• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Personal 2017 Anime Awards

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:18 am Reply with quote
I don't know about others, but the full list of anime we had for 2017 can feel a little overwhelming, can almost be hard to remember some of the shows that may have had an impact on us in the year. And so this brings me to this topic, you are free to make up any type award and give or nominate a series, character or anything else anime related, and the rewards can be positive, negative, way to specific, or any other way that you think might be interesting.

Biggest CGI surprise: Kemono Friends
With the Fall Season you probably could just as much nominate Land of the Lustrous at being surprisingly good, but it was all the way at the start of the year that had people practically shocked in surprise. Kemono Friends did not start out quite popular, the animation looked kind of weird, and the story could only be described as something you would see aimed at children, and voice work was fairly amateur, it practically ended up dead on arrival. But something weird happened, those who continued to watch it discovered that there was something amazing hidden under the surface, there was a deeper environmental story telling, a fun sense of genuine interest in the animal aspect, a surprisingly engaging story, music was catchy, and most importantly I think everything about the characters was charming. All the parts that made it feel like initially it would be no good, in turn oozed charm, that took advantage of the CGI in a way that was again quite surprising.

Best Creepy Villain: Magane Chikujoin (Re:Creators)
You know how sometimes they say that villains can be the best and most fun characters? Well for a number of people I think Magane was certainly that. She was indeed a villain, with a number of kills under her belt, she pretty much written to be the embodiment of such characters, like a mix between Izaya from Durarara and Ougi from Monogatari. She is creepy, she is insane, and she knows it so she will turn everything around her into a game. Somehow this part of her came out as being very fun, and as a wild card added some pretty interesting elements to the rest of the story.

Show with the biggest Mary Sue Character: In Another World With My Smartphone
A number of show recently had decided to somewhat parody the power fantasy where the main character is made perfect, everyone loves them, and they can do everything, Konosuba and Re:Zero were two cases that turned the power fantasies on their head. But somehow, we ended up after both of these shows with In Another World With My Smartphone, a show that seemed to try and play straight the exact things the other shows mocked or deconstructed. The main character gets reborn in another world and can take one thing with him, which he chooses to be a smartphone, which makes you think, okay, sure that is useful in our daily lives, but I can't see how that could be of use in another world. Well on top of that the main character essentially has all of his stats maxed out, can learn anything quickly, can use every magic including the ones that are unique to person, and can apply it all to his phone in ridiculous ways. He uses the same gimmicky spell that beats everyone, can exploit to the without limit beat an entire enemy by multiplying power, and of course makes an ally of everyone including gaining a varied harem with a princess. It practically ended up strangely interesting for actually having the guts to do all of this.

Most Chill Post-Apocalypse Scenario: Girls' Last Tour
If one heard that there was a show that was set with two girls trying to survive in the barren landscape of previous civilization as they may be the last people on Earth, you would probably expect the worst. The fact that the designs of the characters looked so cute or moe would not even chase away that fact, what with things like Made in Abyss which could use the cute designs effectively in a horror situation. But Girls' Last Tour is actually a super chill experience, rather than plain feeling pity for them, you actually kind of feel for all the little things they get or experience, and how you probably should appreciate such things in your own life. Just pondering about things around you, having a nap, eating some food, having a roof over your head. The show does kind of put a question of maybe asking what do you live for if you have no real big goal, but that living itself can be reason enough, and maybe a little curiosity you can experience something new.

DuskyPredator's Favourite Anime of 2017: Princess Principal
Yeah, this is a standard what was my favourite show of the year thing, and there is also the likes of Kobyashi's Dragon Maid which could put up a good fight along with the Little Witch Academia TV anime for what I think might be the best of the year. But for me it was the steampunk spy show, which had gorgeous animation, music, acting, and story. I had my expectations low because we had a group of ragtag teenagers who were master spies, but as the show went on and explored these characters, I did fall in love with them, my favourite being the character I might have thought to like the least. Episodes were not always in chronological order, but the order it was in seemed to create this real sense of understanding something a bit differently from before, and maybe rethinking what I had thought before. The episode that was set in a morgue might be might favourite episode of the year, the end practically gave me chills. The story was fun, there was a surprising depth, and I can't wait for the chance that I might be able to reenter that world again.

Anyone else have any personal awards they want to give?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
To prevent redundancy, let's reserve this thread for awards that wouldn't be covered by the Best of 2017 series - IOW, beyond Top 5, Best Opener/Closer, Best Character, Worst Anime, and Best Scene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I guess I could come up with a personal award of my own.

Best Couple: Willem x Chtholly (SukaSuka / WorldEnd)
It's not groundbraking or anything, but I found myself really invested in this ship. Maybe it's the tragic and sad nature of the story that makes everyone moment they share all the more precious. Willem is a bit stuck in the past and considers the younger Chtholly to be a mere child at first, but Chtholly's persistence does finally break through. Willem embracing Chtholly (couple times)spoiler[ and finally proposing to her] give the ultimate sweet feels.

Biggest CGI surprise: GANTZ:O
Not sure if this one counts because I didn't watch a whole lot of CGI anime and the movie actually premiered in Japan in 2016 but it became available on Netflix in 2017. Visually this 3D CG movie was worlds apart from other CG animes that I've seen. It was like a cutscene from a Final Fantasy game. It had really fluid and detailed animation. Seeing some of the Gantz universe's cool things like the large mecha and power armour in action in such fluid animation was quite a treat. The movie was a bit odd in terms of content. It didn't really follow the manga or the live-action movies (I think?) and was kind of a confused stand-alone movie. It was probably a bit confusing to newcomers while also not really following the source material by changing the story and cutting out some of the most interesting characters that appeared in the Osaka arc in the manga.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
This post counts only 2017 that finished their initial run by 12/31, including simuldubs. For me, "Hand Shakers" get the award for the worst 2017 anime. Why? Because of the title, the brocon sister, and the title. For best, it was "Sakura Quest". The main reason for me was the
simuldub.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote
I need to watch more anime from the current year. I've only seen the season 2s (Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia, and Konosuba), Made in Abyss, Tsurezure Children, and some of Re:Creators. I'd love some recommendations so I can make my proper awards.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:48 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I need to watch more anime from the current year. I've only seen the season 2s (Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia, and Konosuba), Made in Abyss, Tsurezure Children, and some of Re:Creators. I'd love some recommendations so I can make my proper awards.

Here are some recommendations from me to you, louis6578:

Little Witch Academia, Princess Principal, Girls’ Last Tour, Land of the Lustrous, Saga of Tanya the Evil, Sakura Quest, and The Ancient Magus’ Bride.

I’ve got more if you want, but hopefully these anime from this year can serve you well.
Ignorecreate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
My favorite that came out last year was Made in Abyss,I love this anime but some other good show are Youjo Senki,Boku no Hero Academia 2nd season,Attack on Titan 2nd season,and Inuyashiki
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1