• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bungo Stray Dogs English Dub Casts Max Mittelman as Atsushi Nakajima

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with LA dubbing this, but I'd imagine the fangirls that were gunning for a FUNimation dub probably will.

I predict Robbie Daymond or Ray Chase will play Osamu Dazai.
catbot158

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Huh, guess Bang Zoom's dubbing this one. Gonna be interesting to see who they cast as everyone else.
I wonder if Funi's Texas actors are only doing exclusively simulcast now, and LA actors get the other anime series and movies that Funi picks up. That's what it's been feeling like, anyway.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
Huh, guess Bang Zoom's dubbing this one. Gonna be interesting to see who they cast as everyone else.
I wonder if Funi's Texas actors are only doing exclusively simulcast now, and LA actors get the other anime series and movies that Funi picks up. That's what it's been feeling like, anyway.
It is possible that CR are mostly in charge of the dub, and being Californian based, it was natural to work with Bang Zoom.Maybe you are right, I have wondered if simuldubs are more resource intensive.
catbot158

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
catbot158 wrote:
It is possible that CR are mostly in charge of the dub, and being Californian based, it was natural to work with Bang Zoom.Maybe you are right, I have wondered if simuldubs are more resource intensive.

Wait, I just remembered they're dubbing Space Battleship Yamato 2199 this season, and they dubbed Gosick earlier this year. So maybe Funimation is just the distributor for a couple of Crunchyroll series.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
L.A. voice actors have been in dubs with Texas voice actors before. They may have flown in or are recording their lines remotely.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll announced they planned to dub several titles before their partnership with Funimation so most of them were and are recorded in California.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/07/01-1/crunchyroll-to-bring-kabaneri-of-the-iron-fortress-and-more-to-blu-ray-dvd

Wouldn't be surprised if Big Order and Twin Star Exorcists are California dubs too.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
^ As long as KONOSUBA's a FUNimation dub, Cali can dub any other Crunchyroll show they want.
Vannil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
^ As long as KONOSUBA's a FUNimation dub, Cali can dub any other Crunchyroll show they want.

It needs to get licensed first.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

It needs to get licensed first.

I know. Man, what is going on with that show? And Re:Zero for that matter.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
inb4 FOR REAL?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote
Given that most Eng. dubs are done by Funi nowadays, this CR plan helps lessen that semi- monopoly.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
catbot158 wrote:

Wait, I just remembered they're dubbing Space Battleship Yamato 2199 this season, and they dubbed Gosick earlier this year. So maybe Funimation is just the distributor for a couple of Crunchyroll series.
I thought Gosick was from Funimation, it has a lot of Funimation and Sentai voice actors; Apphia Yu, Elizabeth Maxwell, David Wald, Monica Rial, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Luci Christian etc. I know it contains some LA voice talents, but I thought it was at least a co-production.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
Crunchyroll announced they planned to dub several titles before their partnership with Funimation so most of them were and are recorded in California.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/07/01-1/crunchyroll-to-bring-kabaneri-of-the-iron-fortress-and-more-to-blu-ray-dvd

Wouldn't be surprised if Big Order and Twin Star Exorcists are California dubs too.

True enough. I think it comes down to how far along they were in getting a contract with an LA studio prior to the partnership. Berserk and Kabeneri are LA dubs, but Yamada and Myriad Colors are Funimation dubs. The simuldub for Mob Psycho 100 ended up being delayed because it turned out to actually be an LA dub, which I don't think the public knew about until shortly before it started.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I thought Gosick was from Funimation, it has a lot of Funimation and Sentai voice actors; Apphia Yu, Elizabeth Maxwell, David Wald, Monica Rial, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Luci Christian etc. I know it contains some LA voice talents, but I thought it was at least a co-production.

Gosick IS a FUNi title, it was one of the shows they picked up as part of their Kadokawa package deal (which also included Nichijou, Hyouka, Record of Lodoss War & others) and as for the LA VAs, they traveled to Dallas themselves to participate in that dub.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
For those of us wondering on it being a case of the LA-based talent dubbing at Funi, HQ, my Twitter handle of @Kadmos2 asked @KaijiTang about about this. He said it's an LA recording.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1