• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online the Movie: Ordinal Scale Limited Edition Blu-ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The commentary also makes it clear that the staff is well aware of overseas reactions to the movie.

I haven't seen SAO, so what is this referring to? Did most fans not like the film?
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
Not the biggest fan of SAO, but I’ve seen both seasons and probably would like to see the movie. I’m too lazy to pirate it, and I don’t want to spend $40 for the BD, so I’ll just wait till it’s on Netflix or something. Hopefully that will happen before Alicization.

Last edited by LegitPancake on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
Review doesn't address the important question: were Asuna's nipples worth the price?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I haven't seen SAO, so what is this referring to? Did most fans not like the film?

No, they were aware that crowd reaction was very positive and they were both surprised and impressed by the level of appreciation. Several of them also remarked on their experiences seeing the movie with a foreign crowd; apparently Western crowds tend to be more demonstrative about showing their appreciation in the theater than Japanese crowds are. But that's in line with comments I've seen Japanese voice actors, production personnel, and singers make about their experiences with fans at American anime conventions: they're often surprised and impressed by how open and friendly Western fans are.

Lemonchest wrote:
Review doesn't address the important question: were Asuna's nipples worth the price?

Given that the exposure might not even last a full second, is from the side, and you basically have to pause to get a good view of it, I'd say "not on its own." But Asuna has perennially been one of the most popular female anime characters over the past few years and has only teased nudity before rather than actually showing it, so I can understand why it's considered a huge deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of how you feel about the series, it does have a passionate fan base here and I’m glad that appreciation was noticed by them.

As for the film, it’s SAO. You know what you’re gonna get.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I NEED IT. I loved this movie.

I wish Aniplex wasn't so anal about their distributors...=_= otherwise I could buy it at Best Buy or even Walmart. Ergh...
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I can understand why it's considered a huge deal.

I thought the thing about Asuna's nipple had to be some sort of inside joke. To get so excited about seeing a nipple seemed so ridiculous to me.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Key wrote:

I thought the thing about Asuna's nipple had to be some sort of inside joke. To get so excited about seeing a nipple seemed so ridiculous to me.

For some fans this will be as close as they'll come to seeing their girlfriend naked for the first time - after 5+ years of waiting. Previously all they've had to go on are stories of some of her more...adventerous trysts.
seltzermx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Cam0 wrote:
Key wrote:

For some fans this will be as close as they'll come to seeing their girlfriend naked for the first time - after 5+ years of waiting. Previously all they've had to go on are stories of some of her more...adventerous trysts.

And is it me, or are her breasts substantially bigger than in the original SAO animes (not that I mind). In the original anime they looked like decent B's. In the movie bath scene, those were large C's or borderline D's.
TUSF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
numerous plot holes and practical issues become evident
And yet not a single one is mentioned.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
won't alleviate criticisms of Kirito being too perfect

Anyways, while I enjoyed the movie the complete lack of Suguha is a serious deal breaker and I decided not to buy it. As such Extra Edition is still the only SAO blu ray I have.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
After the original arc of SAO, I haven't really cared much for it except for Suguha/Leafa, the music (OP/ED included), and the fight scenes. Unfortunately, I was disappointed about the lack of Suguha, even more so due to the fact that Asuna got a nipple scene before her when she had her own bath scene in the 1st season. I feel like they owe Suguha fans now regarding that so hopefully they'll please us with that next season.

Anyway, the movie was okay. Best parts were (as expected since I just said it), Suguha/Leafa, the music (OP/ED included), and the fight scenes (dat sakuga). I loved that one insert song that sounded exactly like "to the beginning" from Fate/Zero. Laughing Also, I liked the Digimon Bokura no War Game reference that the staff added.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:54 am Reply with quote
I found it a little funny when I read the synopsis. All the girls were mentioned by their real names while the guys were mentioned by their online handles especially Klein.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 am Reply with quote
seltzermx wrote:
And is it me, or are her breasts substantially bigger than in the original SAO animes (not that I mind). In the original anime they looked like decent B's. In the movie bath scene, those were large C's or borderline D's.

I came for comments such as these and this thread did not disappoint.

Why the men of this country haven't organized an OppaiCon is beyond me.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2