• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mitsuboshi Colors (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:58 am Reply with quote

Mitsuboshi Colors (TV)

Genres: comedy, slice of life

Plot Summary: In a certain corner of a certain park in a certain Ueno area of Tokyo exists the secret base of the "justice organization" called "Colors." A group of three elementary school girls lead Colors, and the members of the group roam the park day and night (actually just until evening) to protect the peace of the park.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

A surprisingly funny first episode of a slice of life starring three such young girls. I have not really seen it mentioned anywhere, but it sort of reminds me specifically of Ichigo Mashimaro. The art style looks similar, and the girls also do not act too dissimilar. Not that I will accuse it of copying or something, this has some good writing and such.

I think my favourite joke was when the yellow haired one was going into the bakery while saying "poop", we see a lady leaving the store not amused, and the other two wait outside because they have seen the scene that just created, and shortly afterwards the girl comes out and says that they yelled at her a lot. Like that was all that was needed to play on the audience knowing that what was happening. Even parts like the silly glasses that pop out via springs was funny, and those things are never funny.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 am Reply with quote
This is an example of a CGDCT show that I can get behind. It was genuinely funny and it offered more than just a group of girls sitting around having inane conversations. Really liked everything about the episodes. Seems like a keeper.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:13 am Reply with quote
It was good. Kind of a curious take on the "free range children" stories like Yotsuba or Strawberry Marshmallow because without context, the "families", showing where those characters come from and go, it comes off like these are just adults who look like children.

I don't know, there's something weird about it. Like a girl getting off on putting her foot on someone's head kind of weird. I need to watch more episodes to get a good grasp on my feeling but there's something more to it that the precocious girl, Red, who's like Yotsuba or the bratty girl Yellow who'd fit right in with the Strawberry Marshmallow girls.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
Red is nothing like Yotsuba. Red is clearly being portrayed as the timid somewhat more "responsible" girl in the bunch. I.e. nothing like Yotsuba at all.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the character chemistry and the comedy overall so far.

All three of the girls stand out in their own way and collectively, they are just so fun to watch! I'm going to look forward to this show every week.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first episode and found myself laughing quite often! Looks like the police officer, Saito, is going to be a very busy man! I also enjoying seeing the familiar sights of Ueno throughout the episode, as it reminded me of my last visit to Tokyo two years ago!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Wow, are they brats. Those banana selling methods were pure evil. Which still makes it very entertaining. The part with the old lady being terrified was quite funny, like the mother commenting that the costumes were creepy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

The trip to the zoo was fun. I was actually reminded me a little of Kemono Friends, which always managed to have this sort of feeling of going and learning from a zoo. The part about the mice, also had me laugh, where they question that if they can multiply so fast, then why was there so few of them, which they put together as feeding them to the other animals. The zookeeper denied it, but I also think it is highly likely, and that it would just be in poor taste to say it in front of all the young children.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

It is finished, and it does leave me feeling a little sad to see it as such. Starting off with the segment, was a pretty perfect way to do a last episode, with all the subtle imperfections just adding to it. A highlight was when Sacchan started talking about how mum being cute, where it became clear that mother and daughter are quite similar in the acting cute department, with a slow zoom in on Yui's dead eyed face, along with that part having Sacchan mention the thing that her mother does not want as such. Along with the rest of the episode having the girls being as distracted as normal, and conning people out of money again (selling fruit).

I really think Mitsuboshi Colors was a good show, giving similar shows a run for their money, like Ichigo Mashimaro, and straight up selling the being a kid thing. And it really was not a case that these were perfect little angels, they could be brats, but was somehow always charming. And genuinely funny moments of these guys interacting with their surroundings. I think coming along the lines that these clearly should have little to no power, that it would mostly be in their fantasies that they would usually be able to dictate things, but they don't let the fantasies stay in their head, and somehow manage to bring everyone else into their games. With Pops enabling their games with attention, to Saito showing that even though he is an adult and a police officer, he is not so above kid like tendencies, where despite being a villain in their games, I think he is actually very close to them, and a police officer with a watch on them could be a good idea.

I give this show a rating of Very good (8/10), something highly encouraged to check out, as long as you are open to a show just being about a bunch of kids goofing around. Is something I will be missing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1