• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Brother's Husband Ranks in YALSA's Top 10 Graphic Novels for Teens

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I feel like The Promised Neverland should have made the top 10 list as well. That first volume is phenomenal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I’m so happy LGBT manga is on the list.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:54 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Me too. Several titles.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:48 am Reply with quote
Happy to see Dreamin' Sun on the list a little sad that To Your Eternity did not make the cut though.
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:29 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

So you don't care about the manga quality as long as it's "gay"?
Cetais

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:25 am Reply with quote
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

So you don't care about the manga quality as long as it's "gay"?
God, what are you implying?

Just seeing an LGBT manga dealing with homosexuality in Japan in an american top 10 list is impressive enough. One that isn't like all those homophobic BL/yaoi.

It's mostly impressive because there's no other manga dealing with issues like that, in such a blunt way right in the beginning.
Mhora

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Just seeing an LGBT manga dealing with homosexuality in Japan in an american top 10 list is impressive enough. One that isn't like all those homophobic BL/yaoi.
It might be homophobic to you, but you should distinguish between what is homophobic and what is fetish and/or cultural differences, and made for different demograhics. I have no problem with most BL and yaoi in general. This coming from a gay guy in Norway.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote
They are some pretty big omissions IMO, but its really cool to see I hear the sunspot there. It was a phenomenal 1st volume. Just got the second volume too.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see My Brother's Husband is doing well and I keep hoping someone will license the live action drama for streaming. I hope this will lead to more diverse LGBTQ-themed manga being made beyond the typical BL and yuri genres.
psiho66

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Ok why the F*ck are they marking Seinen titles like: My Brother’s Husband, Bungo Stray Dogs, Erased, Hana & Hina After School, School-Live! and your name. as series "For Teens" ??? they have done the same sh*t last year as well with Tokyo Ghoul and Devil's Line again series that are Seinen, Its quite stupid if you ask me.
tentensan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
psiho66 wrote:
Ok why the F*ck are they marking Seinen titles like: My Brother’s Husband, Bungo Stray Dogs, Erased, Hana & Hina After School, School-Live! and your name. as series "For Teens" ??? they have done the same sh*t last year as well with Tokyo Ghoul and Devil's Line again series that are Seinen, Its quite stupid if you ask me.

Um, well because a large demographic of anime fans are reading this stuff in their teens. Hell when I was even younger than a teen like around 10 or 11 I was reading those types of manga. As anime becomes more mainstream a lot of teens end up reading the edgy stuff. Anyways, I'm glad for this list. I'm glad to see lgbt titles too. Hopefully this becomes the norm in Japan along with what they're usually doing so everyone finds something they like.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I'd say My Brother's Husband works well for a teen demographic especially because of its subject matter. Doubly so in Japan given they historically have a lack of education on the subject.

I'm happy to see it is doing well!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:33 am Reply with quote
psiho66 wrote:
"For teens" is a broad category that include anyone from 13 to 18 year olds as 18 year olds are still considered to be teenagers and 18 year olds would be part of the seinen demographic. It is inaccurate to assume "for teens" automatically means only the younger tween set while ignoring the older teen demographic.
psiho66

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
psiho66 wrote:
"For teens" is a broad category that include anyone from 13 to 18 year olds as 18 year olds are still considered to be teenagers and 18 year olds would be part of the seinen demographic. It is inaccurate to assume "for teens" automatically means only the younger tween set while ignoring the older teen demographic.

I'm not talking about "For teens" meaning younger tweens, for teens means for teens the whole age range thats what shounen is if you want to nitpick series like Attack on Titan, Claymore or Akame ga kill are targeted at older teens and series like Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail are targeted at mid to early teens, but thats just nitpicking at this point and a 13 year old and an 18 year old have almost similar life experiences with a few exceptions of status in law and drivers license (you can have a drivers license at 16 in some places but majority is 18) but them still being in school is the main thing, yes you can say 19 year old graduates high school and has to go work or seek higher education (or both) but that doesn't change the fact "For Teens" means aimed at 13 - 18 age range like the Hunger Games or Maze Runner which is what shounen is as oppose to seinen that targets adults in their 20s 30s and up and thats why in Devils liner or Tokyo Ghoul the main characters are in their 20s. Thats why Shounen = Teens, Seinen = Adults, you can nitpick what age group it covers but Seinen ≠ Teen. thats like making a Steven King novel in the same category as a teen novel like the Hunger Games. Its the same as normal literature where you have 3 target demographics children, Teens and Adult and with manga its the same.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
psiho66 wrote:
Thats why Shounen = Teens, Seinen = Adults, you can nitpick what age group it covers but Seinen ≠ Teen. thats like making a Steven King novel in the same category as a teen novel like the Hunger Games. Its the same as normal literature where you have 3 target demographics children, Teens and Adult and with manga its the same.

That's super nitpicky. The target audience just tell readers with who in mind something was written for, it doesn't mean anyone else can't get any enjoyment out of it. There is a huge span of overlap.
Now, I don't know how it's done in the US, but it's absolutely not true that people under 18 read books for teens only and people over 18 only read books written for "adults". Most readers I knew as a teen slowly and gradually moved on from childrens books to YA to 'light' literature for adults to 'propper' literature. They also moved back and forth however they liked, according to their taste.

Also, it's not as if most seinen manga are high literature. The real barrier for reading stuff for older people doesn't seem to be the level of violence so much as not getting bored by mundane or dry topics. Tokyo Ghoul isn't exactly Dostojewski.
Most manga are light reading. Even seinen. As long as there's not too much gore or sex, I don't see why they souldn't be recommended to teens. They sure appealed to me back in the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2