• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Films Receive Oscar Nominations

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garlogan78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:16 am Reply with quote
How are anime films expected to compete with The Boss Baby?
AkaRed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 am Reply with quote
Hope Loving Vincent win.
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:26 am Reply with quote
The Best Animated Feature category has been a joke for several years now. The Oscar voters (who vote on what will be nominees as well as on what wins) just seem to both not have the time or want to understand the breadth of animated films, and watch the ones that are clearly of high quality enough that it'll get them nominated. When an anime does get nominated these days, it almost seems to be by circumstance, like a flip of the coin, when really, let's face it, at least one should be, every year.

That said, it's possible that some of the blame for this could be laid at the feet of the production companies themselves. A film needs to run for two weeks in an LA theater to qualify to be nominated. They seem to have mostly covered the bases with the films that were submitted this year, but I don't think Wolf Children got a qualifying run a few years back.

Last edited by InimitableUman on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Encore22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
Love how you added that [expletive] Zootopia "beat" Your Name last year. That's just hilarious.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
Hasn't voting expanded this year so that any Academy members can vote for any category? I don't know how else to explain Boss Baby and Ferdinand. I really can't understand informed members putting those up contention. Not that I've seen them, but Jeez man.

Although, also, do not discount the power of campaigning. Back when I was getting a free sub to The Hollywood Reporter, it was constant and relentless. If you put your name out to the voters- they will remember you.

Anime does not get campaigning.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
I chucked when I seen Ordinal Scale was nominated lol.

But honestly, the Oscars have always been daft at covering all of their bases with their animated film entries. They only stick to what they know and seldomly venture beyond that threshold of comfort.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
This surprises absolutely no one.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:52 am Reply with quote
Well, obviously no one bothered to send the committee No Game No Life Zero for their consideration
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote
Recently, I've been thinking that critics hold too much weight on "graphics". Yeah, a bit controversial, but a major reason why I don't like the Last Jedi is because the basic story telling elements were off, even though its production values were high and it looked good as a movie.

Anime in general doesn't have high budget compared to 3D American movies, so it can't really compete in graphical fidelity.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:17 am Reply with quote
The Boss Baby and Ferdinand...that's just plain insulting. Even the Lego movies that came out this past year deserved the nomination more, to say nothing of movies like A Silent Voice and In This Corner of the World.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
Weird that 2016´s In This Corner of the World snook in for the 2017 releases and it´s the sole anime film worthy of awards from last year.
I am now off to watch Loving Vincent and will wait for The Breadwinner to hit the web/my country. We all know who will win though.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
So, what was it about "Spirited Away" that won Best Animated Picture at the 75th Academy Awards that had it so far become the only anime movie to win that category? There have been anime films released since then could have and should have won that category.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
For anyone wondering why anime gets ignored... go back and read Justin's Answerman on the topic of Anime at the Oscars. For the tl;dr, nobody at the Academy gives a shit about animation, probably didn't even watch any of the movies, and will vote for whatever movie is the most popular. In the rare cases (eg Spirited Away) that anime does get any attention, it's because they have a powerhouse like Disney throwing marketing money at it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
Encore22 wrote:
Love how you added that [expletive] Zootopia "beat" Your Name last year. That's just hilarious.

Zootopia doesn't only beat Your Name., it takes it behind the shed on a weekly basis. I own both on BD and there's only one of them which I've seen more than once already and one I plan on seeing multiple times past that.

And it ain't Your Name. .... . [expletive] punctuation, what is the [expletive] point of it?

For this year, love Loving Vincent. It should be the easy winner. So it'll probably be Coco.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote
And the winner is.... Coco! Seriously, let's not pretend it's not going to be Coco, it's Disney and it was well liked by both audiences and critics. I haven't seen Coco yet, but I'm sure I will eventually. The movie I'm actually excited to see though? Breadwinner (and if any of you haven't seen Secret of Kells or Song of the Sea, go fix it now!) and it sounds like I will be checking out Loving Vincent too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5