• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Games of The Year 2017

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
At least some people know what the goty of this year is... not like the game awards who didn't even nominated NieR.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I won't listen to the show until a few days from now, but NieR: Automata was pretty clearly the GotY. The only thing that came close in my mind is the game I've been obsessed with for years, Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood, but even then I'm still giving it to NieR.
ICO44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
NieR Automata was absolute masterpiece for me.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
At least some people know what the goty of this year is... not like the game awards who didn't even nominated NieR.

Which makes sense as everyone has these things called "opinions" which play a hand in things like award shows nominating and giving awards to nominees they think are deserving.

Not everyone had Nier Automata as their GOTY just the same as not everyone had Breath Of The Wild for the same category.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Nier: Automata and Breath of the Wild were definitely my favorites this year, with quite a few runner-ups. After hearing about all these titles, there's still a bunch I haven't had a chance to look at.

I also really liked Danganronpa V3. Not just counting the ending (which I thought was crazy good, but I understand someone being thrown off), there were a lot of improvements in the gameplay/minigames which I appreciated.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:47 am Reply with quote
No Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep? I am disappointed.
Cait

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll say that the determining factor in my choice of NieR as my GotY over BotW was story and characterization. Zelda was more fun to play for me but the story was boring and there was virtually no character development even though it did have more interesting side characters overall.

I do have one bone to pick with Zac over the whole "Nines" joke. As someone who played through all the side quests in the game there is one towards the end of the game that re-contextualizes that running gag. If you take on the Unit Data quest you meet 4S, who literally meets 9S for the first time and says, "oh, you're the one they call 'Nines.'" Basically implying that people do call him that and 2B is actually the only person to actively refuse to. You never see him in the game asking anyone else to call him that (he never has an argument about it with 21O, for example), but if he had I'm sure quite a few people would have started (like Emil or Pascal or even his own Pod), meaning he didn't actually actively ask anyone except 2B to refer to him by that name. It was specifically her he wanted to call him that. And the fact that some random other Scanner class android that didn't know him knew about the nickname and immediately started using it kind of makes it really sad for how emotionally isolating it must be for 9S to have the only person he has a real emotional connection to push him away like that. I have more thoughts on it but they're spoilery and I don't have the patience to tag them on my phone atm.

EDIT: Home now. Not sure how much of this is really "spoilers," but I'm going to tag all of it to be safe.

spoiler[So, what I wanted to talk about earlier, was how the Unit Data side quest along with other details throughout the game re-contextualize this "joke" in the face of the truth of 9S and 2B's partnership. Basically, 9S feels isolated, not because he usually works alone--a fact he states several times in the game, but can't be true understanding that an E class android is assigned to S class androids (or at least 9S in particular, though 4S mentions that his "partner" didn't make it either) for a reason--but because he literally has few memories of anyone. Other people have memories of him and as a Scanner he's supposed to be smart and good at observation, so he has to know that there had to have been 9S's before him when he meets people and they're already familiar enough with him to call him by a nickname.

Then he meets his partner (from his perspective for the first time), but it's clear that she knows him, too, but she doesn't use the nickname. So, he brings it up innocuously once and she blows him off (note: he doesn't say "my friends call me Nines," he says "people who know me call me Nines," a subtle distinction, but an important one: they know him, he doesn't know them). Then later she almost slips and says it, implying from her end that there was once a time when she used to call him that, but has chosen to not do so anymore (because why would you slip and call someone by a nickname when no one else around you is actively using it). So, it has to be clear to him that they've been partners in the past, and close enough that she knew and used the nickname before, but has deliberately chosen now not to use it.

A2 even says it at the very final battle that he must have known the truth, and honestly I believe she is right. Just because a person acts oblivious does not mean they are. 9S is smart--smart enough not to show his hand, even to the person he cares about the most, which again is why I argue he feels isolated emotionally rather than physically. This is possibly part of why he struggles at the end of Route B/beginning of C/D with whether or not to reveal what he's discovered to her.

In any event, the point is, while the gag is presented as humorous on the surface, like many details of this game only taken at face value, it's actually a sad truth masquerading as a joke. ]

Last edited by Cait on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I found Breath of the Wild was a boring after playing HZD, and can only assume people love it so much because it's Zelda themed. Horizon Zero Dawn was the GOTY for me.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
My personal Game of the Year: Super Mario Odyssey. It was awesome hearing Pauline sing Jump Up, Super Star. Smile
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
It was by no means GOTY material, but parts of Gravity Rush 2 were outstanding.
Mainly the exploring, taking in the sights, etc..
The online treasure hunts were great as well.
The combat during the boss fights? I lowered the difficulty, as I had trouble figuring out my location in relation to the giant bosses.

I have been looking forward to Persona 5 since mid 2014, when I finished off my umpteenth play through of Golden. My expectations were met and/or succeeded completely.

Since release, I have competed 5 complete plays (Easy, Normal, New Game + Hard, and 2 fresh Hard). After play through 4, I replayed Golden, Persona 3, Persona 3 Portal (Fem MC), and then started number 5. probably near 1000 hours of Persona time this year.
They have my number.
Persona 5's combat has such a cool flow to it, once you become skilled, it is almost like a dance. The whole game oozes style.
For those interested: Ann, Makoto, Kawakami, Haru, then Tae (doctor).
Makoto best girl?
That is an odd way to spell Haru.
She uses a giant axe and a grenade launcher!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1