family close by, hence the no missing person reports. And yes, Europe in general has its fair share of illegal immigrants.

With that said, if the parts were cut with such precision, it indicates a patient killer. And if your patient enough to do that, then your likely willing to stalk your prey long enough to determine if anyone will notice them missing. Perhaps even get close to them.

Also the 'Death Note', note that was found, was put there just to throw police off. Any future or past victims will not be killed in the same manner. And each will offer different clues to suggest that the cases aren't linked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
This sounds more like a twisted prank to me than a real murder. It would be extremely odd for a serial killer to leave a note, which is obviously intended to be a taunt, then not do anything more to keep themselves in the news.

Also, I'm glad the Dutch don't seem to be going on a "ban the mange" crusade or at least I don't see a mention of such a thing. It's extremely unlikely that a message referencing Death Note was left behind for any reason beyond that it was cool and taunting. If this were a murder, Death Note certainly didn't cause it, it just added a few style points for the psycho to feel proud of. (I'm thinking twisted prank though.)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
It would be extremely odd for a serial killer to leave a note, which is obviously intended to be a taunt, then not do anything more to keep themselves in the news.

Remember though, the smartest and hardest to catch serial killers have months inbetween killings. And play the media only in as far as it would be to their advantage.

I am not saying you are wrong or anything, you may be right, but I am not yet ready to dismiss things like this so easily. Murderers are often thought of to be the drecks of society, but limiting them to only that role often makes people forget that some can also be highly intelligent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
This looks like a job for L!
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
It does sound like one twisted prank. I also think it could most defenitly be a psycho med student. I don't know any details, but it could be more then one person behind it, possibally around 2-3, since I would think more people would end up just accidentally leaving clues. Only thing I wish I knew was if the precicions made match each other in style. If your a certain kind of precise in one area, but a different style on the other, then it's possible there was another person doing the cutting other then one person. If it's more then one person then I would most definitly agree that it was med school. Possibally a bunch of med students who also happen to be fans of Death Note enough to know the line. It could also be a male, since in order cut something, it would have to be a strong person, especially to hide the rest of the body parts without leaving any trail, or just to cary what body parts were left at the scene. It would also help to know if the victim was of a muscular build or a frailer build, as that could help determin gender and quantity, or at least given a faint idea to go by. Also the one witness said she saw a blonde man there, it could be that they placed to victim there to see if anyone would notice, then decided that if they were to mutulate him, it would garnder more attention. The fact that the legs were shaved could just be a coincidence, and the guy just happened to be one of those people who like smooth legs. But it could very well point to a psychopath. I also think the school is lying when they say it's impossible. Whenever a school says something a long those lines it's usually just because they don't want the school to be associated with hosting a murderer. I would love to follow this case and learn more about it. I hope the police get more clues. Since my rambling thoughts on this ecidence alone are completely worthless (and with more are still just as worthless but whatever, my 2cents).
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah,I would have to agree this seems more like a prank than anything else. When I first heard of the story I thought if could be start of more murders. But since they haven't found any clues this could be just a one hit thing if this is not a prank.
Nermal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
That's so sad. It's also sad how they misspelled "desu."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2