• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Silver Spoon GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Hiromu Arakawa's agricultural coming of age tale's anime adaptation reached English-speakers long before now, which makes it feel like a real treat to finally get the chance to read the manga. Based roughly on her own experiences growing up in Hokkaido, Silver Spoon is the story of Yuugo Hachiken, an academically gifted student from a fairly prestigious Sapporo school system who flees the dissatisfaction of his life for an agricultural high school in the middle of nowhere. This first volume balances Hachiken's mental state with farm life humor, and the result is a volume that feels both grounded and comedic in equal measures.

so what does it mean? is it a factual version of the author's life? (even though the author is a girl) Or does this mean that its a crossover of fact & fiction manga which have some similarities on how she grew up? which kinda doesnt make sense to me , cause if i remember Hokkaido is a big time city. not a country side like place like Okinawa or the towns near Mt Fuji. sure its not as big as say Shibuya, Tokyo or Osaka , but still....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Caramichael

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
If I had to take a guess, and after reading her autobiography Noble Farmers (I'm not sure if it's the title in English), I would say that Arakawa is more reflected inside Mikage than Hachiken. However, having at this time in her life lived (and raised a child) in the city, she can bring both point of view in this work.

Also, I think you're confusing Hokkaido and Sapporo, which is the regional capital of the region (and island) of Hokkaido. If I had to draw a comparison, Tokyo would be New York, while Sapporo would be closer to Houston or other mid-west cities, it's not small, but it's not a megalopolis.
Mhora

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Some farming aspects won't sit well with some readers? Why would you read a manga about farming in the first place if real life scares you? Dear God. More people probably should know more about what they stuff into their food holes! It's healthy knowledge.
Mojave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Hiromu Arakawa's agricultural coming of age tale's anime adaptation reached English-speakers long before now, which makes it feel like a real treat to finally get the chance to read the manga. Based roughly on her own experiences growing up in Hokkaido, Silver Spoon is the story of Yuugo Hachiken, an academically gifted student from a fairly prestigious Sapporo school system who flees the dissatisfaction of his life for an agricultural high school in the middle of nowhere. This first volume balances Hachiken's mental state with farm life humor, and the result is a volume that feels both grounded and comedic in equal measures.

so what does it mean? is it a factual version of the author's life? (even though the author is a girl) Or does this mean that its a crossover of fact & fiction manga which have some similarities on how she grew up? which kinda doesnt make sense to me , cause if i remember Hokkaido is a big time city. not a country side like place like Okinawa or the towns near Mt Fuji. sure its not as big as say Shibuya, Tokyo or Osaka , but still....

Hokkaido is the entire major northern island of Japan. It has some big cities such as Sapporo, but on the whole it's much less urban than the rest of Japan. Much of the wilderness found in Japan is located on Hokkaido. It's also where the indigenous Ainu people and culture are mainly found in modern Japan.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Is Silver Spoon still on hiatus in Japan? Of all Arawaka’s work, I probably like her adaptation of Arslan the most, but Silver spoon has some great humor and some very Adachi-esque low-key, relatable drama. Definitely one of the better SoL/Trade genre works I’ve read.

Mhora wrote:
Some farming aspects won't sit well with some readers? Why would you read a manga about farming in the first place if real life scares you? Dear God. More people probably should know more about what they stuff into their food holes! It's healthy knowledge.

Silver Spoon is about a lot more than just farming, and those other elements are probably the more questionable ones. And personally, yeah, I can see why some people wouldn’t want to see graphic depictions of how the sausage is made. There’s a world of difference between knowing how a thing works, and seeing it, and it seems silly to me to belittle others for being a bit squeamish.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
And personally, yeah, I can see why some people wouldn’t want to see graphic depictions of how the sausage is made. There’s a world of difference between knowing how a thing works, and seeing it, and it seems silly to me to belittle others for being a bit squeamish.
Yeah sure... in manga that aren't about farming and dealing with livestock. Anyone complaining about graphic depictions of Silver's Spoon's very own subject matter makes them look like a sheltered, coddled infants who can't deal with drawings on paper, much less the real world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1